[1.12.x] Ship Manifest (Crew, Science, & Resources) - v 6.0.8.0 - 28 Apr 23

Papa_Joe

May still be doable, but I may possibly have to perform multiple saves...

That sounds annoying for sure, but what do you expect when trying to fix a bug in the game with a workaround? :)

I don't think - from a user's perspective - that it would be a problem. People don't rename or change careers on their guys THAT often, so a little alert (or just text in the gui) saying it'll save and reload your game a few times would be perfectly acceptable to me.

That sounds annoying for sure, but what do you expect when trying to fix a bug in the game with a workaround? :)

I don't think - from a user's perspective - that it would be a problem. People don't rename or change careers on their guys THAT often, so a little alert (or just text in the gui) saying it'll save and reload your game a few times would be perfectly acceptable to me.

Based on the info gained from badpandabear in the 2 posts just before yours, I have devised an elegant solution.

I now allow the creation of a kerbal of the desired profession, and you can rename. It will automatically append the ascii chars as needed to retain that profession. Also you can now edit an existing Kerbal, change the name and profession and it will also retain those changes... No game save restarts.

Finalizing and refactoring now. Looking very good from here... I think we have it!

Thanks so much for the assistance and the insights everyone!

Edited by Papa_Joe

Woot looking forard to it! Finally my team of kerbal will be 100% original. Cant wait

Okay, I'm packaging the release now.

Change log:

Version 0.90.0_4.1.0 - Release 18 Feb, 2015 - Solar Panels Bugs, Mod Refactoring and More Edition.

- New: Added Deployable Solar Panel Management Window. Works like Hatch panel. In realism Mode, respects Rectractable = false.

- New: Refactored Crew Transfer Display code, Hatch Panel code and data management. Relocated some methods to more logical locations.

- New: Added switch to allow renaming Kerbals. Added support for maintaining professions after rename. Adds non printing chars to name, so use at your own risk.

- New: Added autosave of settings on scene change or exiting game.

- Bug: After switching scenes and selecting a part with CLS enabled an highlighting error occurs.

- Bug: after switching scenes and using Hatch panel, an error occurs in highlighting.

- Bug: After switching vessels, the hatch panel shows the old vessel info and is not updated. Additionally, CLS highlighting causes errors.

Okay, I'm packaging the release now.

Change log:

Version 0.90.0_4.1.0 - Release 18 Feb, 2015 - Solar Panels Bugs, Mod Refactoring and More Edition.

- New: Added Deployable Solar Panel Management Window. Works like Hatch panel. In realism Mode, respects Rectractable = false.

- New: Refactored Crew Transfer Display code, Hatch Panel code and data management. Relocated some methods to more logical locations.

- New: Added switch to allow renaming Kerbals. Added support for maintaining professions after rename. Adds non printing chars to name, so use at your own risk.

- New: Added autosave of settings on scene change or exiting game.

- Bug: After switching scenes and selecting a part with CLS enabled an highlighting error occurs.

- Bug: after switching scenes and using Hatch panel, an error occurs in highlighting.

- Bug: After switching vessels, the hatch panel shows the old vessel info and is not updated. Additionally, CLS highlighting causes errors.

A big thanks to 5thHorseman and badpandabear for suggestions and insights that allowed me to get Kerbal renaming to happen!

New Release is now available. Enjoy! As always, please report any issues!

Note: Kerbal Renaming and Profession management are turned off in Settings by default. Go to Settings, Configuration section to turn on. The tool tips there will help to explain it, as well as the tool tips in the Roster Window when renaming is enabled.

Edited by Papa_Joe

with 0.90.0_4.1.0 i am getting tons of these when the active vessel is a probe (aka no crew capacity)

Error: in GetCLSVessel. Error: Argument is out of range.

Parameter name: index

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[ConnectedLivingSpace.ICLSSpace].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ShipManifest.SMAddon.GetCLSVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

with 0.90.0_4.1.0 i am getting tons of these when the active vessel is a probe (aka no crew capacity)

Error: in GetCLSVessel. Error: Argument is out of range.

Parameter name: index

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[ConnectedLivingSpace.ICLSSpace].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ShipManifest.SMAddon.GetCLSVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Thanks. Turn off "Enable Debug window on error" in Settings and the error will not keep showing up. Do you have CLS installed? If so, you can turn off CLS in settngs as well, and that should make the error go away for the moment. I believe I hadn't considered probes... but I have used it with undocked sections of ships using MechJeb and no crew spaces...

Can you share a craft file? Finally, did you have crew selected in SM? I'm thinking the choice should not even be there if there are no crew...

Edited by Papa_Joe

Tried to reproduce with simpler craft... no success so far. Looks like it only happens on some probes. The only thing they seem to have in common is that they were originally launched from Extraplanetary Launchpads. Which is weird, because the problem seems to persist even after reloading the game, and it doesn't happen when launching the same assembly from KSC. Which is totally weird, i'd thought that (at least after safe-reload) the probes should be identical. Maybe EP does something really funny to the part ordering...

Tried to reproduce with simpler craft... no success so far. Looks like it only happens on some probes. The only thing they seem to have in common is that they were originally launched from Extraplanetary Launchpads. Which is weird, because the problem seems to persist even after reloading the game, and it doesn't happen when launching the same assembly from KSC. Which is totally weird, i'd thought that (at least after safe-reload) the probes should be identical. Maybe EP does something really funny to the part ordering...

Thanks for the feedback. if you can get to a state where you can reproduce, let me know and I'll research it. Otherwise, it sounds like when you run "those" probes, just turn off CLS in settings and you should be ok. No value to it under those conditions anyway :) (no living spaces )

I get the same error anytime I have an "ahem" rapid unplanned disassembly, usually due to some sort of lithobraking. It seems that if any part gets destroyed, regardless of whether it is a crewed part or has CLS, I get tons of these error messages.

EDIT: Well, not any part. I'm not sure what the pattern is. I'll try to get a good log for posting.

Edited by Wercho

Hah! one way to reproduce: put a landercan on the launchpad, go on eva and plant a flag.

I think it happens whenever an uncrewed vessel (debris, flag, probe) is spawned through explosions/planting/ELaunch, from a previously crewed vessel.

Hah! one way to reproduce: put a landercan on the launchpad, go on eva and plant a flag.

I think it happens whenever an uncrewed vessel (debris, flag, probe) is spawned through explosions/planting/ELaunch, from a previously crewed vessel.

Thanks. That gives me a starting point. Do you have CLS installed? If so, is it enabled?

One of the activities under the hood of SM is to improve the management of "conditional" activities. in my original design, this had "evolved ad hoc", and was not consistent.

I've been refactoring the code to use standardized conditional checks. This may be a case where I missed a condition...

Edit: Excellent example. I was able to reproduce with CLS enabled and installed. when CLS is disabled, no error.

I'll get on that.

Update. Found it. I had left in some "troubleshooting code" when I was resolving the Scene change issue where the CLS vessel info was remaining stale..

I'll push out a patch.

Edited by Papa_Joe

New release to correct bug reported above:

Version 0.90.0_4.1.0a (Minor Bug fix)

- Bug: under certain conditions, GetCLSVessel generates a Space out of range error. Troubleshooting code was left in by mistake.

Sorry for the inconvenience! :)

Darn, found another issue...

It's always the last change you make.... :D

In the Roster Window, when editing an existing kerbal with Rename and Rename with Professions on in Settings, You cannot change the profession. You SHOULD be able to.

You get no error, it just does not let you change the profession. I have corrected it and will post an update soon.

Sorry for the update fatigue, but This is important enough that It warrants an update. 0.90.0_4.1.0b coming out soon.

Edited by Papa_Joe

Darn, found another issue...

It's always the last change you make.... :D

In the Roster Window, when editing an existing kerbal with Rename and Rename with Professions on in Settings, You cannot change the profession. You SHOULD be able to.

You get no error, it just does not let you change the profession. I have corrected it and will post an update soon.

Sorry for the update fatigue, but This is important enough that It warrants an update. 0.90.0_4.1.0b coming out soon.

Okay, New version.

Version 0.90.0_4.1.0b - Release 19 Feb, 2015 - Solar Panels, Kerbal Renaming, Bugs, Mod Refactoring and More Edition.

- Bug: In the Roster Window, when editing an existing kerbal with Rename and Rename with Professions on in Settings, You cannot change the profession. You SHOULD be able to.

Now you really can change an existing kerbal's name and profession.

Also a thought. I'm thinking it makes sense to make the roster and settings available in the Space Center and in the editor. Currently, they are only available in flight.

This would mean adding an icon or 2 to the toolbar(s). I think it would make it more convenient...

Feedback?

Edited by Papa_Joe

Okay, New version.

Version 0.90.0_4.1.0b - Release 19 Feb, 2015 - Solar Panels, Kerbal Renaming, Bugs, Mod Refactoring and More Edition.

- Bug: In the Roster Window, when editing an existing kerbal with Rename and Rename with Professions on in Settings, You cannot change the profession. You SHOULD be able to.

Now you really can change an existing kerbal's name and profession.

Also a thought. I'm thinking it makes sense to make the roster and settings available in the Space Center and in the editor. Currently, they are only available in flight.

This would mean adding an icon or 2 to the toolbar(s). I think it would make it more convenient...

Feedback?

Were this available in the space center or astronaut complex, I'd never use it in flight.

In other words, please yes please and thank you :D

I was just thinking about that very thing today. Debating whether to post about it, and look here you already have considered it and are going to improve the UI. I would love to have control outside of flight so I can create kerbals for a mission without having to jump into a flight.

When you click on "Create Kerbal" button-thingy - does it randomly assign the attributes on the sliders, or is it always the same value?

The only reason I'd maybe use this in realism mode is when I need more kerbals to show up in the recruitment list. Maybe in realism mode:

- You are stuck with what you get in terms of attributes

- You have to pay 10k in funds to get a new kerbal

I was just thinking about that very thing today. Debating whether to post about it, and look here you already have considered it and are going to improve the UI. I would love to have control outside of flight so I can create kerbals for a mission without having to jump into a flight.

:D With Kerbal renaming and profession management now possible it just sort of jumped out at me...

In work.

When you click on "Create Kerbal" button-thingy - does it randomly assign the attributes on the sliders, or is it always the same value?

The only reason I'd maybe use this in realism mode is when I need more kerbals to show up in the recruitment list. Maybe in realism mode:

- You are stuck with what you get in terms of attributes

- You have to pay 10k in funds to get a new kerbal

Very good questions and I'd not thought about that angle.

To answer the first. It creates random values, based on the KerbalGenerator results.

To the second statement, Realism currently affects:

1. The ability to remove a kerbal from a ship in flight.

2. The ability to add a kerbal to a ship in flight.

Constant behaviors.

3. You cannot edit a kerbal assigned to a vessel in any case... Realism or not.

4. In preflight, you can add and remove kerbals from the ship on the pad. Realism or not.

I could add the kerbal attributes and the profession to the limitations of Realism Mode. Meaning, you can create one, you can choose the profession and change the name, but you get what you get with courage, etc.

Once created, editing an existing Kerbal would limit you to the name only. No profession changes once created. (I would think that kerbals can change their own names after all, like us)

Now, funds, I've not looked into. I play sandbox a lot. Let me take a look at that.

Thoughts?

Edited by Papa_Joe

I don't see why getting a Kerbal with the name and profession you want should cost anything, considering getting one from the Astronaut Complex is also free.

The rest sounds fine, though because I don't want to muck about with all that jazz in Extraplanetary Launchpads I edit every single Kerbal I have so their stupidity is 0.

I don't see why getting a Kerbal with the name and profession you want should cost anything, considering getting one from the Astronaut Complex is also free.

I think the realism mode being mostly all-or-nothing is a bit un-funny.

Although I could imagine kerbonauts always costing a bit, based on their stats or even experience - so later in game you could hire level three pilots for a higher sum than the always cheap level zero recruits.

The rest sounds fine, though because I don't want to muck about with all that jazz in Extraplanetary Launchpads I edit every single Kerbal I have so their stupidity is 0.

I think the realism mode being mostly all-or-nothing is a bit un-funny.

Although I could imagine kerbonauts always costing a bit, based on their stats or even experience - so later in game you could hire level three pilots for a higher sum than the always cheap level zero recruits.

And there is the rub. The "Realism purists", really want to restrict what you can do to avoid "cheating". I even have a realism lock that can only be cleared by editing the Config.xml so as to remove the temptation for those with "weak will" :D.

"Realism" is relative to the player and has a different meaning to each.

So, to me, it makes sense to simply restrict it when Realism Mode is active. Since you can easily change the realism setting (even while you are in the Roster window), you can simply change the Realism setting if you choose to have "more freedom".

I often do this when I'm experimenting with a new vessel and tweaking it for the needed resources to "make the trip", or I overuse mono propellent, etc. I'm not a purist, and I don't to the math calculations for the ship design, and while I like the realism settings, I'm certainly no slave to them. I'll alter the realism settings when I feel like it to "git R done".

For me, KSP is more a game than a simulation. However, I do respect and want to satisfy those that really want KSP to be more of a simulation than a game.

Since cost is also something that may need to be "balanced", I'll add a configuration for the cost of a kerbal, so it can be "managed".

Now this leads to a bigger question... based on KerbMav's last statement: "so later in game you could hire level three pilots for a higher sum than the always cheap level zero recruits", does it now make sense to split this off and create a separate mod called Kerbal HR and keep what is in SM "simple"?

In a separate mod I could create management tools for Roster, experience, skill level, Professions , etc,. Expand it so you can manage all facets of a Kerbal Career... Career level hiring, increase the cost for "experienced" kerbals, etc. Iirc, the current model is that all applicants come with 0 experience...

This would also satisfy your desire to create a completly custom cadre of kerbals. You could rebuild your kerbals from an old save where you have documented their experience and want to bring them up to date with today...

Thoughts?

In Career mode, the Astronaut Complex list fills up slowly over time, especially if you don't accept pilots that you do not want. The fund cost in realism-mode would be to speed up that process, i.e. "I need a kerbal right now!" fee or a "finder's fee".

Gives the option of waiting for the AC to re-populate (which might take a few in-game weeks) vs being able to fill a need right now, in exchange for a small amount of funds.