Rockets and Rovers.

I have a rocket, a bit large, but I like it a lot. I've also built a rover I'd love to send to Mun using my favorite rocket/lander combo. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to combine the 2. I've tried saving the rocket as a subassembly, but when i load it in when I have the rover first, I cannot attach the rover to the rocket. Also, I cannot save the rover as a subassembly.

The rocket was originally manned, but I want to send a rover using an unmanned module, drop off the rover and keep this other lander there so I can bring my 3 guys back...

Its almost looking like I will have to rebuild the rover while I have the rocket loaded. Is there another way of doing this?

Edit: Tried editing the topic to be more descriptive. :confused:

What I understand from your description is a "feature" of the structure of how ships are built. If you build your rover starting with a command module then attach stuff on both ends of the starting component (command module in this example) the root node got no attachement points available and thus can't be a subassembly. Any subassembly needs to have at least one attachment point available on the root node. By root node I mean the first part you put out, the one you select to move the contrapment around in the VAB/SPH.

Though the other way around, that you can't attach the rocket (that you have successfully stored as a subassembly) sounds odd. Could be that you can't attach the root node of the rocket to anything but an attachment point and got no such available on the rover. Few parts you can radially attach, if the root is of that type we've got a serious problem.

If this little rand doesn't help you, could you elaborate what it is you're doing with maybe a picture of the two parts?

Without screen shots of the attempt to attach the rocket I cannot say definitively, but if you have a rover that does not have an open node you won't be able to attach it, your best bet at this point would be to put a radial attachment point on your rover, then attach your rocket (Assuming enough clearance between the two, and don't forget the decoupler)

Let's see your rocket and let's see your rover.

Really, your option is to pick a different part of the rover as the root bit - this will be the part that attaches to your rocket. Take off as much as you can from the current core bit, pick the smallest assembly of what's left and rebuild it using the topmost piece as the new root, then reattach what's left. For example:

4WXONu0.png

My Hellhound 7 rover. The original root bit was an OKTO2 core located under a structural plate, which was under that Modular Girder Adapter you see up top. That was a natural place to make an attachment point when I wanted to start sending it off to other worlds. To do that, I took the rest of the rover off the bottom of the probe core, ditched the probe core to select a new root part, and started rebuilding the top of the rover starting with the Girder Adapter. That went Adapter - Structural Plate - OKTO2 - the rest of the rover. That's all it took to make it to where I could attach it to anything I wanted to:

NPlwPn9.png

Hopefully your root part isn't buried too deeply.

I don't know if this is answering your question very well, but if nothing works then you can always launch them separately and dock them. It add a whole lot more fun, and if you wanted your rover and manned module in a different location, they are both able to land separately.

I love subassemblies, and I like rovers. There is a trick in KSP to get them to work together easily.

When you first start building anything you will see that you can choose only certain parts. I like to start when building something that is going to be subassembly saved with the docking port. I then build backwards from there. This way I can pick up that part dump it into a cargo bay of what ever I need it to go in and launch it.

Here is my RV-100 mining rover...

Xo5k5M3.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone. After reading the replies here, I've decided to rebuild it entirely.

My next approach is to build a lander/CM/crane type thing with the rover stowed below it. Possibly the start of a future station on the moon. I just need to build some prototypes to test with.

Anyway, here are the screenshots of the rover & rocket. The rover will be rebuilt, and the rocket will be tweaked a bit.

Craft: Rocket "MunLander"

Mass: 810t

Parts: 367

ÃŽâ€v: 7758 (according to engineer)

munlander.jpg

Craft: "Cart"

Mass: 2.65t

Parts: 48

ÃŽâ€v: 592 (according to engineer)

cart.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.