HSTW 1.75m Gemini

Tosh

[table][tr][td]attachment.php?attachmentid=17841&d=0 [/td][td] [/td][td]

H&S Tinkering Workshop proudly presents

1.75m Gemini Spacecraft

version 1.0

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm glad to tell you that development of HSTW Gemini spacecraft has finally completed. Our most skilled tinkers have thoroughly re-created 1960's USA Project Gemini spacecraft as close to original as they could. However, as the space technology has highly advanced during last half of the century, we've been able to pack quite a set of equipment into the hull making HSTW Gemini a fully operational spacecraft capable of most orbital maneuvers. It's even able to land on the Mun (no lander legs needed!) -- and to get back home safely!

An add-on contains:

• A parachute slightly stronger than a standard one which ensures a safe landing even in the mountains area,
  • Command pod itself,
  • A special decoupler,
  • An ASAS module,
  • Small liquid fuel tank with enough fuel to land on the Mun, take-off and get back home,
  • Small and sturdy liquid fuel engine (survives a Mun landing at 3-4 m/s vertical speed),
  • And an optional compact 1.75m decoupler to attach NovaPunch or Saturn V 1.75-meter parts to a spacecraft.

As the parts are intended to be used together with no mixing with other parts sets, they all (except the pod) are installed into 'Utility & Scientific' VAB section.

Download 1.8 Mb (must be logged in!)

Warning!

• As it's a high-definition pack it may take up to several minutes to load it for the first time. Next loads will go smoothly.
    Sometimes the game completely fails to load a pack. If KSP does not start after 10 minutes of waiting go to KSP/Parts directory, locate each folder prefixed with 'gem...' ('gemPod', 'gemParachute' etc..) and delete /mesh subfolders within them. Then launch the game again.
  • The spacecraft itself is rather light (only 5 tonnes fully assembled), so it may appear quite tricky to steer. Make sure to switch to 'precision controls' mode (<Caps Lock> key) after detaching the lower stages.
  • There's no toilet on-board! Make sure to take enough diapers when packing up for a long flight.

And as always, any feedback will be highly appreciated :)

64px-Cc-by_new.svg.png64px-Cc-nd.svg.png[/td][/tr][/table]

Edited by Tosh

The accuracy on this is superb, great job. :)

Engines... :o

Eh, which ones do you mean? RCS nozzles just painted on the texture -- or a main engine in the bottom? ::)

Well done on this! I can\'t wait to do some Lunar Gemini.

Any chance of the Agenda GATV?

Seems like Agenda can be done of NovaPunch parts. It looks quite similar :)

Holy mother of god....

Its so....beautifull :\'(

As an afectionado of kerbalised rockets , and having had several attempts to recreate this craft , I salute you. Do you plan to recreate any others?

Sorry, no others in the nearest future. I\'ve unmanned glider pending :)

It would have been nice to have RCS, but you don\'t see me complaining.

Yes, RCS-only craft would be more close to an original. But I\'m just not familiar with RCS (and especially with RCS landers) so in the beginning I\'ve decided to use the LFE instead. Maybe someone can rewrite CFGs to turn LFE into multi-directional RCS thruster and tune it? I\'d remodel the parts and release RCS-enabled version with that CFG (of course with acknowledgement to CFG writer).

Gemini-Titan One orbited the Mun and returned the Kerbals safely

PS- could you add a top attach node to the parachute?

Why not landed? :) The craft has enough fuel to return home on its own.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6024.0;attach=10568;image

As for top attachment, you may easily do it yourself. Go to /Parts/gemParachute folder, open part.cfg file with Notepad and change a couple of lines. Add

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.42, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

to node definitions section and change attachRules to

attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0

I\'ll include these lines into the next release.

Yes, RCS-only craft would be more close to an original. But I\'m just not familiar with RCS (and especially with RCS landers) so in the beginning I\'ve decided to use the LFE instead. Maybe someone can rewrite CFGs to turn LFE into multi-directional RCS thruster and tune it? I\'d remodel the parts and release RCS-enabled version with that CFG (of course with acknowledgement to CFG writer).

Why not landed? :) The craft has enough fuel to return home on its own.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6024.0;attach=10568;image

As for top attachment, you may easily do it yourself. Go to /Parts/gemParachute folder, open part.cfg file with Notepad and change a couple of lines. Add

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.42, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

to node definitions section and change attachRules to

attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0

I\'ll include these lines into the next release.

I didn\'t know how much fuel was in the tank. I\'ll give it a shot now that I have a test run under my belt. Thanks for the attach node info, sometimes when I try to add that myself I can\'t figure out the y dimension.

Gemini-Titan Two successfully landed on the Mun and safely returned the three brave crewkerbs. Some winglets were added as improvised landing gear (fuel tank modified to allow surfattach). Throttle control was temporarily lost on the Mun liftoff resulting in a K-orbital Ap of 32M before executing reentry.