Can't get crew out of science lab modules?

After some experimentation, it seems possible to get crew into the science lab module either by placing them there before launch, or by having them enter it like any other module. However, regardless of how they get into it, I can't seem to get them out. Is there a way to do it, or do science modules always have to return to Kerbin to recover their crew?

Edited by purpletarget

I don't have anything blocking the entrance. I did a simple test with just a Mk 1-2 command pod placed on top of a science lab module. I tried starting it off with two kerbals inside the science lab and couldn't get them out, so I tried having two kerbals EVA down the ladder into the science lab and couldn't get them out either.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been having the same problem, and I've finally found a workaround!

Left-clicking normally on the crew hatch does nothing, however, if I bring up the science report window (the one where you decide whether to transmit or save) and position the text part of the window over top of the crew hatch, and then left-click, the window that shows which kerbals are there pops up and I can EVA.

What a strange bug, I'm guessing it may have something to do with certain mods being installed that mess with the GUI maybe?

What a strange bug, I'm guessing it may have something to do with certain mods being installed that mess with the GUI maybe?

I don't think it's caused by mods, my installation is mod free and I too have sometimes problems clicking on crew hatches.

I'm posting here because oh my god it works with every hatch. In large contraptions I always forget who is sitting where, and thus I eva everyone on the list one by one until I get the kerbal I want.

Left click. Who left clicks?

So I've been having the same problem, and I've finally found a workaround!

Left-clicking normally on the crew hatch does nothing, however, if I bring up the science report window (the one where you decide whether to transmit or save) and position the text part of the window over top of the crew hatch, and then left-click, the window that shows which kerbals are there pops up and I can EVA.

Good find! Works for me. I'm on a Mac and even in 0.22 had problems left clicking on a crew hatch. Very (VERY) seldom worked for me. In 0.23, never worked but wasn't crucial until i got Bill & Bob stuck inside the lab in orbit. Finally managed to get a rescue mission sorted with your workaround supplying the secret sauce. Nice one.

Confirming that this is annoying as ****. I came to KSP forums explicitly for the purposes of figuring out how to extract Kerbals from the science lab. Ridiculously surprised to learn that it's as simply as left click. Clearly the UI needs to be perfected.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.