[KSP 1.3] InfiniteDice ICE -Engines, Transmissions, for Atmospheric Vehicles

InfiniteDice

It's not ICE I was trying to upload... but the update for Skillful. I don't pop things on dropbox for a few reasons, namely there is 0 benefit to using it. At least with Curse you get points... though, it's not much!

Here is a snap of the new wheel I'm working on... could be used for racing or battle-wagons... a la Mad Max. ;)

szip3r.jpg

Still a WIP...

Some good news, added in some basic collision handling... that is if you choose to use ICE and Skillful together, tires can pop... or when the wheel breaks completely you're left with just a crappy looking rim where the tire used to be. There are of course handling differences with a flat tire, or one that is completely missing :)

My Skillful update needs to go out first, having issues uploading to Curse ATM. After that I have one more model to make and swap out.

This ICE update will include the beta of the vehicle components.. there will be some bugs here and there, mostly visual stuff, so expect some laughs! But I can say for a fact that you can do some amazing things with these wheels that you can't do with stock ones. Or any other modded ones for that matter.

I'd love to say the next thing will be a race track... just not sure yet. I need to drum up some support for some car parts, racing wheels/tires, and perhaps a track that can tabulate times and stuff - like my old baha offroad track, but much larger.

We'll just have to see!

I'm sure you won't have to look far for support of this amazing mod! :)

It's not ICE I was trying to upload... but the update for Skillful. I don't pop things on dropbox for a few reasons, namely there is 0 benefit to using it. At least with Curse you get points... though, it's not much!

Here is a snap of the new wheel I'm working on... could be used for racing or battle-wagons... a la Mad Max. ;)

http://i62.tinypic.com/szip3r.jpg

Still a WIP...

Great looking wheel, but one thing that annoys me about ALL wheels in this game. Everyone except TTs pizza wheels, mounts their wheels WRONG.

I have never seen a car, or any automobile in 20+ years of working with, on, or racing them, mount a wheel with a single bar strut that is 90deg up and down.

While I do agree with your sentiments, being an auto enthusiast and shadetree mechanic of literally my whole life I share your experience, but at the same time this is a game about kerbals. And there is one place you can find that sort of setup:

Small lawn vehicles. Tractors, mostly, but some off-road 5HP or so kid's gokarts will use it as well. While true they lack suspension, they are just a post with a bend at the end to attach the wheel on.

Oooh, nice, wheels. Please tell me they slide, though, I haven't touched the stock rover wheels for three game versions now because the F-wheel and Z-wheel are just simply better.
F-wheel and Z-wheel? are those in a mod? :)

Yeah. The uhh..The RollKage pack contains one and the other can be found if you search for Kerchelin. No plugin necessary either, which is nice.

Alright thanks! I've heard of both of them before but now I'll check them out. :D

UPDATE: I love the Rollkage mod! finally some drifty wheels :D It's at least something to hold me over until ICE gets updated.

Edited by roblamb98

Yeah. The uhh..The RollKage pack contains one and the other can be found if you search for Kerchelin. No plugin necessary either, which is nice.

If they are not using a plugin it's likely just a well balanced set of wheelcollider valuies.

ICE's wheel slip values are totally dynamic, I'm not saying they are perfect! They still need grip where here, and need less grip there. ;) If anything I have so many things going on it's difficult to make it all sing in a choir together. Flat tires also have an effect on how the wheel behaves - as it should.

If they are not using a plugin it's likely just a well balanced set of wheelcollider valuies.

No likely about it, the guy that made them outright said as much. It does mean that, so long as Squad doesn't change how rover wheels work internally, they do not need to be updated when a new version of KSP is released, which is another reason why I love them so.

ICE's wheel slip values are totally dynamic, I'm not saying they are perfect! They still need grip where here, and need less grip there. ;) If anything I have so many things going on it's difficult to make it all sing in a choir together. Flat tires also have an effect on how the wheel behaves - as it should.

Ahh, so yours do have give them. Most excellent. Infinigrip has always been a bugbear of mine with KSP rovers. Stock wheels, Tosh's cart plugin, most of it. You can't have a fun, fast car without putting the wheels on really out there spidery legs, which ruins the fun of building a sports car to me. Good to know that ICE's will have some give in them as well, though likely through a plugin ala TT's Multiwheels.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like it, but it seems more prudent for Infinite to hold off until 0.24, considering that is closing in too.

Not saying I don't want this, because I do very much (also, please add some big juicy truck wheels at some point, as we've only seen the skinny off-road wheels and the more race-oriented ones) but it seems counter-intuitive to release this and then have to update them in a week or two (hopefully).

Seems like it, but it seems more prudent for Infinite to hold off until 0.24, considering that is closing in too.

Not saying I don't want this, because I do very much (also, please add some big juicy truck wheels at some point, as we've only seen the skinny off-road wheels and the more race-oriented ones) but it seems counter-intuitive to release this and then have to update them in a week or two (hopefully).

If he releases it earlier, we can have more time to find bugs before .24 comes out so that the .24 update could have more bugfixes.

A minor curiosity of mine is whether tires have wear and tear, like the ICE engines do. If there is wear and tear, does sliding around / spinning one's tires to do make smoke and sound (yes, I know it's a burnout, but I'm sure the Kerbals would have another word for it) / hard braking affect wear and tear?

A minor curiosity of mine is whether tires have wear and tear, like the ICE engines do. If there is wear and tear, does sliding around / spinning one's tires to do make smoke and sound (yes, I know it's a burnout, but I'm sure the Kerbals would have another word for it) / hard braking affect wear and tear?

I don't know if sliding damages the tires, but with skillful you can get flat tires and even have the wheel destroyed to the point where there is no tire on it, and skillful will be adding impact damage probably soon after the ICE update.

I don't know if sliding damages the tires, but with skillful you can get flat tires and even have the wheel destroyed to the point where there is no tire on it, and skillful will be adding impact damage probably soon after the ICE update.

Lots of ground hammering can cause the wheels to go flat, or get wheel bearing damage. Eventually they will be wrecked and the tires will be gone from them - All of this is only when being used with Skillful of course as that is what keeps track of damage. Flat/damaged wheels have different handling of course.

Lots of ground hammering can cause the wheels to go flat, or get wheel bearing damage. Eventually they will be wrecked and the tires will be gone from them - All of this is only when being used with Skillful of course as that is what keeps track of damage. Flat/damaged wheels have different handling of course.

Ok then. It's nice to know with skillful the wheels will have proper damage caused. I am anxiously awaiting the ICE Update!

Nice to know that ICE and Skillful will work together to make cars/rovers so much more useful. No more instant flip from too much grip, no more instant death from a going just a little too fast and having the wheel shred itself and go from being somewhat round to as good as dragging parts on the ground, no more instant permanent tire damage. And by the look on your video, you're not using the horrible rover wheel code that Squad hasn't fixed, so you don't have the high-speed-oscillation-suspension bug that causes the equivalent of uncontrolled infiniglide on rovers. Needless to say, I'm rather excited.

According to a comment on the latest video, release should be either today or tomorrow! All that remains is getting it packaged and a zip file and some more testing. At least that is what Dice said in the comment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.