We might have destroyed the way of living of another planet.

Zombie Biscuit

Just think about it. When SETI sent the message to space...

It was a sunny day in a planet in the Alpha Centauri system, people watching their TVs and suffering yearly attacks from terrorists that hate their freedom. Until... all the channels are obstructed by a strange message. The governments of the planet gather their smartest scientists, that deciphered the message as a warning, something to give them a chance in this unfair fight. The governments of that planet are united under a single banner and all of the population is enslaved under a military dictatorship.

We never came, but the dictatorship never ended, because THE ONES IN POWER LIKED IT! How do you feel now, human race? Can you live knowing that you might have destroyed the life of billions and billions of other peoples?

Poor Kerbals... still trying to develop a reliable space program.

No, I\'d say it\'s more like:

Some giant military satellite array picks up an acient message traveling at the speed of light. Scientists decipher the message as primitive communication and learn that there\'s other inteligent life in the galaxy, or atleast there was.

No, I\'d say it\'s more like:

Some giant military satellite array picks up an acient message traveling at the speed of light. Scientists decipher the message as primitive communication and learn that there\'s other inteligent life in the galaxy, or atleast there was.

And then a fleet of space ships that travel faster than the speed of light gets to them and kick their ass because their planet is nice and comfy and ours is like Mars. Their life style = blown

Or...... They come to us and enslave us for being stupid enough to send a message to other people in the galaxy that may or may not be smarter then us and have more powerful weapons of mass destruction...........or be are friends. =P

Or...... They come to us and enslave us for being stupid enough to send a message to other people in the galaxy that may or may not be smarter then us and have more powerful weapons of mass destruction...........or be are friends. =P

And they let us live in their planets, wich are being slowly destroyed by our way of living. Unfortunately, they are less resistant to solar radiation than we are, and soon they are all dead too.

Or, if they want to kill us all, they forget that they have modified themselves to be able to live in space (without breathing), where there are no other forms of life. Then they get killed by our viruses. The end.

And they let us live in their planets, wich are being slowly destroyed by our way of living. Unfortunately, they are less resistant to solar radiation than we are, and soon they are all dead too.

How would that be unfortunate we get a free planet with all there technology with it.

You know, until we are capable of traveling to other worlds, it\'s stupid to try and communicate with other civilizations. If there is another alien race, and they can travel to Earth, and they want to destroy us, they will. They would be too technologically advanced to even make us a threat to them.

You know, until we are capable of traveling to other worlds, it\'s stupid to try and communicate with other civilizations. If there is another alien race, and they can travel to Earth, and they want to destroy us, they will. They would be too technologically advanced to even make us a threat to them.

A million times this!

Or for us to have anything that they would want.

Raw resources, slave labor, study, worship, breeding. It my seem a bit ridiculous, but if we\'re talking about extremely advance beings, the only real limit would be their physical form and culture.

Exactly, and they would not be defeated by anything we throw at them. Our only hope would be

a) A friendly alien race shows up to defend us

B) A virus or disease that they did not find

c) The Doctor

Other than those three, we should just activate the Osterhargen program.

Raw resources, slave labor, study, worship, breeding. It my seem a bit ridiculous, but if we\'re talking about extremely advance beings, the only real limit would be their physical form and culture.

They can get raw resources from anywhere. Just mine a few asteroids. And slave labour? I fail to see how they could be advanced enough to travel interstellar distances easily, and not have robots. I doubt that a war is necessary for study. Breeding? :-\ I don\'t even know what to say about one.

B) A virus or disease that they did not find

Viruses are species specific-it\'s pretty unlikely, to say the least, that a virus would be able to infect a completely alien being. And I doubt these extremely advanced aliens are going to have somehow failed to discover antibiotics and antiseptics.

I say Intelligence over Instinct

Acording to their instinct; they want to survive and be dominent.

Acording to their Intelligence; it makes sense to be friends with other species and to not pointlessly take from them.

I remember in a show I watched, someone said 'Would aliens hurt us? I don\'t think so. If they can learn to live with themselves, they can live with other species.'

Take earth for example; the people that explore space are the good guys, because they have the recourses for it since they don\'t wage war(well sort of). I think eventually a species would evolve to seek knowledge more than to conquer. That\'s just my thought.

They can get raw resources from anywhere. Just mine a few asteroids. And slave labour? I fail to see how they could be advanced enough to travel interstellar distances easily, and not have robots. I doubt that a war is necessary for study. Breeding? :-\ I don\'t even know what to say about one.

Not just anywhere. Sure, the circumstances would have to be pretty precise all things considered, but if they were to find the Earth and could get here easily enough, (meaning the ends would justify the means) there\'s probably something worth taking. Robots would be vindictive of a certain culture/physical form. Beings like slugs would not have robots as manually versatile as humans. So really, it\'s a pretty big unknown. War is a prolonged conflict, I doubt they\'d actually meet any kind of resistance big enough to constitute the phrase war. As for breeding, it is more a genetic point, and perhaps should be fit under 'study.'

Robots would be vindictive of a certain culture/physical form. Beings like slugs would not have robots as manually versatile as humans.

In the same way that we can\'t lift a car, or handle hot metal, so we don\'t have robots that can do these things. If you look at actual robots rather than sci-fi, you won\'t see anything human-looking unless that\'s what they are specifically supposed to be.

...there\'s probably something worth taking.

Like what? What could they take from us that they couldn\'t just mine or manufacture themselves, and not have to ship to another star?

As for breeding, it is more a genetic point,
I still don\'t know what you\'re trying to imply with this. Why assume that they even have genes anyway?

I like said before, if they\'re advanced enough to travel to earth, then they most already know were here. No one has come to enslave us yet so I think that it\'s safe to assume that they won\'t.

Well I guess it comes to, 'can they materialize matter from base atoms?' Which is a pretty big jump. Was FTL travel easier for them to discover than matter synthesization? Well, that\'s unanswerable.

This is a good point. I always assumed that FTL travel would be easy to make and that we\'d have it in another 200 years. But when you think about it, it must be very dificult.

I like said before, if they\'re advanced enough to travel to earth, then they most already know were here. No one has come to enslave us yet so I think that it\'s safe to assume that they won\'t.

This is a good point. I always assumed that FTL travel would be easy to make and that we\'d have it in another 200 years. But when you think about it, it must be very dificult.

Yeah. If they can create what they need, they won\'t be violent. If they can\'t they will be.

Primal survival or Utopian good will? Your guess is as good as mine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.