PYLON SSTO: a 0.23 replica of REL's Skylon!

ZodiaK

ZodiaK ind. presents...

the PYLON SSTO

cG6lHDP.png

Are you a budding kerbal space entrepreneur?

Are you tired of using expensive, wasteful, unweildly rockets to boost your probes into orbit?

There's GOT to be a better way!

Well now there is! with the new

PYLON SSTO!

This revolutionary spaceplane allows you to launch your satellites into space for less than half of the price of conventional rockets! -what a save!

We have harnessed the groundbreaking technology of new RAPIER engines to build this sleek, stylish, super-charged Skylon Substitute!

Can you afford not to fly this beautiful addition to any fleet?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

FLIGHT GUIDE:

// action groups: 1 will open / close cargo bay legs. Gear only opens / closes landing gear.

(On load, the PYLON SSTO might fall apart slightly. to fix, revert to launch until nothing falls off. simple!)

1. Throttle to 100% and taxi down runway until at end. once you have fallen off of the runway, pitch IMMEDIATELY to 45o.

2. Keep flying at 100% throttle at 45 degrees until you reach roughly 10 kilometers. at this point, plateau a bit, making prograde at about 20o.

3. Keep flying at this angle until rocket mode kicks in. throttle down to 45% throttle and point at 45o.

Oxidizer is very limited, so be careful!

4. Boost until AP marker reaches 80 kilometres.

5. Once at AP, boost until PE marker is above 70 kilometres. adjust orbit accordingly.

6. press 1 to open the cargo bay. undock your craft and separate it from PYLON.

RE-ENTRY PHASE

1. burn retrograde wherever. we don't care.

2. once in atmosphere, keep the pylon in line with your prograde indicator, pitched at about 20o above the horizon.

3. From here, you can either glide to land (unlikely) or fly under power to land or runway.

4. upon landing, you can brake immediately if you want. again, we don't care.

DOWNLOAD

http://www./view/ajnbuk8h9mwzs6n/Pylon%20SSTO.craft

====================================================================================================

ZodiaK. PTS stands for Pylon to space. Original, I know!

Edited by ZodiaK

YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS

(disclaimer: I have never played Starcraft, nor am I interested in real-time strategy games)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by both of those sentences.

the PYLON is based off of a british spacecraft called the Skylon.

what do you mean by "You must construct additional PYLONs"?

ZodiaK. kerbune Miku!

I have downloaded and tested it, and it got VERY limited oxidizer, I never got into orbit with it. My peripapas ( I know I spelled that wrong ) was about 60km when the oxidizer run out, even if I completed orbit I would have nothing left to get back home. Could you might make a version with longer pylons that has more fuel?

It worked for me the first try, but something exploded when it switched to rocket mode. I think it might have been the half of the rapier engines? (I noticed that there are two engines on the same place, put on eachother).

But it went up nicely, i could deorbit too, and even had some oxidizer left. I didn't put any cargo in it though.

that is very true. I have included a detailed flight guide in my main post, but as this is fairly new, It cannot be an exact science. I'm sorry if this doesn't meet your personal standards. I, for one, find that it's not the easiest thing to fly (It would probably work better with a joystick!), but the practicability and novelty of this craft more than makes it up (or at least, that's what I hope). Please note that I am no mulbin, and cannot work to his/her standards, but I give all of my crafts my best work. whether it be extensive research or design work (I had to go through several internal iterations to get it to where it is now), or perhaps large amounts of time spent on the drawing board. I hope that the PYLON presents itself ,at first, as a challenge, before becoming a friend, and finally, an unforgettable asset. know that this is not the definite model, but more the start of a new era in cargo spaceplanes. As 0.23 has been granted to us players, as have the players been granted less restriction in the realm of commercial competition and creativity. the PYLON could be seen as the figurehead craft of ZodiaK industries, leading us into the unknown and untested. I would like to finish my letter by saying that as the winter season falls cold on our heads, that ZodiaK industries does not take responsebility for nuclear fallout being mis-identified as snow. Merry Kerbmish!

ZodiaK. 100th post! about kerbin' time!

far all the people saying that it's awesome and cool, No-one has downloaded it yet

how does that work?

Sometimes Mediafire doesn't show how many people have downloaded files for a while... and by sometimes I mean always.

Try making a Pylon that can carry up a big red fuel tank~ xD

*edit*

Tested your craft now.. and just some thoughts about it.

I'm Not very fond of the clipping of the engines like that.. pixel for pixel exact same spot. I know why you did it but yeah. Not fond of that at all.

The craft lacks structural integrity, it could use more stitching so it doesn't wobble around so much.

The craft does not take off before the end of the runway, which means it can only take off from the runway.

Other than that you have the balance pretty good, it is very easy to land.

Edited by KissSh0t

thank you kissSh0t!

I understand your anxiety about the engine clipping, but without doing this, It can't lift itself.

for the takeoff problem: I will add more wings to it when I can.

for the wobble problem: I can add more struts. where did it wobble?

ZodiaK. thanks for the feedback

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.