The Grand 0.23 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

I cant said that I dont like it, but I hope it a lot more from the tweakable system. I thought that it would be possible to change all parameters like we want.

Examples: escale and all kind of parameters like we were in the cfg file. But with a simple and easy UI.

I dint notice in my system an improve in the loading time.

But well, the fact that now we can set landing gears or other stuff (on or off) from the begining seems great.

That always struck me as very much breaking with the spirit of things. If there wasn't surface area to mount something, then it can't really get access to the air. I don't do clipping.

Access to the air hmmm. You mean the SAME air that doesn't burn me up during re-entry? :D Sorry I couldn't resist. Yes, I think for a game that allows non-destructive re-entry, creativity in "tucking in" intakes seem "valid" up to a certain extent. I mean sure, anyone can spam intakes all they want, resulting in an ugly scheme/layout/design, but sometimes those who have a flair for the aesthetic can come up with a "spammed" system that seems reasonable.

Access to the air hmmm. You mean the SAME air that doesn't burn me up during re-entry? :D Sorry I couldn't resist. Yes, I think for a game that allows non-destructive re-entry, creativity in "tucking in" intakes seem "valid" up to a certain extent..

Can't help noticing the scare quotes. Seems like you're trying to convince yourself here. Tempting, is the dark side. :-p

Something im looking forward to, once my mods are all updated and i get back into the game fully, is launching empty fuel tanks to create a fueling station (once i get kethane going). :)

Oh, and also building a space station with the science module. I can imagine, especially once i get kethane up and running, collecting science from the moon or minmus, taking the kethane back to the station, filling the fuel tanks, and then transfering the science over.

Edited by Sma

To me it seems that the textures are brighter.

That always seems to happen, i think its due to the options being at their highest quality at default.

The only bad thing about this update is that it takes waaaay to long to transmit any good data and cleaning out the experiments is quite tedious (due to the fact I have a research lab in orbit, it takes a looong time to send science, long enough for me to just recover everything. As said by someone else sending probes is a complete waste of time

Release 0.23 made scroll-wheel and page-up/down zoom extremely slow to the point of it being unusable in Linux. It makes building and controlling crafts almost impossible so it makes the game unplayable. Hope it gets fixed soon. As of today I have the latest release Ubuntu x64 and I installed KSP via Steam. Thanks.

Minor issue that *appears* to be more prevalent in 0.23 than it was in 0.22:

Jebediah may very well be a zombie!

Three separate occasions he has heroically performed SCIENCE on the ground at high velocity, each occasion I've escaped to the space centre (not reverted), checked his MIA status in the astronaut complex, shrugged and lined up Bill for the next launch. A few launches later and suddenly notice Jeb has started taking the number one seat, and a check of the astronaut complex reveals he's no longer listed under the "Lost" tab.

Minor issue that *appears* to be more prevalent in 0.23 than it was in 0.22:

Jebediah may very well be a zombie!

Three separate occasions he has heroically performed SCIENCE on the ground at high velocity, each occasion I've escaped to the space centre (not reverted), checked his MIA status in the astronaut complex, shrugged and lined up Bill for the next launch. A few launches later and suddenly notice Jeb has started taking the number one seat, and a check of the astronaut complex reveals he's no longer listed under the "Lost" tab.

It does this for all Kerbals if you don't have permadeath enabled.

The overall experience with 0.23 is very good. Only thing is that with one time experiments, sending probes is not worth at all.

There should be more science parts in future releases aimed for probes (specifically rovers), something like a chemical analysis of soil.

Yep I've noticed that - at this point in a fresh 0.22 save I'd have satellites round Kerbin, Mun, Minmus & a couple on their way to Duna & Ike; this time round I've not got any up.

Lots of tuning and development of this system obviously in the pipeline but couldn't help thinking that at the moment it's akin to only realising the scientific potential of the Hubble Telescope once you've safely returned it to Earth.

I downloaded 0.23 in full, and continued career mode. I checked the science lab, and noticed the new purchase system! I then played around with the throttle-able solid rockets for a while. I think it should be possible to get a circular-ish orbit from these now that we can set the thrust levels! I have not gotten to the R.A.P.I.E.R. engines yet but they will probably be very useful.

The bugs (on Mac): I tried to Update from the launcher, but it did not work. The "update" option then became unavailable, but the game did not seem to be updated to 0.22. I then re-downloaded the full game from the store. Did anyone else have this problem? I also had another bug where the 0.22 application appeared to be corrupted to the OS, unless launched from the launcher. I've decided to stay away from the Launcher for now.

Oke guys.. i have posted here before but forgot my passowrd.. just made a new account...

I HAVE A PROBLEM!

maybe it has been talked about before but i couldn't find it anywere, if so please direct me to where it has been adressed. Here it is:

Since the .23 version i cannot build my big rockets anymore, why? because my oxidizer gets eaten, and not in a way i expect it to happen. It seems to happen when i use the tri-coupler and then connect another rocket thingy to the side using a girder. In my case another tri-coupler with a bunch of tanks and egines on it. I had the same problem with doint this with solid boosters.

What happens is that the oxidizer seems to transfer from the tanks in one of the engine stacks mounted underneath the tri-coupler to the other engines mounted underneath the same tri-coupler. Ending in 1 engine stop working before the other 2 underneath the same tri-coupler.

Am i doing something wrong or is this a bug? it is driving me absolutely crazy!!

Your help and comment are mucho appreciated

El Bazzo

I've been playing around with 0.23 for a couple of hours now and the first thing I've noticed is that my rocket-sound lags way less then before! I haven't build any huge rockets yet, but I slammed together a ~40 part rocket and experienced no lag at all. Was this planned in the update, a serendipity, or is it just me being lucky? Does anyone else experience this as well? I've read a lot of threads about FPS increase, but none about sound.

I got kinda used to the stuttering engines, but now that it sounds continues it feels as a way better experience.

A lot of back end optimisations occurred, nothing directly related to the sound but then it's also a new version of Unity, so maybe that's why.

Hopefully as Unity improves and those changes make it into KSP, the sound issues will disappear entirely :)

Hey Galileo. I wish I would have seen your signature while I was in the office last week. It actually rained for a bit.

I wonder how many "Galileo Kerbonauts" I would have been able to find in a phone book?

Thanks for the notice :wink: Maybe I'll dress it up like a Kerbal for Christmas... they have the same shape after all :D

Hi Folks,

I purchased KSP through Steam several days ago during the 3 year anniversary event. I played through the tutorials and have enjoyed the experience thus far. I've took some time to watch some videos on tips and how-to's as well.

Yesterday, with the introduction of version .23 I started career mode. I wanted to share some observations of someone new to the game/sim. The initial challenge is opening up the tech tree.

One observation right off the bat is why am I not starting with aircraft? I see this wonderful runway, I know I can get science from different areas of Kerbin. It would seem that flying there would be more realistic than trying sub-orbital manned rocket shots to get there and experiment. Heck, at least give me wheels (landing gear) and I'll try a horizontal rocket plane.

2. Why must I perform numerous manned missions before I can do unmanned probe launches? I would expect probes launches to come first and then man missions. I'd rather risk a machine than a Kerbal for new ventures.

3. Okay, now I finally got probes, but no batteries (except for the built in 10 minutes) Why don't batteries come first?

4. So I try a sub-orbital and orbital shot with a probe. How do I do science with them? (like I can with Kerbals). I now have dead probe in orbit :) This could be entirely my lack of knowledge on probe science collection.

5. I'm only 3 levels deep into the tech tree (two out of 4 branches) and more often than not I'm starting to get very little "new" science from my flights. Not sure I'm missing a big part, but advise is welcome.

6. Basic EVA - why aren't my Kerbals tethered to the command module (think Ed White in Gemini 4). The first time I did EVA in orbit, Jebediah did a cya later, tumbled off and did his own re-entry. :) Outside of quickly pressing F to grab onto the module, am I missing something here?

I really love the game! I hope my comments/questions make sense.

Haven't had enough time to test it all out yet, but I LOVE the tweakables! I was stalling the launching of interplanetary ships because the propulsion sections were too heavy to put up in one launch. Now that they can be fueled up in orbit, they will be twice as massive! *cackles maniacally* :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.