[CONCEPT]Resources

BoZo

I have been playing around a bit with the Kethane mod to see if you could make some semi-realistic resource system with it.

This adds two resources to be mined on the Mün; ice, which can be melted to water and processed into liquid oxygen and hydrogen. Ilmenite rich Münar regolith, through an ilmenite reduction process you can retrieve oxygen, metal and various other resources from the soil.

As I do not have the know-how to make my own plugins I have piggybacked on other peoples hard work, this mod requires the following mods to be installed to even function:

- Kethane http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/23979-Kethane-Pack-0-8-1-Performance-fixes-tech-tree-integration-and-new-APIs

- Modular Fuel Systems (realfuels) http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52780-Modular-Fuel-System-Continued

- Modulemanager (included)

It is highly recommended to install these mods too as they share functionality:

- Interstellar http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43839-0-22-KSP-Interstellar-(LFTR-Mining-MW-Thermal-Fusion)-Version-0-8-2-(Beta)

- TAC Life Support http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/40667-0-22-WIP-TAC-Life-Support-0-6-8Dec

All parts but one (structural) are in utilities. I know they look like **** but this is just a test mod anyway. This will change the functionality of several Kethane parts, Kethane will no longer be mine-able too so only use this on a fresh KSP install to test it.

To keep the parts down you will have to use MFS to add resources and empty tanks to be filled.

There is currently two resources dead ends, Helium3 and Titanium which have no functionality. Although if you use Missioncontroller you can send tanks filled with those resources back to Kerbin and recycle the tanks to earn money.

The resource tab does get very clogged though, I hope the part descriptions give you some idea how to use the mod...

TWkiekD.png

Download: http://www./download/s1etugx1118w6zi/RESOURCES.zip

Installation: Just install all the mods.

License: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)creative commons license. See <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode>

Edited by BoZo

Gee, i hope we asked Majiir about this.

He can be a bit protective.

Well, there's nothing from the Kethane mod actually included in it. It wont work unless you install that first.

Right, right.

The way you've worded your post suggests you've simply edited the mods.

Besides that, do we have a license then?

Edited by Kerboa

Gee, i hope we asked Majiir about this.

He can be a bit protective.

Kethane has a license which describes how it can be used. This mod does not appear to violate that license, so no permission is necessary. It wasn't protectiveness that made me write the Kethane API.

Doesn't KSPI support fusion reactors? He3 would probably be used in there. As for titanium, other than rocket construction, I see no use.

KSPI does have fusion reactors. Currently in 0.8, the fusion reactors run on deuterium and tritium. However, in 0.9, which is expected later this week, will include helium-3 as a fusion reactor fuel source.

KSPI does have fusion reactors. Currently in 0.8, the fusion reactors run on deuterium and tritium. However, in 0.9, which is expected later this week, will include helium-3 as a fusion reactor fuel source.

Oh that's good, I was wondering why I couldn't find any reference to He3 in the Interstellar mod.

Oh that's good, I was wondering why I couldn't find any reference to He3 in the Interstellar mod.

If you check out the last few pages (around pg 450), Fractal just posted up some additional info on the He3 fuel mode. The resource flow is basically lob up a fission reactor with a supply of lithium attached. Breed tritium in the reactor, converting the lithium to tritium. Tritium will have a half-life of 12 years. If you attach a He3 tank to the vessel with a tritium tank on it, you'll eventually end up with some He3 over time as the tritium decays.

You can take this setup to the semi-extreme and build a large station with several large fission reactors and a large supply of lithium, tritium, and He3 canisters. If you do this soon enough in a KSP Interstellar career game, by the time you unlock fusion reactors, you'll have a large supply of tritium, and a steadily increasing supply of He3 (just to be clear He3 is available in the next patch of KSPI coming in a few days; not currently available in 0.8).

Edited by Eadrom

Couple questions! I see that you have a separate ice resource from water. Is there a reason for keeping track of this? Could you combine some consumption of electrical charge with your ice collection process to simulate your harvester melting the ice as it collects it? This would help cut down a little bit on the number of resources.

Could hydrogen (gas?) and liquidfuel (liquid hydrogen?) be combined for similar reasons? Could titanium and metal also be folded into one resource?

What is the heat resource from your mod? I'm familiar with WasteHeat from KSPI, but haven't seen regular "heat" before.

I hope you don't take my questions as mean or picking at your mod. I'm asking with honest curiosity and want to know the how and why of your reasoning behind some parts of your mod. I enjoy resource mods and am happy to see one come out, especially one that makes use of Majiir's Kethane API.

I applaud your efforts to extend resources for more purposes, but, perhaps that's a bit too much resource types? :D The list is a bit overwhelming ...

Probably what we need is a way to define intermediate resources that can flow from source container to converter/refiner A to converter/refiner B to sink container without storage in between (and flow limited by whichever item in the chain has the lowest flow rate, of course), at least from glancing at this mod (I haven't installed and tried it yet) I'm guessing several of the resources are really intermediate stages (i.e. you mine the ileminte, then heat it, and convert it to various other metals ... ) - would be nice if you could have a heater and a converter and not store the heated resource in the middle ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.