Debris/flag touring!

astropapi1

Want it or not, must of us have some debris spread around the Kerbol system. But, have you ever stopped to look back at the past of your space program through these? Alternatively, if you're all OCD about space debris, you can go back and look at the flags you have planted.

HOW TO PLAY

1. Go to the Tracking Station.

2. Hide everything but debris and flags.

3. Click on the first thing on the list.

4. Admire the view.

5. Rinse and repeat.

You can take some pictures and tell us a little about it if you want. Here's some of my stuff:

This was my first 0.22 Mun lander, left in orbit after rendevouz with the CSM. I left it in orbit as a reminder that small is always better.

IrlAVgi.png

Apollo 2 LM ascent stage. Didn't have enough fuel for deorbiting.

U20bFct.png

Four launch clamps orbiting Kerbin. For some reason, they only count as one craft.

BF2ukaX.png

Apollo 1 payload shroud.

m7N3HWt.png

"Evil Bad Target Debris". I was testing some fighters on a high Kerbin orbit. This thing ended up crashing into the Mun.

pTe1Kcm.png

Empty fuel tank after a successful return from orbit. I made it for a reusable space program.

y4AjTXp.png

This is what that first lander looked on the ground. I took some parts from the lander and improvised a simple accelerometer transmiter for... reasons.

zSQf6cq.png

That S-IVB ended up orbiting Kerbol, despite being on a free return trajectory. I Blame it on a timewarp error.

eht2NMU.png

Mun orbiter. It's dead because the engineers at AIES Aerospace forgot how to make rotating solar panels.

8qnOUcu.png

My first career Mun landing. Mechjeb overuse is dangerous to your kerbals. Yes, that's Jeb, if you hadn't noticed already. :P

r2cYt2z.png

The landing truss of that rover is still in it's place. The rover crashed about 5 km away from it.

OmTl85T.png

What kind of stuff do you have spread around your Kerbol system?

• 2 weeks later...

I try to design my boosters to reenter and not leave tons of debris around.

I recently landed in a Mun canyon and drove to the first flag I planted on the Mun in career. Having that goal of driving to a destination made the otherwise tedious job of surface roving much more interesting.

Next landing is a Duna Lander / Rover near my first lander probe. Then onto Ike!

Buzzed

I don't have very many flag pics but I found a few interesting ones.

This is a very old rover on Duna sent to investigate the face.

screenshot4.png?w=AACutDiEVO5mxDb3cmDsk-8vQGSKKe94JnRGOPzXOCXXiw

This is…I think Bob…on vallhenge. (he was later picked up)

screenshot122.png?w=AADrakPrLm4UVTkTO6xwqY5iD35vSmcLLA2jilwydWlMsQ

screenshot123.png?w=AABn_uWSSRLToRmZSEe1scy7zItV_l4hajv9cgLP8eRWuw

One of the 3 on the north pole of Ike. (he later flew in search of the magic boulder)

screenshot182.png?w=AAARKtx7iyac0lZNuzK3HeKW9NA195D4s-GnOe3zbgx3CQ

This ship, designed to look like the Discovery One, eventually got stuck in high orbit over Kerbin when it ran out of fuel, and I left it there as a memorial to bring more fuel.

screenshot20.png?w=AABR2TnR5wNnS9PkGHtnn0pXAIHI-7e69rw3-mFynNF3aA

And I'll throw this in because its cool. Version 0.16 launch, the first screenshot I have (I'm not sure where my game versions before 0.16 went)

screenshot0.png?w=AACTDNR8ep6S_BmPIfXzy9x814kNMFNxbWGKy9S1bHme1A

EDIT:Whoops, looks like all my images epic failed, I'll fix that when I get home

Edited by Xaiier

I landed a probe on Minmus as part of my mission logs, and the transfer stage crashed as planned during the probe's powered descent. Probe landed fine. I always carefully design my missions to avoid debris whenever possible, but the engine of the transfer stage survived the low-g impact and is still sitting on Minmus a few hundred meters from where the probe touched down. Later, during my first manned mission to Minmus, a pair of Kerbals visited the site:

15.jpg

18.jpg

Edited by Cashen

I landed a probe on Minmus as part of my mission logs, and the transfer stage crashed as planned during the probe's powered descent. Probe landed fine. I always carefully design my missions to avoid debris whenever possible, but the engine of the transfer stage survived the low-g impact and is still sitting on Minmus a few hundred meters from where the probe touched down. Later, during my first manned mission to Minmus, a pair of Kerbals visited the site:

It would be good if Kerbals could somehow recycle debris on an EVA. Perhaps they could mine it to get money and reputation.

I too have very little debris, I intentionally leave it on collision courses with planets/moons, however I have 1 piece on a Kerbol orbit. Somehow the game lied to me and told me it would hit the Mun - instead it was ejected from the Kerbin system. I'm hoping it eventually hits Kerbin.

I do have plenty of flags though, I use them to mark biomes. I'm not going to post screenshots of them, since they are nothing special and a lot.

• 1 month later...

Dead Satellite in Eve Orbit, still in its fairings. Ran out of battery power before I could eject fairings and open the panels.

screenshot31_zps09e3d5d4.png

I have a ton of things floating around in orbit, and on the surfaces of many celestial bodies. I'll snap some pics in a little bit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.