[1.12.x] Ship Manifest (Crew, Science, & Resources) - v 6.0.8.0 - 28 Apr 23

Papa_Joe

Now this leads to a bigger question... based on KerbMav's last statement: "so later in game you could hire level three pilots for a higher sum than the always cheap level zero recruits", does it now make sense to split this off and create a separate mod called Kerbal HR and keep what is in SM "simple"?

In a separate mod I could create management tools for Roster, experience, skill level, Professions , etc,. Expand it so you can manage all facets of a Kerbal Career... Career level hiring, increase the cost for "experienced" kerbals, etc. Iirc, the current model is that all applicants come with 0 experience...

This would also satisfy your desire to create a completly custom cadre of kerbals. You could rebuild your kerbals from an old save where you have documented their experience and want to bring them up to date with today...

Thoughts?

I can certainly understand the need to reduce "requirements creep". But if you do make a new mod it should be "KR", as "human" resources doesn't make sense.:D

More seriously, I was thinking it should cost experience points if a kerbal is retrained to another profession. Since all of their experience in one profession might not apply to another (but some would). Or perhaps it should take some time to retrain a kerbal. I briefly looked at changing the kerbal's experience level in code but it was reset every time a mission was recovered. I think the game recalculates it based on the kerbal's flight log.

I can certainly understand the need to reduce "requirements creep". But if you do make a new mod it should be "KR", as "human" resources doesn't make sense.:D

More seriously, I was thinking it should cost experience points if a kerbal is retrained to another profession. Since all of their experience in one profession might not apply to another (but some would). Or perhaps it should take some time to retrain a kerbal. I briefly looked at changing the kerbal's experience level in code but it was reset every time a mission was recovered. I think the game recalculates it based on the kerbal's flight log.

Yup. KR makes sense :D Ship Manifest allows a number of Gameplay enhancements but they have really been centered around flight. Since Crew Manifest (the basis for Ship Manifest) came with the roster feature, I kept it in, but I really do think with the additions of careers to KSP, it makes sense to explore this using a fresh view. There certainly looks to be a need :) and I think it would open a whole new game mechanic for the player base...

And yes the experience would be based on the flight log. I noted that when changing the professions that the flight log entries still existed in my save... not sure if they are reset to 0 count, but that is something I can control as it is persisted in the save... we can "make up a history" if you will, to provide the necessary experience. So you could "hire" someone that say has Duna landing experience if that is your need. Also with a separate mod you could see/modify each Kerbal's flight log, etc... Depending on if you care about Realism or just want to create your own Experienced Kerbals...

Edited by Papa_Joe

New Release:

Version 0.90.0_4.1.1 - Release 23 Feb, 2015 - Settings & Roster exposed Edition.

- New: Expose the Roster window via toolbars in KSC. Now you can get to the Kerbalnaut Roster from the Space Center!

- New: Expose Settings window in KSC via toolbars. Now you can get to SM Settings from the Space Center!

- New: Refactored Window management with Toolbars. Streamlined code and addressed some behavioral issues (2 clicks to close a window after switching toolbars from blizzy to stock, etc.)

- Bug: When opening or closing a hatch (CLS installed), sometimes the hatch color change would not properly update when ship is currently highlighted.

Enjoy the new release. SM is getting very stable now, and I'm liking the result. Starting to get some "polish", just in time for KSP 1.0. :D

One question though:

I have added toolbar buttons for the Roster and Settings in the KSC scene, but left the buttons in their original locations on the Manifest window in Flight. Should I add the buttons to the Toolbar in Flight as well, and remove them from the Manifest Window? I hesitated, because it "could" add clutter to the toolbar. But, it would "save a click" for those that only want to get to them when in flight...

As far as the discussion on Kerbal Crew features and the Roster window, I'm still looking at the Roster expansion features.

I still haven't decided whether to keep them in SM or make a separate Mod.

Ideas are as follows:

1. Expand Roster window to show more info. Add career details to individual kerbal edit window.

2. Add Recruitment window: Enter desired traits, and mod will generate a "few" candidates with previous experience

3. Add a hiring Fee, that is configurable, and allows the hiring of experienced crew members.

4. Provide a global Kerbal management window (god mode), that allows you the completely customize your cadre of kerbals (for those that want "total" control).

5. Provide realism restrictions, that can be configured to tailor the tool for both the Realism folks and the sandbox players.

6. Provide an updated interface, to bring it "in line" with the current look of KSP Astronaut Complex.

Your thoughts are welcome

Update:

Okay I did it again... I left in my current window positions in the config.xml file. I use a screen res of 1920x1080, so it may cause some windows to display outside your screen res. :(

To prevent this in the future, I've added some boundary checking code to move the windows back to their default positions if they are not completely visible on the screen with your resolution. I'll include that with the next release, so that even if I forget, it won't "mess you all up"...

Edited by Papa_Joe

Hi, Papa_Joe!

First, thanks for all your effort on this great plugin! Second, I've clicked on both buttons on stock toolbar but nothing happens. I also couldn't find it on Blizzy's toolbar.

Is this intended behavior? What am I doing wrong?

--- UPDATE ---

Well, I've managed to READ your post (sorry!) and delete the config.xml.

Nevertheless, I've had many exceptions and could not open settings window do disable showing them. Again, what am I doing wrong?

Edited by jlcarneiro

Hi, Papa_Joe!

First, thanks for all your effort on this great plugin! Second, I've clicked on both buttons on stock toolbar but nothing happens. I also couldn't find it on Blizzy's toolbar.

Is this intended behavior? What am I doing wrong?

--- UPDATE ---

Well, I've managed to READ your post (sorry!) and delete the config.xml.

Nevertheless, I've had many exceptions and could not open settings window do disable showing them. Again, what am I doing wrong?

Sorry for your difficulties. As far as the windows not showing, that would have depended on your resolution. I'm running 1920x1080, so if yours is smaller then the windows could have been off the screen.

Deleting the config file will cause exceptions. That is next to correct on my list for bullet proofing the plugin. To correct, just copy the config back from the download, and then replace the following xml:

<rect name="ManifestPosition">
<xmin>0</xmin>
<xmax>0</xmax>
<ymin>0</ymin>
<ymax>0</ymax>
</rect>
<rect name="TransferPosition">
<xmin>0</xmin>
<xmax>0</xmax>
<ymin>0</ymin>
<ymax>0</ymax>
</rect>
<rect name="RosterPosition">
<xmin>0</xmin>
<xmax>0</xmax>
<ymin>0</ymin>
<ymax>0</ymax>
</rect>
<rect name="SettingsPosition">
<xmin>0</xmin>
<xmax>0</xmax>
<ymin>0</ymin>
<ymax>0</ymax>
</rect>
<rect name="HatchPosition">
<xmin>0</xmin>
<xmax>0</xmax>
<ymin>0</ymin>
<ymax>0</ymax>
</rect>
<rect name="PanelPosition">
<xmin>0</xmin>
<xmax>0</xmax>
<ymin>0</ymin>
<ymax>0</ymax>
</rect>
<rect name="DebuggerPosition">
<xmin>0</xmin>
<xmax>0</xmax>
<ymin>0</ymin>
<ymax>0</ymax>
</rect>

This will return the windows to their default positions in the upper left of the screen.

By default, SM uses the stock toolbar. to activate Blizzy toolbar use, you must check "Enable Blizzy Toolbar" from the Settings window under Configuraiton.

To make the buttons appear on Blizzy's toolbar, you will need to add them to the toolbar per Blizzy's instructions for adding plugins to his toolbar, and making the toolbar appear in the Space center. I have a link to Blizzy's thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60863

Iirc, you need to click on the Down arrow at the right, and click on "Configure Visible Buttons". Add ShipManifest Roster and ShipManifest Settings.

If Blizzy's Toolbar is not visible in the Space center at all, you can look in the Toolbar-settings.dat file in the GameData folder directly as follows:

SPACECENTER
{
toolbar_783826005
{
x = 300
y = 0
width = 250
height = 38
autoHide = False
drawBorder = True
useKSPSkin = False
buttonOrder =
visibleButtons = ShipManifest.Settings,ShipManifest.Roster
}
}

The window number will be different than the one above (toolbar_783826005), so you will need to be aware of what that number is for your toolbar, as you will need it in the next step. the line to edit is the "visibleButtons = ShipManifest.Settings,ShipManifest.Roster"

Yours will not have the ShipManifest entries. Add them.

Finally, locate the toolbar number in the Main Menu section of the file where the same number you located above is and make the same changes as described. Ex:

toolbar_783826005
{
x = 300
y = 0
width = 250
height = 38
autoHide = False
drawBorder = True
useKSPSkin = False
buttonOrder =
visibleButtons = ShipManifest.Settings,ShipManifest.Roster
}

Let me know if you still have issues. It has been working perfectly for me since implementation.

I will look into programmatically adding the buttons to the Blizzy toolbar and making it appear. Not sure if it is possible but I think it is.

Edited by Papa_Joe

As far as the discussion on Kerbal Crew features and the Roster window, I'm still looking at the Roster expansion features.

I still haven't decided whether to keep them in SM or make a separate Mod.

Count me as voting for a separate mod. I really like the ShipManifest functionality, but TBH haven't used the Crew features much/at all. That may change, but since the two features appear to be quite distinct pieces of functionality it makes sense to me to separate them out into their own mods.

Apart from that, great work!

Count me as voting for a separate mod. I really like the ShipManifest functionality, but TBH haven't used the Crew features much/at all. That may change, but since the two features appear to be quite distinct pieces of functionality it makes sense to me to separate them out into their own mods.

Apart from that, great work!

Thanks. That is kinda what I was thinking as well... they are completely distinct in my mind as well.

I found a slight problem with the :) method of renaming crew.

http://pulpaudio.com/ksp/ship_manifest_smiley.jpg

Though it does make him look really happy to be on Minmus!

So, only cosmetic so far... that is good actually. Any other places where it shows up? Not sure if we can find a "benign" character, but may be worth a search...

Hello, Blizzy's toolbar switch is a little wonky in the latest version, if you switch to it in space center, stock launcher still appears in flight and vice versa, switching it in flight causes space center stock launcher buttons to reappear.

Hello, Blizzy's toolbar switch is a little wonky in the latest version, if you switch to it in space center, stock launcher still appears in flight and vice versa, switching it in flight causes space center stock launcher buttons to reappear.

Interesting. I did not see that behavior in testing, and I did a lot of testing. I'll download the current version so I'm seeing apples to apples and test.

Thanks for the report.

Nope that's all I've seen so far. I know 255 is blank but I think it may count as a space.

Thanks. I'll see what I can determine. Still seems like a small tradeoff for the functionality tho :D Thanks for the assist!

Hello PapaJoe

I just noticed (with an older version 4.0.2.) that KSP AWC don't recognized it as outdated.

Anyway in the first place I came here to ask you to please correct the version numbers in the AWC config:

I added:

"VERSION": {

"MAJOR": 4,

"MINOR": 0,

"PATCH": 2

}

To mine and get rid of the original. It worked. The way it was originaly (that inline kinda form) just showed me version 0.0 inside the game.

Turned out that is the minor problem...

So I came here and discovered the major thing. My version (downloaded about a week or two ago) is way to outdated.

I assume this mod currently (at least my outdated version) not working seamlesly with AWC.

The mod itself is a superb thing by the way. Congratulation.

Edited from here:

----

just downloaded the latest version. same: "VERSION": "0.90.0_4.1.0a", can be found inside that config. And tested it... AWC shows 0.0 as the plugin version. (I think it won't shout me to upgrade it either <- this last one is not a statement yet. Not tested it :D).

Edited by Ricardo79

Sorry for your difficulties. As far as the windows not showing, that would have depended on your resolution. I'm running 1920x1080, so if yours is smaller then the windows could have been off the screen.

Deleting the config file will cause exceptions. That is next to correct on my list for bullet proofing the plugin. To correct, just copy the config back from the download, and then replace the following xml:

---- SNIP ----

Let me know if you still have issues. It has been working perfectly for me since implementation.

I will look into programmatically adding the buttons to the Blizzy toolbar and making it appear. Not sure if it is possible but I think it is.

Thanks, Papa_Joe, that was very thorough! I've just fixed the xml and will test it soon.

About Blizzy's toolbar, sorry! I didn't mean to make you explain all that! Ship Manifest has worked with it flawlessly and I indeed didn't see its icon this time but I think it was due to the xml problems and exceptions. I'll try it again and I'm pretty sure it will show itself on Blizzy's toolbar as usual.

Once again, thanks!

--- UPDATE ---

GREAT! With those xml fixes, it worked just fine!

Thanks!

--- OTHER UPDATE ---

Hi, again! Sorry to inform that Ship Manifest works fine with one exception: when I check "Enable Blizzy Toolbar" on the settings, it disappears form stock toolbar and shows in Blizzy's toolbar. But, when I change scenes, it gets back on stock toolbar again...

Edited by jlcarneiro

Thanks, Papa_Joe, that was very thorough! I've just fixed the xml and will test it soon.

About Blizzy's toolbar, sorry! I didn't mean to make you explain all that! Ship Manifest has worked with it flawlessly and I indeed didn't see its icon this time but I think it was due to the xml problems and exceptions. I'll try it again and I'm pretty sure it will show itself on Blizzy's toolbar as usual.

Once again, thanks!

--- UPDATE ---

GREAT! With those xml fixes, it worked just fine!

Thanks!

--- OTHER UPDATE ---

Hi, again! Sorry to inform that Ship Manifest works fine with one exception: when I check "Enable Blizzy Toolbar" on the settings, it disappears form stock toolbar and shows in Blizzy's toolbar. But, when I change scenes, it gets back on stock toolbar again...

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll get on that and get an update out soon. (it's always the last change you make... :P)

Quick question. Are you saving the changes in Settings, or just switching to a new scene? simply closing the Settings window does not persist the change. Clicking save does. Switching scenes will cause SM to relaod settings from disk...

If that is the case, it sounds lie I need to force a save if you close the window by any means other than clicking cancel....

Edited by Papa_Joe

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll get on that and get an update out soon. (it's always the last change you make... :P)

Quick question. Are you saving the changes in Settings, or just switching to a new scene? simply closing the Settings window does not persist the change. Clicking save does. Switching scenes will cause SM to relaod settings from disk...

If that is the case, it sounds lie I need to force a save if you close the window by any means other than clicking cancel....

Hi, Papa_Joe! I swear I clicked on Save every time.

BUT... Believe it or not, when I loaded the game to to make sure I clicked Save and test Ship Manifest once again... It worked fine! I even didn't have to enter settings again, I correctly showed itself on Blizzy Toolbar!

Since you are the "father", do you have ANY idea why it happened this way (simply working after a restart)?

Thanks for the feedback!

You are welcome. I thought that just reported in case if you might not know it.

About this one: I am experienced the same. And yes I am absolutely sure to clicked save.

(In fact the first clicking at the save button was the time when it disappeared from the stock toolbar.)

And after assembled a ComSat with a lifter rocket and exploded it as intended I switched back to the KSP view screen and those 2 SM buttons just stared at me again. <- Hope it could help you in some way.

Oh I forgot. Just for get to know the plugin a bit, I opened the debug consol and it has at least a tons of nullpoint reference errors related to CLS (I do not use CLS. That's why I didn't saved it... Sorry. silly me.)

Edited by Ricardo79

About this one: I am experienced the same. And yes I am absolutely sure to clicked save.

(In fact the first clicking at the save button was the time when it disappeared from the stock toolbar.)

And after assembled a ComSat with a lifter rocket and exploded it as intended I switched back to the KSP view screen and those 2 SM buttons just stared at me again. <- Hope it could help you in some way.

Oh I forgot. Just for get to know the plugin a bit, I opened the debug consol and it has at least a tons of nullpoint reference errors related to CLS (I do not use CLS. That's why I didn't saved it... Sorry. silly me.)

Thanks. I'm looking at it now.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello PapaJoe

I just noticed (with an older version 4.0.2.) that KSP AWC don't recognized it as outdated.

Anyway in the first place I came here to ask you to please correct the version numbers in the AWC config:

I added:

"VERSION": {

"MAJOR": 4,

"MINOR": 0,

"PATCH": 2

}

To mine and get rid of the original. It worked. The way it was originaly (that inline kinda form) just showed me version 0.0 inside the game.

Turned out that is the minor problem...

So I came here and discovered the major thing. My version (downloaded about a week or two ago) is way to outdated.

I assume this mod currently (at least my outdated version) not working seamlesly with AWC.

The mod itself is a superb thing by the way. Congratulation.

Edited from here:

----

just downloaded the latest version. same: "VERSION": "0.90.0_4.1.0a", can be found inside that config. And tested it... AWC shows 0.0 as the plugin version. (I think it won't shout me to upgrade it either <- this last one is not a statement yet. Not tested it :D).

Ya, I noted I rushed the release. I do not have a documented release procedure, and this last release sure is demonstrating why such things are necessary. :P I will correct that and be sure not to let the "little" things slip thru again. I did update the server copy of the AVC version file, but not the local...

Edited by Papa_Joe

Hi, Papa_Joe! I swear I clicked on Save every time.

BUT... Believe it or not, when I loaded the game to to make sure I clicked Save and test Ship Manifest once again... It worked fine! I even didn't have to enter settings again, I correctly showed itself on Blizzy Toolbar!

Since you are the "father", do you have ANY idea why it happened this way (simply working after a restart)?

I was able to duplicate the error.

Here is what was happening.

I switched the toolbars, and disable the event handlers for the stock toolbars. however, in the handlers, i do not make a check to see if Blizzy is enabled I instead "depended" on the fact the handlers were removed. So, on a scene change, the handlers still seem to be active, and therefore show the button in flight on the stock toolbar. However, the Blizzy button is also available. so if you were to click on Configure visible buttons, you would see the SM button available for making visible. In my copy I had both buttons showing on my screen!

This also explains the issue after restart, as the handlers for the stock buttons do not get loaded, and therefore the stock button does not show up...

I'm testing the fix now.

Packaging 4.1.2 now. Change Log:

Version 0.90.0_4.1.2 - Release 24 Feb, 2015 - Settings and Windows cleanup Edition.

- New: Added support for deleting config.xml file. Now properly reconstructs config.xml file from default settings.

- New: Added window boundary checker to ensure that windows cannot be opened beyond the screen. (handles changes from higher to lower screen resolutions.)

- Bug: Config.xml file distributed with non default window positions. This could cause some users not to see the windows when opened.

- Bug: AVS version file out of date. Updated local copy as well as server copy.

- Bug: When hot switching from stock to Blizzy toolbars, a scene change would still allow the stock button to appear in some scenes.

Edited by Papa_Joe

Can you explain this one a bit more for me?

You do not use CLS, but is it installed?, I need to understand when you saw these errors. When you say the Debug console, are you referring to my debug window or KSPs debug window? under what circumstances did these appear?

Thanks! I'll take a look a this before release as well.

NVM. I found the issue. I made a change to CLS detection to support exposing settings in the space center, but did not update the detection scheme in flight. Corrected. added to the change log. Release imminent.

Edited by Papa_Joe

Release:

Version 0.90.0_4.1.2 - Release 24 Feb, 2015 - Settings and Windows clean up Edition.

- New: Added support for deleting config.xml file. Now properly reconstructs config.xml file from default settings.

- New: Added window boundary checker to ensure that windows cannot be opened beyond the screen. (handles changes from higher to lower screen resolutions.)

- Bug: Config.xml file distributed with non default window positions. This could cause some users not to see the windows when opened.

- Bug: AVS version file out of date. Updated local copy as well as server copy.

- Bug: When hot switching from stock to Blizzy toolbars, a scene change would still allow the stock button to appear in some scenes.

- Bug: When CLS is not installed, method GetCLSVessel generates an error in flight.

Hope this behaves better.

As always, thanks for letting me know how it goes!

I got the latest from Kerbalstuff but GitHub has ShipManifest.25.0_3.3.2a_10212014.zip for the latest release.

Thanks. That's what I get for trying to relaese with my grandson begging me to go watch Micky Mouse for the 50th time today... :D I did notice when I was going thru my distribution that I had highlighted that version... weird. Now I know why...

Corrected.

Edited by Papa_Joe

Can you explain this one a bit more for me?

You do not use CLS, but is it installed?, I need to understand when you saw these errors. When you say the Debug console, are you referring to my debug window or KSPs debug window? under what circumstances did these appear?

Thanks! I'll take a look a this before release as well.

NVM. I found the issue. I made a change to CLS detection to support exposing settings in the space center, but did not update the detection scheme in flight. Corrected. added to the change log. Release imminent.

I am so sorry. I wasn't clear on this one.

I do not have installed CLS (For me that means "not using it") for sure. (just Chatterer and CommunityResourcePack not other mod started with the letter "c" is in my gamedata)

The debug consol was found on your plugin's window. I found it in the settings window of yours. This was right when I found out that two button showed up on my stockbar again. On the KSP View.

I am glad you were corrected it. I don't know if it made some "error" or just cosmetical. But I was surprised when I open it and showed me those nullreferences. No other symptomes were detected that time (except the buttons on the bars). (that's why I don't really cared. Sorry.

Downloaded the "newest" version from KerbalStuff.

I can see still the problem with the version checker.

KSPAVC.png

I thought you corrected it. Didn't checked the ingame stuff yet.

Edited: ---------------

You really should make it into this form:

{

"NAME":"Chatterer",

"URL":"http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/version.php?id=27",

"VERSION":

{

"MAJOR":0,

"MINOR":8,

"PATCH":1,

"BUILD":86

},

"KSP_VERSION":

{

"MINOR":90,

"PATCH":0

},

"KSP_VERSION_MIN":

{

"MINOR":25,

"PATCH":0

},

}

I did check all of the working ones uses this format

"VERSION":

{

"MINOR":8,

"PATCH":1,

"BUILD":86

},

----------

Hope it helps

Edited2: ---------------

The ingame "bug" has gone. It uses toolbar instantly. (although I did deleted the old version before isntalled this one) so well done it looks like automaticly using the blizzy's Toolbar.

So far not a single line in the debug window.

------------

Edited by Ricardo79
added more info