[WEB] Craft Kitchen - .craft Gallery and Toolset - Now w/ Craft Extractor!

Ezriilc

The Craft Kitchen is a web-based .craft file gallery and set of tools that can recover, repair and modify craft files.

Now with the Craft Extractor tool that can copy in-flight ships from a .sfs file into .craft files.

Thanks for any input!

http://www.kerbaltek.com/craftkitchen

Edited by Ezriilc
Updated with new information.

• 3 months later...

I've reorganized/renamed our pages to better integrate the gallery.

I hope to soon add interactive thumbnails (like Howin Tsui's "webVAB"), and further integrate the upload tool for easy sharing.

I've just added a Public Upload Tool to the Gallery, so everyone can share their favorite ships. No registration or login required, and you can link directly to your ships from anywhere.

EDIT: Direct access was broken, but is now fixed!

More to come soon...

Edited by Ezriilc

• 3 months later...

I don't get a lot of feedback on the Craft Kitchen, so I'm still the only one here, but I do see a lot of activity that increases every week, so I don't feel bad about bumping this thread. I've been updating and improving Craft Kitchen little by little, and it's now a great place to show off and fix your ships.

Interestingly, visitors are fixing their ships more than sharing them, and that's just fine. I'm glad that some have been able to correct corrupted ships, and I hope those fixes are working well. If not, I hope they will contact me for help.

With the addition of the Ribbon Generator site to the Kerbaltek line-up, I've seen some renewed interest, and I'm currently building an improved framework to handle the influx of registered users, and all the great content we have to offer them.

• 4 months later...

i just got the kerbaltek crafts last night looking good so far. just got home from work so still seeing whats what. i've got almost 400 hours and i've only been to the mun. designing crafts is hard gonna use your stuff and actually do some flying finally.

i just got the kerbaltek crafts last night looking good so far. just got home from work so still seeing whats what. i've got almost 400 hours and i've only been to the mun. designing crafts is hard gonna use your stuff and actually do some flying finally.

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! I've been working on the new site for some time and now it's ready!

It should be much faster and more reliable, and registered users are now recognized across the entire site (not just the Ribbon Generator), opening the door for lots of cool features. As always, please try it out and report any trouble - thanks!

I hope to add new features to the Craft Kitchen eventually, like giving users the ability to include pictures, video or whatever.

Edited by Ezriilc

• 2 weeks later...
I may seem like an idiot here, but how exactly am I supposed to use the .craft file fixer? I choose my craft file, click repair, and then...what? Was I supposed to have something downloaded? It didn't seem to do anything.
It's not you. I need to make that more intuitive.

After you click Repair, scroll back down to the bottom to see the results, along with a link to your file (if changes were made).

Craft%20Fixer%20results.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm proud to announce the release of our new Craft Extractor tool. It copies your ships from a .sfs file into .craft files, and wraps them up in a .zip archive.

Thanks to a KSP player who requested this and inspired me to finally build it. I hope that anyone who needs this will find it.

It's still in development and might not behave as expected, but please try it and report any issues you find either here in this thread or via our Contact page. Thanks in advance!

www.Kerbaltek.com/craftkitchen

I'm proud to announce the release of our new Craft Extractor tool. It copies your ships from a .sfs file into .craft files, and wraps them up in a .zip archive.

Thanks to a KSP player who requested this and inspired me to finally build it. I hope that anyone who needs this will find it.

It's still in development and might not behave as expected, but please try it and report any issues you find either here in this thread or via our Contact page. Thanks in advance!

www.Kerbaltek.com/craftkitchen

1. Me.

2. I should upload the "persistent.sfs" file?

got error "Parse ERROR: attached part's index not found."

1. Me.

2. I should upload the "persistent.sfs" file?

got error "Parse ERROR: attached part's index not found."

You're doing it right, it was just broken. I think I've fixed that error. However...

I've already gotten some more bug reports, so as I suspected, this tool still needs a lot of work.

Some ships are not loading in the KSP editor at all, and others are either not assembled correctly, and/or cannot be affected by the player.

If anyone learns anything new, please let me know. In the meantime I'm chasing bugs.

EDIT: Most problems are fixed now.

Edited by Ezriilc

Update:

I've added code for parts in symmetry, and corrected some problems with part positioning.

Compound parts, like fuel lines and struts, are not attaching properly, so that's next. EDIT: Fixed!

Oddly enough, I've stopped adding the defaults from the part database, and the game seems to fill that in automatically. Bonus! EDIT: I had to keep the existing part data, but I suspect some will need to be changed to defaults. More testing is needed.

Edited by Ezriilc

I've thrown every ship I have at it, and they all come out "perfect", meaning that I see nothing out of place or malfunctioning.

EDIT: Check that. I just tested another ship that turned out intact, but I can't take or move parts.

I'm pretty sure there will be other things to tweak, but as it stands now, this tool is good to go! EDIT: Still pretty much - most ships seem fine.

Edited by Ezriilc

• 2 weeks later...

Ezriilc, I'm grateful that you have made this tool. Claw's version hasn't been updated since 0.90. I'll be happy to help out as best I can.

Should your Extractor work with mod parts? Tested it out just now with a satellite from my RP0 career game, but it didn't quite work. The file seems to be intact, but the craft in SPH is invisible. There is a shadow on the floor, cost on the counter, the engineer's report has part count and mass. But I can't see any parts.

Ezriilc, I'm grateful that you have made this tool. Claw's version hasn't been updated since 0.90. I'll be happy to help out as best I can.

Should your Extractor work with mod parts? Tested it out just now with a satellite from my RP0 career game, but it didn't quite work. The file seems to be intact, but the craft in SPH is invisible. There is a shadow on the floor, cost on the counter, the engineer's report has part count and mass. But I can't see any parts.

Thanks, Zephram. Your appreciation means a lot to me, and help is always welcome.

Theoretically, there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Of course, make sure the game in which you're trying to edit the extracted ship has the mods already installed.

At one point, the Craft Extractor was taking some part data from the game database -which thereby excluded mod parts- but now it doesn't. It only looks at the parts in the ship, and attempts to put them back together as they were.

At the time of my last testing, the only ships it seemed to have a problem with were multiple ships that were assembled(docked) in flight - I think because they have more than one root part. Even then the entire structure seemed intact, but the player could not interact with any parts in the editor.

Since I don't use mod parts, I haven't done much testing with them. However, if you want to send me your .sfs file, I'd be happy to take a look and see if there's something obvious to tweak. Even if there isn't much demand for such a tool, we may as well make it the best it can be. :wink:

...make sure the game in which you're trying to edit the extracted ship has the mods already installed.

Good point! But yes, I tried to edit the craft in the same save from which it was extracted.

At the time of my last testing, the only ships it seemed to have a problem with were multiple ships that were assembled(docked) in flight - I think because they have more than one root part. Even then the entire structure seemed intact, but the player could not interact with any parts in the editor.

Seems like a similar symptom... but this is just a simple satellite, and then there's the invisibility thing.

Since I don't use mod parts, I haven't done much testing with them. However, if you want to send me your .sfs file, I'd be happy to take a look and see if there's something obvious to tweak.

Here is my RP0 save, "Get Real": https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78157466/Short%20Term/Zeph%27s_persistent.sfs (2MB)

Even if there isn't much demand for such a tool, we may as well make it the best it can be. :wink:
I'm intrigued by this lack of demand. This tool is the kind of thing that most folks wouldn't think of... until that inevitable mistake of launching a ship without saving it first. So, I would expect anyone who has made that mistake would take an interest. Clearly, the difference is because you and I are the only two people on the planet who make mistakes. ;)

edit: in reply to your PM. Yes indeed, that is Cochrane. :) It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Edited by Zephram Kerman

This tool is the kind of thing that most folks wouldn't think of... until that inevitable mistake of launching a ship without saving it first. So, I would expect anyone who has made that mistake would take an interest.

Actually, I expect most folks would just grab that "Auto-Saved Ship.craft" and move on. But if one is heavy into building and didn't take that step when possible, then yes this tool has its use.

... folks wouldn't think of... until that inevitable mistake of launching a ship without saving it first. So, I would expect anyone who has made that mistake would take an interest. Clearly, the difference is because you and I are the only two people on the planet who make mistakes. ;) ...

Hey, you're excluding me from being the first person to request that this tool get made!

Hey, you're excluding me from being the first person to request that this tool get made!

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to do that.

Maxxim is indeed the first person who requested this tool from me. They have encouraged me from the start, and even helped with testing.

CHEERS, Maxxim! Hip-hip... huzaa! :D

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, Zephram, I did get your save file, and I plan to mess with it some today to see if I can figure the problem. Sorry for the delays.

Zephram,

I've been doing some analysis of your ships in the save file and I can't see anything obvious without loading them in-game - which would require the same mods.

Which mods are you using? What makes those parts special?

Are they all or mostly made of mod parts?

Which ships were invisible and/or not working?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.