Another question from the noob of KSP!

Hey again, I have a quick question, more like a quick answer. I have build a plane that will fly me to the Arctic poles of the Kerbin, so here is the question, I am having a problem landing on the arctic surface, and I need some ideas on how to land, even if they are crazy. Whenever I land my plane freaks out and crashes, and it is a 30 min flight on 4x speed. Plz help lol trial and error is not working so well for me :) thanks! PS. When I land i did make sure that the setting 1x was on but I will post pictures of my plane on here, I am about mid-campaign with beginner planes! Thanks!

Edited by MrZayas1

Make sure you go back to x1 speed before trying to land.

Find somewhere nice and flat, and come in slow and steady.

Hit the brakes as soon as you land.

Alternatively, mount a parachute on the plane, and just pop it where you want to stop.

Practice your wilderness landings in the surrounding terrain: it's the same procedure, and a much shorter flight.

Alternatively, mount a parachute on the plane, and just pop it where you want to stop.

The last time I tried this the chute ripped the back half of my plane off... Until I modded it.

What exactly is happening when you land? If it is an issue with your gear not being strong enough you could use the steel beams to make a landing skid and land on those instead.

After a long trip, your center of mass may be significantly different than when you took off. Generally the front of the plane will become lighter since the fuel will draw from the forward tanks first and can cause it to nose up uncontrollably. Consider ctrl-clicking your tanks to transfer remaining fuel from the back to the front of the plane before landing to bring it's balance back (and consider changes to your design to draw from tanks evenly or to arrange the center of mass when dry to be closer to the center of mass when full).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.