Centaur00-42: Revolutionizing landers

Well this gave me an idea, but decided to

I have a plan to mess with some C7 Mk2 parts to make them look like (and transform them completely into) cargo holds. :D

Yuck, I don\'t like that dropship design too much. Im making a version of this lander that drops off a rover (me) on the moon.

Guest Flixxbeatz

Yuck, I don\'t like that dropship design too much. Im making a version of this lander that drops off a rover (me) on the moon.

The ship was not the actual one - I\'ve just built it for demonstration purposes. :)

Can it still fly without the weight in the center?

The difference is almost unnoticeable, whether or not it has the cargo attached. The thing weighs a lot, as I\'m sure you know. The nodes are 1 unit a piece, and there are eight of them. In fact, I changed the front legs to fuel tanks to balance the back end. It is balanced within a few tenths of a unit if you don\'t count the RCS ports, (which I didn\'t when I calculated.)

The ship was not the actual one - I\'ve just built it for demonstration purposes.

I like the pod; it reminds me of Halo weapons drop pods.

Guest Flixxbeatz

I like the pod; it reminds me of Halo weapons drop pods.

If only I can attach the cone parachute on the other end and make it land horizontally. Thanks anyway 8)

I\'d like to try make a drop ship like that but don\'t know how to use the C7 RCS. Also, the node just doesn\'t work.

I figured out how to get around some of these things. just isolate the node on the docking node piece away from any other part that you can place it on. That includes the sides of other fuel tanks and such. Then, use you camera to align the node of the piece you have clicked (the ghosted one) and overlap it with the node on the node part. It should magically flip. After that you can easily attach the horizontal fuel tank/part etc.

Guest Flixxbeatz

I know, but I prefer the other way around ;P

And the combined drag of four Mk32s were just enough to slow the crate down to a point that nothing will explode :)

Your design inspired me to construct my own VTOL cargo ship.

I present to you, the Quad-Bike:

Its performance is exceptional, it is perfect for crossing uneven terrain, and landing on it too. Just to prove this, I landed on an island that no plane could ever stop on. Then I was able to return back to the launchpad after dropping my cargo.

Looking at squeal\'s work, suuddenly I\'m thinking \'one step closer to building the Hunter-Gratzner on KSP.

I posted my attempt on your thread. I got it to fly, but it is disastrous. That ship was never meant to be atmospherically sound.

Definitely Kerbal.

I posted my attempt on your thread. I got it to fly, but it is disastrous. That ship was never meant to be atmospherically sound.

Definitely Kerbal.

Mm, yes. These designs are definately not too suitable to atmospheric flight! :D

It was originally (and still) intended for Munar use. The good part about this is that RCS fuel will last even longer. Five minutes of hovering on Kerbin probably equals twenty on the Mun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.