The Grand 0.23 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Hello everyone and welcome to 0.23!

This releases focusses on the feedback received from the science system as well as upgrading to the latest version of the Unity engine and general bugfixing. A full feature and fixes list is included below.

Updating

I bought the game through the KSP store on kerbalspaceprogram.com, how do I update to 0.23?

• (Recommended) Open your KSP install directory and use the patcher to update (patcher.exe)
  • Alternatively, go to your profile page in the store to download the game in full

I bought the game on Steam, how do I update?

Steam will automatically update the game for you, unless you have disabled it. You can try to force the update by restarting Steam.

Common problems

Mods often lose compatability between versions. If you're experiencing troubles then make sure that the only folder in \Your_Install_Path_For_KSP\GameData is called 'Squad'. Delete all the others then try again. Mods are usually updated in the hours or days following a release, so keep an eye open for any updated versions.

New features

The Science Archives

Browse through all the science you've done in your Career games in this new section of the R&D Facility.

Tweakables

Several parts can now be tweaked individually by right-clicking them during construction. For example:

• Landing Gear can be set to start out deployed or retracted, and can also be made steerable.
  • Engines can have a thrust limiter set on them, so you can balance out asymmetrical thruster configurations (or use differential thrust for taxiing).
  • Wheels can be tweaked to have their engines toggled, steering locked, all before launch (and after, of course).
  • Control Surfaces can be tweaked to toggle response to pitch, roll and yaw input individually.

Science Revisited

Transmitting scientific data no longer allows you to max out the value of a subject just by repeating the transmission multiple time, removing the experiment data from some experiment modules (for transmission or by EVA) will render them inoperable; resetting an experiment can still be done freely as long as the data is not removed from the module.

Solar System

0.23 Adds a new Biome Map for Minmus and cleans up the Biome Maps for Kerbin and Mun to remove areas where Biomes would be detected incorrectly.

The Lab Module

A new part called a Laboratory Module, which allows experiment data and samples to be processed before transmission to increase their science value, is now available. The Lab Module requires 2 crews inside to operate and a whole lot of power as well. A new button was added to the experiment review dialog to process collected data on the Lab if one is available (and operational) on your vessel.

EVA Data Transport

Kerbals on EVA can now collect the data from experiment modules and store them on crew-carrying modules and they can also collect data from other data container modules, including other Kerbals. Additionally, Kerbals can also store samples collected from other experiments on the Lab.

Part Tooltips Overhaul

The tooltips that pop up when mousing over a part on the editors have been completely redesigned to show essential info only at first, but can be expanded to show more info with RMB. Once expanded, you can right-click again to collapse, or to pin other tooltips if you hover over other parts. The part information has been re-organized to group stats for each module and resource container on a part and a larger icon for the part on the tooltip itself was added, featuring a scale to give an idea of size before picking.

All-around Optimizations

We've gone over all our code to make sure it runs as efficiently as possible and upgraded our game engine (Unity) to version 4.2.2 to make full use of its own bugfixes and tweaks. Texture loading has been sped up, loading times are noticeably reduced.

(Windows-Only) 6-DOF Device Support

6-DOF input devices such as the Space Navigator are now supported both as camera and flight controllers, Scroll Lock will toggle the device mode in flight. Due to driver limitations this is a Windows-only feature for now. We're ready to implement support in OSX and Linux as soon as those drivers become available.

Bug Fixes and Tweaks

Parts

We redid the logic for all-vessel resource flow (such as Electric Charge and MonoPropellant) and we fixed those resource containers not being able to drain fully or store an amount larger than their current available space.

Docking

The issue that caused docking ports to resume their states incorrectly after docking, making it impossible to undock afterwards was resolved and a big issue with docking operations through physicsless parts in the hierarchy between the port and the original vessel root was fixed.

EVAs

EVAs now use EVAPropellant for their jetpacks, which is a proper resource now. We fixed an issue with collision resolution that caused EVAs to sometimes fall over and become uncontrollable. Kerbals other than you will now pick themselves up from ragdoll state if they are involved in any 'accidents' or are flat out being used as Kerbowling pins. Parts that land onto splashed-down parts are now considered to be landed. This allows EVAs to walk on floating platforms.

Other Fixes

• The Return key will no longer reset the staging sequence in the Editors, or return you to the Main Menu at KSC.
  • The Main Menu now remembers the 'page' you were at when you left it, so if you return from a loaded game, you'll find it still at the "Start Game" screen.
  • Fixed several issues with joystick axis mapping and indexing.
  • Updated the Input settings screen to expose a few new control options that weren't accessible before.
  • Fixed an issue that could lead to loss of GUI responsiveness after leaving flight during reentry or supersonic flight.

Media

<div style="overflow-x:scroll;"><table class="cms_table" align="center"><tr class="cms_table_tr"><td rowspan="2" class="cms_table_td" valign="top"><iframe width="496" height="372" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5z2-ODBw5FA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></td><td class="cms_table_td" valign="top"><iframe width="240" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Lu02WEvoW1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></td><td class="cms_table_td" valign="top"><iframe width="240" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YT6ap6FYyxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></td></tr><tr class="cms_table_tr"><td class="cms_table_td" valign="top"><iframe width="240" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nTkj-TMGfXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></td><td class="cms_table_td" valign="top"><iframe width="240" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EdcRtEE1NI8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></td><td rowspan="2" class="cms_table_td" valign="top"><iframe width="240" height="180" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Kq-eTpqKOIQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></td></tr><tr class="cms_table_tr"><td colspan="4" class="cms_table_td" valign="top">

Javascript is disabled. View full album
</td></tr></table></div>

Is it just me or is the Launcher not recognizing that we have a update?

Yeah the launcher doesn't seem to be giving the option to update. I'm having to download the whole thing from the website. That's running pretty smoothly at least, even if it is taking a while!

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have just survived the Forum Explosion of 2013. Let it be known that on this day, in anticipation for .23 the forum had such a massive overload that not even the kerbal recruits could have made a bigger explosion.

DATA logged in depository!

making sig now

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have just survived the Forum Explosion of 2013. Let it be known that on this day, in anticipation for .23 the forum had such a massive overload that not even the kerbal recruits could have made a bigger explosion.

Actually, all things considered this is running pretty smoothly! I remember when downloading 0.18 (I think it was 0.18 anyway), my download kept freezing and I'd have to start over. I don't even think I got that update the day it came out, and had to wait until the next day. So sad. :(

This time, I think I'm going to start off in sandbox mode and play with the new toys, before I try to figure them all out in career mode when I don't get them all at once. So excited to play with that RAPIER engine, now that I can finally retire my old, wildly inefficient Sky-ORC design. Old girl deserves a rest!

0.23 makes me all poetic, now that's done

Poem:

We looked up, and staring back at us is the great white disk, our planetary neighbour, our companion, ever faithful, wandering along side us through the deep inky blackness of the infinite 4 dimensional point that is our entire universe. forever, has this disk looked back, reflecting the suns life giving light on to the surface like a motherly hand protecting her child from danger, and we take it for granted, the least we can do is pay a visit.

So one night, in '69, man built a towering pile of oxidizer and explosives, propelling our men like bullets from a gun, risking their lives, just to repay that disk in the sky. For it may of sparked the first intelligent thought of mankind, setting off a chain re-action in our minds, a desire to learn, to understand, to dream. And for that. I thank you, mun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.