[KSP 1.3] InfiniteDice ICE -Engines, Transmissions, for Atmospheric Vehicles

InfiniteDice

• 1 month later...
I also encountered the problem mamlewis mentioned about not getting thrust. even switched the prop pitch setting to see if that would wake it up without any luck.

Now updated for 0.90 - See first post in thread, let me know if any issues persist.

• 3 months later...

all in all great mod (i'm not going to start comparing this to firespitter... that's how happy i am with this mod :) )

i would like to suggest you put the version in brackets in the thread title though... you know... just for simplicity

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I've been messing around a bit and noticed just how powerful the DB 605K is. I made a flying wing design after seeing one and the What did you do in KSP today thread, that combined with the fact I was having stability issues with conventional designs. I made a simple design and put the Bentley on it, and it flew pretty well. Decided to put the DB 605K on it (or KB 605K as I prefer calling it) and discovered just how powerful it truly is. at the minimum power to start the engine I was able to take off and hold around 127 m/s at low altitude. At full power I got up to around 280. I didn't test high altitude though. I have noticed an issue with the aircraft engine though. It seems impossibly to keep them from overheating. I didn't test the Bentley exactly though did notice constant overheating at power, and putting the 605K at the first big notch on the throttle thing on the navball heats up the oil to overheating pint, even with the 2 liquid radiators I put on at max flow rate. I did notice the radiators appeared to be closed. I cannot find anything on this in the user guide too.

EDIT1: Adding 2 more radiators fixed the issue with the 605K.

Edited by mike9606

• 2 months later...

I think this mod needs some attention, first off a Bf-109 engine shouldn't take a normal plane supersonic. Second, i threw three bently's on my Cant Z.1007 replica and flew it, abused the daylights out of the engines, full throttle, not coolers, power dives that take the aircraft to nearly the sound barrier, and all for 10min+ and the engines haven't missed a beat. I nearly ripped the wings off trying to destroy the engines.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='TUKE']I think this mod needs some attention, first off a Bf-109 engine shouldn't take a normal plane supersonic. Second, i threw three bently's on my Cant Z.1007 replica and flew it, abused the daylights out of the engines, full throttle, not coolers, power dives that take the aircraft to nearly the sound barrier, and all for 10min+ and the engines haven't missed a beat. I nearly ripped the wings off trying to destroy the engines.[/QUOTE]

Hi guys, I just updated the files, with the change to KSP's aero model the engine were putting out too much power. the default performance output has been adjusted so it should be alright... after updating you'll need to destroy engines already on aircraft then install new ones :)

The engines used to die too fast in the past, I made some changes to allow them to keep going, though there is still a chance they could fail at any time, the failure rate increases when 1) the engine is over-revved 2) the condition of the oil is really bad.... If the oil condition value is dropping this is only a matter of time. Once the oil is gone expect some kind of failure to happen almost immediately.

Let me know if there is anything strange, I did an hours testing on it but I can fix things if they are not working as expected.

[quote name='infinitedice']hi guys, i just updated the files, with the change to ksp's aero model the engine were putting out too much power. The default performance output has been adjusted so it should be alright... After updating you'll need to destroy engines already on aircraft then install new ones :)

the engines used to die too fast in the past, i made some changes to allow them to keep going, though there is still a chance they could fail at any time, the failure rate increases when 1) the engine is over-revved 2) the condition of the oil is really bad.... If the oil condition value is dropping this is only a matter of time. Once the oil is gone expect some kind of failure to happen almost immediately.

Let me know if there is anything strange, i did an hours testing on it but i can fix things if they are not working as expected.

he's alive :0.0:

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, PineApplePotatoe said:

I used this mod a while back but then i lost ksp so i came back and got this mod but when i slapped it into my game data folder it just froze, Any advice or help?

Its the games fault, idk what happened but now i can't play :(

3 minutes ago, PineApplePotatoe said:

Its the games fault, idk what happened but now i can't play :(

Now it works a guess \-|0-0|-/

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2017 at 10:03 AM, InfiniteDice said:

I'm updating the aircraft engines portion, not sure about the wheels - I'll see if I can get the engines to power the stock wheels.

Seems a lot of the code has changed for wheels. I managed to get power from the engines to wheels, I'll just need to tidy things up and might have it ready for later tonight or tomorrow.

Okay the update for 1.3 is out, I removed my custom wheels for now as the code changes to how wheels were used changed massively since my last release. Now if you want to use ICE vehicle engines you need to convert a stock or other modded wheel to use ICE. Simply add the module below to the cfg of the wheel:

MODULE
{
    name = IDWheelMotor
}

After placing any wheel that has this module in the hangar simply disable the wheel 'motor' and enable the ICE 'driven wheel' this will allow the wheel to get power from the ICE engine/transmission combination.

Key Reminders:

1) If the ICE engine stalls increase the throttle a bit while starting, it also will have an increased chance to stall until it's properly warmed up. If it keeps stalling when you throttle up it's likely fuel starved, run a SEPARATE fuel line to the engine from your fuel source.

2) ICE engines do not need oxidizer, on all fuel tanks remove the oxy supply to save mass.

3) There are 3 ways to throttle an ICE engine - yes 3. 1) use shift as you normally would, 2) use 'w' throttle - an option when right clicking the engine. 3) use gui throttle - also an option when right clicking the engine. When 'w' throttle is enabled the gui throttle slider acts like a rev limiter... 0.9 = 90% max throttle.

If you have any issues with it let me know, I did limited testing on this so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few.

Because of the complexity for new users I may make a video on how to best set this up. Stay tuned. :)

As always thanks for using this and have fun!

Dice.

Nice to see this being updated again. Always liked the alternative for rover wheels. Just a quick FYI, your link to the Curse page is broken.

Here is a working link for those who were wondering.

https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/id-ice-engines-transmissions-wheels-for-ksp-1-3?gameCategorySlug=ksp-mods&projectID=223934

Or you could just search ICE on the ksp curse.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.