Monopropellant =/= Goo Canister

elxverde

First, I forgot to put an antenna on my four-science-module Mun lander, which is fine, because I planned on taking things back anyway. That will cost me a couple hundred in crew reports and EVA reports I can't send back, but whatever. :huh:

Second, I just found out I put monoprop on my lander instead of goo canisters. There aren't even any thrusters! Of course I discovered this right after I landed. :mad:

What a waste. Who else has done this? I should have been more careful, but those two things also shouldn't use the exact same object model.

Yes, but when building craft, I often pick things, throw them away, pick them again, etc. If a tab is open with an object that looks like what I want, I just assume it's what I want. It's not a problem with any other part, obviously, it's just kind of a Kerbal-y thing to do.

Yesterday I sent something up to practice docking with my tanker, got it up to about 30m away I think and switched on the RCS and it wouldn't maneuver the right way. Okay I know I've only done this 2 other times but this didn't happen before. I scratched my head and looked over the outside of the ship and it only had one RCS port. Apparently while setting everything up I went to move them with the single option selected instead of 4 symmetrical. Facepalm.

Then there's all the dumb things that have happened because I didn't double and triple checking the staging order. "Why are my engines not firing? Oh, probably because I just decoupled them all."

Yeah, done that. Especially when re-purposing an existing design; I dont always check everything.

Incidentally, you shouldnt lose any EVA data by not being able to transmit it. Those you stack up in the pod for the return, it's just crew report you really need the antenna for.

I always thought the Goo and Monopropellant tanks were the same size, but the other day I compared the two (I don't use that monoprop tank a lot), and was surprised by the difference. The Goo canister does use a new model, but it's very heavily influenced by the monoprop tank, and I can see how easy it would be to confuse the two without a reference to one another.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.