[1.12.x] Ship Manifest (Crew, Science, & Resources) - v 6.0.8.0 - 28 Apr 23

Papa_Joe

@Horman: I just noticed another mod that provides notes/checklists: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55625

Check this out and see if it meets your Checklist needs. If I offer a checklist feature, I will need to make it an alternative method to support the need and not step on the efforts of agises

Hey Papa_Joe,

yeah, I already had a look on the notepad by agises. Its nice to look up some stuff, or make up your blog about the current flight.

I imagined somekind of editable list, that you could actively check up, when preparing for some essential steps. From the look something like the Werner Checker by Magion.

It shall just be somekind of "realism" for the normal proceedures, and of course, it might not have to be used, to let you start the next step...

It just a dream :)

Hey Papa_Joe,

yeah, I already had a look on the notepad by agises. Its nice to look up some stuff, or make up your blog about the current flight.

I imagined somekind of editable list, that you could actively check up, when preparing for some essential steps. From the look something like the Werner Checker by Magion.

It shall just be somekind of "realism" for the normal proceedures, and of course, it might not have to be used, to let you start the next step...

It just a dream :)

Well then, it seems that Checklists is going to be a good fit for Ship Manifest. Realism huh... hmmm...

With that said, I'm planning a small update to correct known bugs, shrink sound files, and add the configuration for source and target part colors.

Expect it in the next couple of days.

This way, all known issues are addressed before I deep dive into Checklists. This will be a major update. :D

Edited by Papa_Joe

i use crew manifest for long, but i like the idea to have crew and resources in one tool together.

a suggestion: i personaly think there is a function missing, to transfer science data between docked pods, whitout EVA. maybe this would be a "special" for the ship manifest ;)

edit: oops, already exists: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54998

After reading that thread, and following the posts, I've decided to incorporate Science into Ship Manifest. The OP of that thread is MIA, so the feature needs some love.

I will not be forking that mod, I will simply be "doing it my way" so to speak.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. :)

After reading that thread, and following the posts, I've decided to incorporate Science into Ship Manifest. The OP of that thread is MIA, so the feature needs some love.

I will not be forking that mod, I will simply be "doing it my way" so to speak.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. :)

nice to read. you're welcome.

after testing the other plugin for a few days, there is one thing need to be handled by transfering science data: one-time-experiments. making this modules not unusable after transfer, it'll breake the gameplay for career.

Crew transfer: Yes please. If you want to differentiate yourself from crew manifest you could always impose a limit on the transfer. Like there must be a fuel crossfeed capable path between source and destination (to simulate there being a workable path between pieces), and a work timer based on physical distance.

Though limiting the path based on part connection area would be even better. Maybe joint reinforcement's method of figuring out connection areas could be used?

Science transfer: Eagerly awaiting this. I'm using the science transfer plugin already, but a more up-to-date solution that respects science module locking would be very nice.

Crew transfer: Yes please. If you want to differentiate yourself from crew manifest you could always impose a limit on the transfer. Like there must be a fuel crossfeed capable path between source and destination (to simulate there being a workable path between pieces), and a work timer based on physical distance.

Though limiting the path based on part connection area would be even better. Maybe joint reinforcement's method of figuring out connection areas could be used?

Science transfer: Eagerly awaiting this. I'm using the science transfer plugin already, but a more up-to-date solution that respects science module locking would be very nice.

Interesting you said this, as I had just completed including crew transfers. I had not added the roster feature yet, as I want to get an update out soon. Bug fixes, reduced sound files, configurable source/target highlighting, and crew transfers are in for this update.

Expect it within hours.

Interesting you said this, as I had just completed including crew transfers. I had not added the roster feature yet, as I want to get an update out soon. Bug fixes, reduced sound files, configurable source/target highlighting, and crew transfers are in for this update.

Expect it within hours.

Awesome. :)

Edited by Neowulf

Thanks for the update Papa_Joe...downloading now.

Bravo on the crew transfers!

EDIT: Ok, after a very quick spin..there might be some problems with the crew transfer part.

1-Might need a "update portrait" button because when transferring kerbals the portraits do not appear at all.

2-Crew limit is not respected. You can transfer as many kerbals as you like even if its only a one seater. In addition, all the extra kerbals that were transferred disappear.

Edited by ATG

Any news regarding disabling the ability to transfer resources who's resource definition includes "transfer = NONE"?

This can be done. I'll add that to realism mode.

Thanks for the update Papa_Joe...downloading now.

Bravo on the crew transfers!

EDIT: Ok, after a very quick spin..there might be some problems with the crew transfer part.

1-Might need a "update portrait" button because when transferring kerbals the portraits do not appear at all.

2-Crew limit is not respected. You can transfer as many kerbals as you like even if its only a one seater. In addition, all the extra kerbals that were transferred disappear.

I didn't notice any issues with crew portraits... if you can describe the problem (steps to reproduce, maybe with images), that would be helpful.

Crew limit is indeed a bug. I missed that. Get right on it. (sometimes the most obvious things... ;P )

Edit: Does this happen only when transferring from target to source? I found a cause for that...

BTW, next update will include Science, and that is nearing completion.

Will release both the fixes and science next.

Edited by Papa_Joe
possible bug cause found.

@Papa Joe, not all pods/habitats have crew portraits due to not all of them having an IVA (The new science lab from Squad is one of them)

Yup, and that would explain it, and be beyond the scope of this mod. But, I do not know the conditions of ATG's testing, so I did not want to presume. :)

I know when I transfer crew into a part with command capabilities, portraits seem to work fine (at least on my machine). :)

Yup, and that would explain it, and be beyond the scope of this mod. But, I do not know the conditions of ATG's testing, so I did not want to presume. :)

I know when I transfer crew into a part with command capabilities, portraits seem to work fine (at least on my machine). :)

Nope, that's not the problem I am having. I tested on stock pods as well as user created ones (all with the same result)....and I made sure the ones I tested had an IVA.

Tested on a clean install of KSP with only this mod and RealChute installed. In the example test below, I took the stock lander can and slapped on the Mk1-2 pod on top. I then transferred Bill from the lander can to the mk1-2 and no portrait update. I'll let the pic below speak for itself:

screenshot0_zps2798c99a.png

In the same situation with the CrewManifest mod, the portrait updates.

Nope, that's not the problem I am having. I tested on stock pods as well as user created ones (all with the same result)....and I made sure the ones I tested had an IVA.

Tested on a clean install of KSP with only this mod and RealChute installed. In the example test below, I took the stock lander can and slapped on the Mk1-2 pod on top. I then transferred Bill from the lander can to the mk1-2 and no portrait update. I'll let the pic below speak for itself:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk248/Tzser/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/screenshot0_zps2798c99a.png

So, what you are saying is that the empty seat should be showing?

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk248/Tzser/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/screenshot0_zps2798c99a.png

And this is the reason I did not want to presume :)

I will take a look into that example test. I should be able to determine the cause.

Thanks for taking the time to characterize this!

Update. Science in place, in test now. Expect an update today or tomorrow.

I noticed that the OP now states, "Realism Mode: Solid fuels cannot be moved." Has this feature already been implemented? Does it apply to other non-transferable resouces (added by mods)?

Secondly, I realize this is a somewhat silly request, but in general I prefer not to have in-game access to "cheaty" settings options (such as realism vs casual mode), as I find it to be slightly immersion-breaking if I know that I can turn off realism mode in mid-flight. Thus, I'd prefer for mode to be configured via an external config file (or to have an external config file with a lockRealismMode option). Obviously not highly important, though, so I only request this if it's easy to implement.

I noticed that the OP now states, "Realism Mode: Solid fuels cannot be moved." Has this feature already been implemented? Does it apply to other non-transferable resouces (added by mods)?

Secondly, I realize this is a somewhat silly request, but in general I prefer not to have in-game access to "cheaty" settings options (such as realism vs casual mode), as I find it to be slightly immersion-breaking if I know that I can turn off realism mode in mid-flight. Thus, I'd prefer for mode to be configured via an external config file (or to have an external config file with a lockRealismMode option). Obviously not highly important, though, so I only request this if it's easy to implement.

In fact, someone else also asked for the TransferMode=None rule to be respected. It is currently excluding solid fuels only. I have incorporated the new rule in the upcoming version I'm preparing for release. Another request has been for a flow path check for transfers as well. I'm considering that as well.

I do understand your intent on the realism mode setting. With it outside the settings window, you are less inclined to "just this once " cheat. :)

It would be possible to add a change lock to the config, and its relatively painless.

Edited by Papa_Joe

Is there a way to transfer from multiple parts at once? I know you said you don't want to replicate all the functionality of TAC Fuel Balancer, but would this be going too far in that respect? Even though Ship Manifest is meant to be a light weight mod, I feel this is somewhat crucial.

Perhaps you could add checkboxes to the parts list so that you could select more than one origin and destination part. Something tells me there is a limitation in the game regarding transferring resources from multiple parts at once, so I would at least like some confirmation on that.

Possibly another game limitation, but is it possible to add the ability to click on the part itself while the transfer resource window is open to set origin and destination parts, perhaps even via a right click menu?

One more thing, is it possible to disable view zooming while scrolling within the Ship Manifest windows?

Is there a way to transfer from multiple parts at once? I know you said you don't want to replicate all the functionality of TAC Fuel Balancer, but would this be going too far in that respect? Even though Ship Manifest is meant to be a light weight mod, I feel this is somewhat crucial.

Perhaps you could add checkboxes to the parts list so that you could select more than one origin and destination part. Something tells me there is a limitation in the game regarding transferring resources from multiple parts at once, so I would at least like some confirmation on that.

Possibly another game limitation, but is it possible to add the ability to click on the part itself while the transfer resource window is open to set origin and destination parts, perhaps even via a right click menu?

One more thing, is it possible to disable view zooming while scrolling within the Ship Manifest windows?

Thanks for the questions!

1. Multi-part transfers are certainly possible (TAC does them), but as you said, I don't want to duplicate functionality. However, if you really look at it, I've been duplicating functionality all along, even if not in the same way... :) The other thing is: what about fuel/oxidizer? I was thinking of linking them, as it is not easy to transfer the correct amounts of either and respect the "1.1 - 0.9 mix. So, Let me look into multi part transfers. No promises.

2. I've been considering that for awhile. Not sure how to implement it "intuitively" yet, but definitely on my list. Others have found that if you simply use the built in transfer you can click a source and transfer to a destination. in my case, I had parts hidden behind fairings, and it was not easy to click on them, without some fancy zooming...

3. Zooming is another issue. I've found no mod that has overcome that issue (please correct me if I'm wrong), so not sure how to correct it. Even in KSP stock, this issue appears. It may take a fancy delegate function to override the mouse wheel event when certain conditions exist...

Code update: Realism mode Lock is in place. Still working an issue with Crew move & missing portraits, and final testing on Science transfers.

Update coming soon...

Thanks for the questions!

Code update: Realism mode Lock is in place. Still working an issue with Crew move & missing portraits, and final testing on Science transfers.

Update coming soon...

Well, I've spent the better part of this weekend trying to avoid using an "Update Portraits" button. It seems that I simply have not found a way to get the portraits to update automatically. I've learned a lot about internal models and seats and such, but I've not found a hook to get the internal views to update when crossing a part boundary. So, an Update Portraits button it is. For now...

Anyway, with that said, I'm wrapping up the code and getting ready to publish an update.

Version 0.23.3.1 Released.

Science. Realism mode for this needs work still, so bear with me. That will take some smart persistence data management.

Crew Xfer Portrait fix.

Details in OP.

Edited by Papa_Joe