The Grand 0.23 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Won't get to play for a few hours, so digging into the new parts and SCIENCE!!! will have to wait...

But I just had to take a quick peek at a couple high part count vessels I had in orbit, and I'm absolutely thrilled with the performance increase. A vessel that ran like a slideshow on my laptop before now is at playable framerates, defnitely more than double the FPS I could manage on that machine and vessel before. Same deal with my old way way overbuilt station I had replaced because of the poor performance around it. And the performance around smaller (~100 pt) vehicles is now silky smooth.

Kudos to the devs for all the hard work. I had given up hope of seeing this game perform so well. Now I can't wait to check out the update on my Desktop once the children are in bed!

I'm currently being annoyed at steam, deleting my entire KSP folder, restoring game cache then playing

(seriously, steam's auto update feature might as well not exist, it's just wasted memory)

I used the STEAM update feature from the GAMES menu tab instead of using the launcher and had no problems.

Well get into the game today and WOW did .22 make this game feel different, adding science objectives - career mode, new parts and a tech tree what fun!! So much content in the same period it took to release the .23 update (not sure if the man hours were the same but time-frame wise). So why does .23 feel virtually unchanged? I feel like the only thing that seems new is the science archives which in all honesty come off as pretty much useless to me...Why do I care what experiments I've performed when I have all the parts? Why would I care even if I didn't, for nostalgia's sake? I know where I haven't been based on which celestial bodies have flags on them...so...why do I need this? Spent about 5 minutes in the archives before leaving them and probably will never open it again - there's literally no reason for ever opening that tab ever again. (sorry to dev who spent all that time developing that feature...I saw it once and I was very impressed, great work - but it's useless *sadface*) - a tab with last year's super bowl scores would be just as useful to me :(

Basically I just feel like I'm in 0.22 with a new hybrid engine and a science lab I don't see why I need either...sure the tweaking is nice, but it doesn't feel any different...it's a minor change and makes my ships a bit more capable...woohoo? As a hardcore fan I have been on the edge of my seat waiting for this and once I read the patch notes I was kind of nervous...get in the game this evening and my fears were confirmed :( I suppose I'll be shelving KSP until 0.24 :*( Please add something cool next patch! Maybe I'll play around with the new hybrid engine a bit...but my SSTO's are already perfect :( mmeeeeehhh am I being a negative nancy or do you guys feel let down by this patch tooooo? :((((

Edited by Kronikor

Anyone else getting this error when they try to update via the in-game update:

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [Receiver]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /home/lapo/package/rsync-3.0.9-1/src/rsync-3.0.9/io.c(605) [Receiver=3.0.9]

rsync exited with code 12: Error in rsync protocol data stream

????????????????????

Can fuel lines be used on SRBs?

The 'S' stands for "Solid", as in "solid fuel", as in "there's no way within physics that a simple pipe could pump this stuff around". If fuel lines can be used, that's one heck of an egregious bug!! (NB: Pretty sure they can't be, though.)

I have to admit it's kind of lame to have much better loading times. Or optimizations.

Oh wait, that is awesome and was needed since forever. I barely played around 20 minutes and I can feel the optimization, it's pretty damn good. Sometimes Kronikor you want behind the scenes improvements. Not just stuff you can see.

Squad wanted as stable a game as possible for the 2014 season. A lot of this patch is more behind-the-scenes and about optimization. Not every patch can be feature-packed, and .22 was going to be hard to follow up in the first place. The RAPIER and Mobile Lab are some new toys for us to play around with while waiting for some new stuff. I wasn't really let down, since it was made obvious early on that .23 wasn't going to be feature-full.

Shelving KSP until .24? How? Don't worry, leave it alone for a few days, the desire to play will come back. You seem like a veteran player; mess around with the new parts. Push them to their limits. See what they can do. Then come here and brag. We like seeing awesome stuff :P

Tweakables were a long time in coming, its a feature with HUGE potential for making better ships. The archive is great so you dont double up on experiments where youve don them before. Also the loading time, for me, was cut down drastically. Granted it wasnt as obvious change like .18 or .21 was but its still, so far, a decent update.

I guess if you maxed everythig out and you have unlocked/explored all the celestial bodies there weren't any great advances. I for one like the archives for the simple fact I am a bit OCD and want to max all science in every category. It's a good snapshot for future mission planning IMO.

I looked at .23 as a good step in the right direction.

Science Revisited

Transmitting scientific data no longer allows you to max out the value of a subject just by repeating the transmission multiple time, removing the experiment data from some experiment modules (for transmission or by EVA) will render them inoperable; resetting an experiment can still be done freely as long as the data is not removed from the module.

In other words, all of the time I spent building, testing and transporting my science labs to their respective locations (planets) is wasted. They are now all one shot vehicles. Great. AND because I am running KSP though Steam, it auto updated so I don't have the option of not breaking my work. This should have been a user settable option, not an arbitrary lock.:mad:

Well get into the game today and WOW did .22 make this game feel different, adding science objectives - career mode, new parts and a tech tree what fun!! So much content in the same period it took to release the .23 update (not sure if the man hours were the same but time-frame wise). So why does .23 feel virtually unchanged? I feel like the only thing that seems new is the science archives which in all honesty come off as pretty much useless to me...Why do I care what experiments I've performed when I have all the parts? Why would I care even if I didn't, for nostalgia's sake? I know where I haven't been based on which celestial bodies have flags on them...so...why do I need this? Spent about 5 minutes in the archives before leaving them and probably will never open it again - there's literally no reason for ever opening that tab ever again. (sorry to dev who spent all that time developing that feature...I saw it once and I was very impressed, great work - but it's useless *sadface*) - a tab with last year's super bowl scores would be just as useful to me :(

Basically I just feel like I'm in 0.22 with a new hybrid engine and a science lab I don't see why I need either...sure the tweaking is nice, but it doesn't feel any different...it's a minor change and makes my ships a bit more capable...woohoo? As a hardcore fan I have been on the edge of my seat waiting for this and once I read the patch notes I was kind of nervous...get in the game this evening and my fears were confirmed :( I suppose I'll be shelving KSP until 0.24 :*( Please add something cool next patch! Maybe I'll play around with the new hybrid engine a bit...but my SSTO's are already perfect :( mmeeeeehhh am I being a negative nancy or do you guys feel let down by this patch tooooo? :((((

I have a road bike. Every now and then, I would buy stuff like a new saddle, a new crankshaft or a new set of gear ratios for it. But I don't think it changes the way I ride considerably, and perhaps I would consider it a negative if it DID change anything significant in the way I ride it. Sure, the new purchases would enhance the bike, sometimes considerably, sometimes in more subtle ways, and I do welcome the changes. But it doesn't affect the overall enjoyment I get when riding my bike.

However, I do have friends who have bikes, who get tired of riding their bike, when they get bored by some new thing they attached to it (i.e. like say, a bicycle computer or an aerodynamic handlebar). They would only get interested riding their bike again, when they spy some new gadget in the shop that they feel would make their bike ride exciting all over again. I feel these individuals aren't really enjoying or even understand the essence of the bike--they're not enjoying the bike ride--they're enjoying the thrill of getting new stuff.

See the parallelism here?

So my advice is, try to find the essence of why you found KSP to be enjoyable, when you first got it, and once you rediscover that, an update with even just ONE feature change, will delight you.

Edited by rodion_herrera

Most of the 0.23 features was coding based. For example: Minmus biomes, science system fixes, optimizations, unity upgrade, tweekables, steerable wheels... The devs work hard and you would have to appreasete their work!

In other words, all of the time I spent building, testing and transporting my science labs to their respective locations (planets) is wasted. They are now all one shot vehicles. Great. AND because I am running KSP though Steam, it auto updated so I don't have the option of not breaking my work. This should have been a user settable option, not an arbitrary lock.:mad:

Actually, you can either force Steam to download the previous stable (0.22), which I think is nothing more than a temporary fix, or you can fly out a science module to the systems you have your craft in and provided that it has a docking port, you can use the experiments, dock with the lab, clean the experiments and reuse them. Also, the sensors (barometer, gravioli detector etc..) are not affected by this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.