Hibernation Pod Part for TACS

freakingtree

One day I was playing with the awesome TAC's Life support mod when I realized we need a real effective way to send kerbals on long missions. So after getting some models from one Mr. Helix935 I managed to throw together a working cryo or hypersleep pod for the mod. At this point iv got 2 models to choose from and am in dire need of someone willing to texture one. As soon as this is done I can release it with the full blessing of the creator of TAC's.OlkCaDX.png

Model number 1

EZjLieE.png

Model number 2

I have no ability's with photo shop so any help there would be very appreciated. Pretty much at this point who ever textures the models can choose whitch one is used (unless Helix disagrees since he made them)

If you could put the dimensions of what/where needs to be textured I could send you an email with some attempts, might be better than nothing as a palce holder.

Also, why not use both modles? Same texures, except one would have a glass portion and give them different stats? They can both only hold so much food/water that is slowly put into your kerbal, using different rates of electricity and resources, meaning, you might even want to send a robotic craft up to reload resources on every now and then, if you were to use the less efficient one? Just a random idea :)

Good luck.

Could make a 3rd and 4th one, both of these be radial and the other two be 1.5m and the larger unit? Like a mini housing unit that could fit 1 for the smaller, 2 or 3 for the larger, more charge used for more people?

Then the others could be radial, one person each?

Or whatever :P It's your mod inside your sand box, I look forward to what you come up with :)

How are these supposed to be attached? I like the concept, but I just don't know how I would put them onto my craft.

Plan is atm for radial attachment but im having collision mesh issues.

I like the idea, but how is it not OP? Does it use a lot of EC or what?

Plan is massive power use. At the moment it uses the full output of a large solar array at kerbin.

If you could put the dimensions of what/where needs to be textured I could send you an email with some attempts, might be better than nothing as a palce holder.

Also, why not use both modles? Same texures, except one would have a glass portion and give them different stats? They can both only hold so much food/water that is slowly put into your kerbal, using different rates of electricity and resources, meaning, you might even want to send a robotic craft up to reload resources on every now and then, if you were to use the less efficient one? Just a random idea :)

Good luck.

At the moment it simply uses a large amount of power but I am considering creating a new reasource it could use (that way you cant simply steal the food and water it starts with) that would need to be re stocked. Just an idea thou right now i just want to get it in game. As for what to texture in my opinion whomever dose the textures may choose what they are haha I have no mind for art so I woulnt even try. Would it be easier to do them if I just sent you the unity project? Send me a message and leme know.

I cant believe all the responses this got already! as for more models im not the modeller in this but if you guys can Helix935 (please dont spam him) to whip more up id be happy to add em in.

I think integration with Flexrack would be amazing. Have stackable cryopods, that can be transported around like frozen cattle almost. They are already going to be integrated with the other life support mods with resources and stuff like that being incorporated into them. This surely would be a natural progression?

BseBhSa.jpgQ6HZfNwl.jpg

I think going high electric use might not be the answer. If you can instead make it tricky to put people in, or to get them out it would be better. IE a Kerbal has four states as far as hibernation is concerned.

Awake-normal every day activity outside the chamber.

Prepping-Going into hibernation. In this mode you cannot switch to another mode. Takes maybe an hour to go in during which the Kerbal cannot do anything. Note you cannot wake them at this point but have to wait till the prepping is complete and they go into full hibernation. Maybe high power use for just this part of the process?

Hibernation-Their status when 'stored' in hibernation. They don't consume lifesupport but can't do anything else. The only option is to wake them from this 'mode'

Waking-Their status when being woken from hibernation. This should take some considerable time. I'd day 8 hours to a day. Again they can't do anything while 'waking' and can't change modes. Part of this is activity to get the Kerbals fully operational again. Maybe there should be some sort of chamber just for this operation? With exercise equipment etc? Perhaps you can wake them without this chamber but it takes much longer before they switch from 'Waking' to 'Awake'? If the hibernation chamber is light wieght and the recovery chamber is heavy it might encourage mounting the recovery chamber in a station or ship at the destination, which it docks at. Transfer the Kerbal from the Hibernation pod to the Recovery center and start waking him up. Wash rinse and repeat for other hibernating Kerbals.

Another possibility is that the waking process is dangerous. The Kerbal might not make it. Plus you could station another awake Kerbal to monitor them during this to minimize the risk.

OK, this is rather involved, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Edited by Patupi

I think integration with Flexrack would be amazing. Have stackable cryopods, that can be transported around like frozen cattle almost. They are already going to be integrated with the other life support mods with resources and stuff like that being incorporated into them. This surely would be a natural progression?

Love the idea of stacking cryopods like that! I would need no models thou.

I think going high electric use might not be the answer. If you can instead make it tricky to put people in, or to get them out it would be better. IE a Kerbal has four states as far as hibernation is concerned.

Awake-normal every day activity outside the chamber.

Prepping-Going into hibernation. In this mode you cannot switch to another mode. Takes maybe an hour to go in during which the Kerbal cannot do anything. Note you cannot wake them at this point but have to wait till the prepping is complete and they go into full hibernation. Maybe high power use for just this part of the process?

Hibernation-Their status when 'stored' in hibernation. They don't consume lifesupport but can't do anything else. The only option is to wake them from this 'mode'

Waking-Their status when being woken from hibernation. This should take some considerable time. I'd day 8 hours to a day. Again they can't do anything while 'waking' and can't change modes. Part of this is activity to get the Kerbals fully operational again. Maybe there should be some sort of chamber just for this operation? With exercise equipment etc? Perhaps you can wake them without this chamber but it takes much longer before they switch from 'Waking' to 'Awake'? If the hibernation chamber is light wieght and the recovery chamber is heavy it might encourage mounting the recovery chamber in a station or ship at the destination, which it docks at. Transfer the Kerbal from the Hibernation pod to the Recovery center and start waking him up. Wash rinse and repeat for other hibernating Kerbals.

Another possibility is that the waking process is dangerous. The Kerbal might not make it. Plus you could station another awake Kerbal to monitor them during this to minimize the risk.

OK, this is rather involved, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

The one issue with this the the limitations of TAC's mod whitch i hav to work with. However if anyone knows a deacent way to impliment something like this I would happily attempt it

One thing this dose do is force you to EVA each kerbal to his pod, even when not in hibernation it is not a command pod.

Of course with crew manifest you could transfer, but I get what you mean. That sort of nixes the separate recovery bay. Hard to have a 'waking' Kerbal go EVA and not be controllable! :D If a way around that is possible it might be cool. Maybe a coding to put a button on the recovery bay that automatically transfers a Kerbal? I am a programmer but I've never really looked into how KSP works so I'm not much help in that regard. Sorry. Maybe the author of Crew Manifest can help? That transfers crew around well enough.

With Christmas soo soon and me being so busy I really ont have time to get these models in game at the moment. But since thats all is needed atm if anyone wants to fix the collision and slap on some textures I can/ will get this thing in game for you guys to play with right away. Also I love all this input and will deffenetly read and consider all suggestions since I am specifically doin this for the community not just for myself.

So if anyone would like to contribute in any way feel free to let me know. Suggestions, Textures, New and interesting models, Advice. I really want to get this out there before I start university again in a week.

Edited by freakingtree

Honestly I like having to fly back to your command pod, means you have to plan in advance to give yourself time to do the transfers. Im very new to modding kerbal so as long as its just me on the code side of this it will pretty much get more complicated as I get better. :P

I always wanted something like this, but I always pictured it like the hitchhiker. A simple module that once kerbals are inside don't consume resources. And the little icons in the lower right could show them with their eyes closed.

Basically the part I pictured would have the TC's parts inside it. Just one simple module. Draw backs? Make it heavy.

I like the idea that it requires lots of power to initially get the cryo pods working but I think that it should require something more besides just power. Perhaps water to freeze the kerbals? or maybe even make it a special cryo fluid that you must use to initiate the deep sleep. All this would be like the original TAC mod in which you need to plan accordingly how much water/cryo fluid you would need to be able to get all the kerbals to sleep.

I have no ability's with photo shop so any help there would be very appreciated. Pretty much at this point who ever textures the models can choose whitch one is used (unless Helix disagrees since he made them)

i made these models because i wanted to know which one would be considered the best by the awesome KSP community so i'm sure whoever decides to texture will make the right choice also i should mention that well funny story i actually wanted to have the second model use FLEX rack that i actually have a model with a slot but i wasn't sure about it....

I like the idea that it requires lots of power to initially get the cryo pods working but I think that it should require something more besides just power. Perhaps water to freeze the kerbals? or maybe even make it a special cryo fluid that you must use to initiate the deep sleep. All this would be like the original TAC mod in which you need to plan accordingly how much water/cryo fluid you would need to be able to get all the kerbals to sleep.

I think I will implement this since I like the extra resource need any ideas what to call it? Liquid nitrogen, IV fluid, Soylent Green?

i made these models because i wanted to know which one would be considered the best by the awesome KSP community so i'm sure whoever decides to texture will make the right choice also i should mention that well funny story i actually wanted to have the second model use FLEX rack that i actually have a model with a slot but i wasn't sure about it....

I would love to do one that is flex rack compatible I think carting your sleeping kerbals around like common cargo is an awesome idea. We should have a flex rack pod and a flex rack resource pack for whatever it uses. (Not asking you to go make em, youv already given great stuff to the mod. But if you want to I wi

Reference above to 'frozen cattle'? Wouldn't it be more like frozen brussels sprouts?

Haha yeah, it would. Good point ;)

Great minds think alike :)

If you like, i could try and help you on the textures.

Here is a small camera i made and textured, its all I've ever done modelling and texturingwise until now though :)

That looks great! I would love for you to try to do one deffenetly! Let me know what you will need and ill get it to you.

Sorry but I'm a little confused. Is this a .dll addon or is it just going to be config changes? Either way wouldn't it make sense to release what you have and just have a placeholder object instead of holding back for someone to make a texture? I'm curious what you have because I was recently thinking of creating a mod that does something similar. The idea would be to put kerbals into cryosleep for a duration of time which locks out control of the ship and stops resource consumption by a certain amount.

Sorry but I'm a little confused. Is this a .dll addon or is it just going to be config changes? Either way wouldn't it make sense to release what you have and just have a placeholder object instead of holding back for someone to make a texture? I'm curious what you have because I was recently thinking of creating a mod that does something similar. The idea would be to put kerbals into cryosleep for a duration of time which locks out control of the ship and stops resource consumption by a certain amount.

Unless you have a computer on board to control the ship while the little green men sleep the journey away of course. But then again the computer might turn sentient and kill off the entire crew. But you do have a point. I would like to see a placeholder and post the mod as is as a proof of concept. As for a good name for the resource I think glycerol would be a cool name. I looked into it and doctors use glycerol to prevent ice from forming in between cells which would cause tissue damage during the freezing process.

Unless you have a computer on board to control the ship while the little green men sleep the journey away of course. But then again the computer might turn sentient and kill off the entire crew. But you do have a point. I would like to see a placeholder and post the mod as is as a proof of concept. As for a good name for the resource I think glycerol would be a cool name. I looked into it and doctors use glycerol to prevent ice from forming in between cells which would cause tissue damage during the freezing process.

you know whenever i envision the future of cryosleep, i always thought that instead of an AI controlling the ship while the crew sleeps instead the crew would be linkup to the ship in a sort of matrix like up-link that allows them to control the ship from sleep and experience warp freely although i a not sure if kerbals will like having spikes embedded into their skulls but oh well

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.