The Grand 0.23 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

On another note, what is planned for the next update?

- Multiplayer made official? (from what they said, it is planned, but they didn't want to be pushed to that too soon, so I guess it won't be in the next)

- Mapping planets? (as stated overhead, really necessary with science and exploration)

- Improved tweakables? (it was only the tip of the iceberg, I was waiting for something ground breaking but there are very little options. They could be really numerous (change size of object, choose type of fuel in them, add modules to any object, giving adapter parts resources or instruments in order to make them useful, change color of parts, color of lights, list goes on (take exemple on mods that offer those sort of tweaks ...)

- Change root part of a ship you are building? (why don't we have this yet, as useful as sub-assembly, they would actually be perfect for each other. Extremely useful for construction process, just hire the guy who made this ^^[0.22] [Oct17] SelectRoot: Set a new root part. 0.22 & fixes.)

- Making a repair system for EVA? (so that solar panels and many other small parts may be repaired, they showed us a toolbox, so it's about time ^^)

- Training and kerbals? (the training center was added but as all kerbals are the same, they are interchangeable. Courage and stupidity values only have effects on their expressions. To have their own identity, they have to have different faces (couldn't try it out, but kerbalizer should also allow you to add your own kerbals to the game) to have personalities, and they show gain experience from flights they were on, and events, tasks they performed while on mission. This would boost courage and decrease stupidity so as to make better science reports, repairs, ...) Harv talked about possibly implementing female kerbals, but it has been spoken of a lot and is a sensible subject.

Edited by Aknar

Harv talked about possibly implementing female kerbals, but it has been spoken of a lot and is a sensible subject.

I used to be Terminantly against this Female Kerbal thing... well until i see de AAR Long-term Laythe Mission from Brotoro in the Mission Report Threads.

I've just started using .23 as I've only just found settings low enough to make it usable :-(

First of all, I should say that my machine doesn't meet the system requirements so Squad is covered. Specifically my graphics card is only an nVidia 8300 with 256Mb RAM.

That said, the .18 demo version (that I tried to see if KSP would work at all) and the proper .22 (when I found it did) work much more smoothly than .23. In this latest update, for instance, with graphics set low, eg; quarter-res, launching a simple 4-part rocket it takes 5 seconds leaning on the shift key to throttle-up to 100%! Even then the met tells me KSP is taking 3 seconds to calculate every single second. You can imagine what it's like with a more complex vehicle ^^.

Don't use science, haven't used tweakables, mostly use .22 for performance. Not a lot of reason to use .23 at all, and I'm disappointed - but buying a new graphics card soon, I hope.

Took .23 out for a spin and did a bit of career mode. Started with some reports from pad, lawn, runway, moved on to a suborbital flight with reports and various heights and goo canisters. Flew by the mun with more canisters, did another mun landing with some science jrs. Haven't actually crashed yet. Noticed the tweakables on parachutes and really like it. It is going to make duna landings so much easier. Flew to minmus; planted a flag in 2 biomes and returned.

So, I consider myself a pretty good rocket builder/pilot; career mode is a bit of a hurdle. But, I really enjoy it. Previously I remember setting science experiments to action groups and spamming them and transmitting them. Having to pack absurd numbers of batteries to power the transmission. That monotony is gone. Now I launch and return multiple missions to try to return science devices. My most recent mission (to minmus) provided enough science to unlock the gravioli detector.

I'm now looking at my science history and realizing that it will be a challenge to fully analyze all of the different biomes; but that I will likely be launching a number of suborbital missions to flesh these out. This will be so much more stimulating than just spamming transmit. The rocket has been pretty good for me; and I think making more mission specific craft will be highly beneficial. The aircraft tech tree seems harder to access. This may be intentional, but it was a bit odd.

I expect to unlock the remained of the tech tree tonight. My only complaint is the way it keeps me up far past my bedtime; I don't need to hop to another biome right now; I'll just send over another mission with even more sensors.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.