[0.25] Simple Part Organizer v1.2.1

Felbourn

Hey mreadshaw,

I have not seen, that the binary is inside the git repo. I decided to not upload it, because:

1. The fork is propably unstable (altough it runs fine on a 40+ mod ksp install)

2. The changes are not in a official release, yet.

3. uploading binary files seems a bit awkward to me, beacuse the binary can always be created from the source.

Felbourn should rather upload the .dll once this fork works completly (sorting is still missing).

Greetings

Postremus

Edited by Postremus
Fixed spelling errors

Hey,

Thanks. Ya I figured out that you had only changed the source code once I paid more attention.

Is there a guide for compiling for KSP? I was getting exceptions when I tried. Seemed like I was missing things on my end. (I'll go forum searching now too)

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

The fix provided by someone else did not do anything when I tested it. As for trying to update it myself, nothing has worked so far, and there is no documentation to show what the new API does. As far as I know no one knows how to fix this.

Edited by Felbourn

• 1 month later...

I hope someone can fix it because sorting through 300 parts in my structural or utility page really sucks when I'm making a new ship. If only they added a sort by manufacture option >_> you know...the one that is actually useful lol. I really don't want to edit every single config file and add 1 to every part name for one manufacture and 2 for another and 3 for another etc, etc, etc. but i just might have to...it will save me a lot of time in the long run.

I hope someone can fix it because sorting through 300 parts in my structural or utility page really sucks when I'm making a new ship. If only they added a sort by manufacture option >_> you know...the one that is actually useful lol. I really don't want to edit every single config file and add 1 to every part name for one manufacture and 2 for another and 3 for another etc, etc, etc. but i just might have to...it will save me a lot of time in the long run.

They actually did, it is in the advanced options

They actually did, it is in the advanced options

And if that doesn't work for you, try Filter Extensions.

The actual "part sorting" is locked away somewhere in a deep dark hole, so the best we can do is make a decent filtering system at the moment.

Yeah, I only recently stumbled upon it, but I need to be looking at my KSP screen in order to provide exact help (KSP currently uninstalled since the Kraken attack on my computer system and External Hard Drive power cord failure)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am using it right now, but the thing i liked about this mod was that you could see the text from start, maybe a bit lazy way, but with filter extension you need to move your mouse and wait for the tool tip :/ also, filter extension won't let you have two or more mods show at the same time, i would like to have the ability to have my collection, although i didn't mess with costume groups myself, maybe that will help

• 2 weeks later...

Once I am really digging into using 1.0.2 or higher and adding lots of parts to it, I'll probably be able to look at Filter Extensions and see what they did, and replicate some version of that for SPO. I just have not gotten into that yet. I'm still on 0.25 for Odyssey and 0.90 for Alexandria. My new Operation Gold Strike (coming soon) is 1.0.2 but is all Stock for now.

• 1 month later...

I was looking at other mods to see how filtering is done now, hoping that I might see a quick way to update SPO. It occurs to me that there were only two really useful filters for SPO. One was by wet mass, for building rockets using the lightest parts to get optimal deltaV. That's now a stock filter though. The second useful filter was by "mod directory" to make it easier to see what had been added that was specific to one mod you'd just installed, or to get a variety of parts from the same directory such as when dealing with things like MKS.

While looking around, I found this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104231-1-0-x-Filter-Extensions-2-3-0-(Jun-28)

I am wondering how much SPO is needed now that cool mods such as FE exist, and it might be easier to just take the FE source in a fork to add "filter by directory" categories if that's needed.

Anyone use FE a lot? I just installed it so I have no idea how well it performs yet.

I was looking at other mods to see how filtering is done now, hoping that I might see a quick way to update SPO. It occurs to me that there were only two really useful filters for SPO. One was by wet mass, for building rockets using the lightest parts to get optimal deltaV. That's now a stock filter though. The second useful filter was by "mod directory" to make it easier to see what had been added that was specific to one mod you'd just installed, or to get a variety of parts from the same directory such as when dealing with things like MKS.

While looking around, I found this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104231-1-0-x-Filter-Extensions-2-3-0-(Jun-28)

I am wondering how much SPO is needed now that cool mods such as FE exist, and it might be easier to just take the FE source in a fork to add "filter by directory" categories if that's needed.

Anyone use FE a lot? I just installed it so I have no idea how well it performs yet.

I use FE, but I feel an updated SPO would be, well, simpler, specially if it can work in conjunction with quicksearch

FE works similar to MM, it uses cfg files where you can define specific modfolders which than get filtered into subcategories of your choise.

CATEGORY:NEEDS[UbioWeldingLtd]
{
name = UbioWeldingLtd
icon = UbioWeldingLtd
colour = #FFF0F0F0
all = true

FILTER
{
CHECK
{
type = folder
value = UbioWeldingLtd
}
}

SUBCATEGORIES
{
list = 0,Pods
list = 1,Fuel Tanks
list = 2,Engines
list = 3,Command and Control
list = 4,Structural
list = 5,Aerodynamics
list = 6,Utility
list = 7,Science
}
}

That is a typcial config for a specific mod in this case the weldingtool.

The way you modify parts for Oddysey makes me think you figure out how this works quite quick.

So the fact that Squad has a mass filter, and FE has a folder filter... it makes me think SPO is no longer needed. I'll be using FE for a while and see what I think. So far, I like it. It has a few too many buttons for me, but I can edit the CFGs and see if that fixes my issues with it.

My one problem with FE that I think SPO solves is filtering mods out. FE is great for seeing everything a mod adds but if I want to get rid of a certain mod (say b9 because it adds so many parts I don't usually use) it can't do it in a quick & easy manner.

So the fact that Squad has a mass filter, and FE has a folder filter... it makes me think SPO is no longer needed.

NOTE: Filter by Manufacturer is organised by folder with FE installed (unless you purposefully disable the option, which I have no idea why someone would do...). For smaller mods that only have a page or so of parts that's normally enough. The templating in the categories (Filter nodes in the category definition) is better for larger packs(/groups of packs, eg. Near Future) where keeping multiple subcategories is more useful (and/or things other than folders...)

My one problem with FE that I think SPO solves is filtering mods out. FE is great for seeing everything a mod adds but if I want to get rid of a certain mod (say b9 because it adds so many parts I don't usually use) it can't do it in a quick & easy manner.

That's always going to be the weakness of limiting FE to using the stock system, more dynamic filtering is a bit difficult to achieve without its own UI. It can filter out things, it's just going to be a permanent/separate instalment which often doesn't make sense. I've started a dynamic search UI addon for it twice now to rectify this, but I just don't want it enough to subject myself to working with Unity's UI system for long...

Edited by Crzyrndm

You mean "show me all parts but NOT B9"? Yea, I guess FE doesn't do that. At first I was thinking you were saying you wanted to see only B9, which FE can do. I've been using FE for a few days now (and even created a custom filter or two) and so far I am still not sure I miss SPO. I think I need to get more of my mods installed in the latest version, and then decide. If I have 12 mods with parts, maybe I'll feel differently.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.