BioMass Ongoing Development

Roboto

yep. I will just remake the hydrogen and kethane tanks. and maybe see about the universal tank idea with switching skins etc.

EDIT:

so after doing a bit of work with this I find many of the parts still use "hydrogen" so it has not been removed from the resources, the red tank was just removed?

and secondly why do the atmosphere processors use "IntakeATM" rather than the basic "IntakeAir"?

and thirdly(?) the green leaf icons for the button in flight are not on the "toolbar" mod's tool bar, but rather it seems to over lay on the KSP tool bar. I prefer it to be on the "toolbar" mod. however if you want KSP tool bar that is fine but the problem is that it sits on top of another mod's button.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

EDIT:

so after doing a bit of work with this I find many of the parts still use "hydrogen" so it has not been removed from the resources, the red tank was just removed?

It's true that parts use hydrogen. But it makes no sense to have a tank that holds "hydrogen". A tank would hold compressed hydrogen...unless it was just a balloon. Know what I mean? The hydrogen compressor allows you to compress/release it from MonoPropellant tanks. Is hydrogen MonoPropellant? Honestly I don't think so. I think the MonoPropellant is ethylene oxide (C2H4O). But for now we are saying you can compress hydrogen into MonoPropellant. Forgive me <hits self in head>

and secondly why do the atmosphere processors use "IntakeATM" rather than the basic "IntakeAir"?

You might be confusing BioMass' atmospheric processor with some other mod's. I just checked and we use IntakeAir. Having said that, the atmospheric processor has not received a lot of love from us. We've been focusing on the greenhouse stuff more.

and thirdly(?) the green leaf icons for the button in flight are not on the "toolbar" mod's tool bar, but rather it seems to over lay on the KSP tool bar. I prefer it to be on the "toolbar" mod. however if you want KSP tool bar that is fine but the problem is that it sits on top of another mod's button.

Ok. That's a bug. There should be two versions of the button: The one that appears in the Space Center view (where you change difficulty) and one that appears during flights (which allows you to monitor craft). Can you check and see which (or both) is not working as desired?

Dev update note

Over on the release thread somone mentioned a problem with the Classic setting:

The problem I'm seeing is that the vessel's mass is increasing over time, with both the food greenhouse and aquatic greenhouse. Also, I'm not seeing seeds as a resource--should those be appearing? The food greenhouse is also using a heck of a lot of electricity (7 or 8 per second) even with the lights off.

We talked a bit about why this problem exists in Classic, but the tl;dr of it is that the original release of BioMass (which is what Classic is meant to be) wasn't meant to be mass balanced.

I think we have a solution, though. Well, I know we have a solution. We just need to decide how to implement it. Roboto and I are conferring on some ideas.

That is all.

Ok. That's a bug. There should be two versions of the button: The one that appears in the Space Center view (where you change difficulty) and one that appears during flights (which allows you to monitor craft). Can you check and see which (or both) is not working as desired?

Both...

This first one the button is just a purple square..

screenshot0.png

While this one is overlying another button on the KSP toolbar area.

screenshot1.png

Edited by Bit Fiddler

Update 0.2.0.0 (2014.09.29):

-Added version file for Automatic Version Control (AVC) mod integration (suggested by Bit Fiddler)

-Added file paths to resources for use by Alternate Resource Panel mod.

-Fixed purple icon in toolbar at Space Center view (bug reported by Bit Fiddler)

-In-flight button moved

-Made "Easy" play mode a mass-balanced version of Classic (mass balance bug reported by KBluey). Seanth is punching himself in the head. Note: there are no plans to alter how Classic works.

-Most "Easy" play mode parts shifted into Utility vs Classic having them in "Science".

-Some "Easy" play mode parts have slightly different description compared to "Classic" to make it easier to go from Easy to Hard.

-Misc spelling and other fixes

• 2 weeks later...

I'm testing your mod in KSP .25

Actually I didn't ever try it with .24 so I don't know how it is supposed to work. Anyway on a vanilla Linux x64 .25 KSP (with Toolbar and ModuleManager 2.5.1 installed) I get this load cfg failed on launching.

http://imgur.com/yAL1xGA

In the KSP view the button does nothing. During launch displays a white rectangle.

http://i.imgur.com/VWKNIv9.png

So I can't change the difficulty. Manually editing Plugin/pluginData/BioMassDifficulty.cfg doesn't affect the game... at least from what I understood from the videos the GreenHouses should use resources like seeds and nutrients in order to work. They instead can only contain Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Light, Waste, Food and Water and they don't produce waste.

The "Light" resource beave a little oddly... increases and decreases with time acceleration.

I really hope that there will be a working .25 release. I never tried TACLS because it missed a greenhouse and UNI Kolonization System is way too complex.

Your mod does complete TACLS and together with some station parts packs (like Habitat Pack and Stockalike Station Parts Expansion) and KAS, provides a less complex alternative to UNI Kolonization System.

I'm testing your mod in KSP .25

Actually I didn't ever try it with .24 so I don't know how it is supposed to work. Anyway on a vanilla Linux x64 .25 KSP (with Toolbar and ModuleManager 2.5.1 installed) I get this load cfg failed on launching.

http://imgur.com/yAL1xGA

In the KSP view the button does nothing. During launch displays a white rectangle.

http://i.imgur.com/VWKNIv9.png

So I can't change the difficulty. Manually editing Plugin/pluginData/BioMassDifficulty.cfg doesn't affect the game... at least from what I understood from the videos the GreenHouses should use resources like seeds and nutrients in order to work. They instead can only contain Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Light, Waste, Food and Water and they don't produce waste.

The "Light" resource beave a little oddly... increases and decreases with time acceleration.

I really hope that there will be a working .25 release. I never tried TACLS because it missed a greenhouse and UNI Kolonization System is way too complex.

Your mod does complete TACLS and together with some station parts packs (like Habitat Pack and Stockalike Station Parts Expansion) and KAS, provides a less complex alternative to UNI Kolonization System.

In the pluginData folder... BioMass/Plugin/pluginData/ BioMass should create it's own save file there called biosave-**.cfg Delete any save files you find in there.

Let me know if that helps!

I really hope that there will be a working .25 release.

I'll weigh in on this as well.

Looking over the Module Manager (MM) thread, it looks like MM is not working with x64 versions of KSP. If MM doesn't work, it will be impossible to change difficulty levels in the game. Also, note that TAC-Life Support won't work with x64, version .25

Can you post your log file somewhere we can see? It better help us know what is going on. I suspect things are not working due to your using x64, but the log file would help confirm that.

I planned on doing some testing tonight (32 bit, version .25) to make sure things are working and get ready to roll out some new parts and misc edits for the next update.

Edited by seanth

Well this isn't windows x64, this is patrick... ehm... linux x64 and modulemanager works nicely ;)

Anyway I tested the 32bit version too but nothing changed. I'll try again deleting the biosaves files.

A log file would make it easier to help you....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

here is some bug reports:

1)a Sometimes CO2 will not transfer from module to module, need to reload craft

1)b Sometimes transferring CO2 from 1 tank will deplete tank # 1 , but not transfer that CO2 to tank #2. Therefore CO2 disappearing in thin air , not literally

2) Might be a bug ? The first timewarp notch will not let you build up biomass, it will show the number climbing, but when you drop out of time warp the number will reset back to the normalized value

hope to see this mod working like a champ for .90 :)

on linux x64

Edited by lextacy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Would really like to see 1.0 compatibility, as it looks like an excellent mod to have for my gameplay style

Roboto and I are on the case. Keep an eye on the github repository to see what our progress is. We'll be testing things to see whether we can move to new stock Squad generators, balance testing, etc.

A little something to look forward too when we release the BioMass update for KSP 1.0

GreenHouse is an extended ModuleDeployableSolarPanel that can be added to a part cfg like so...

MODULE{

name = GreenHouse
scalePlants = true //should the module attempt to scale plant models
plantMeshName = plant //the name(transform.name) given to each plant in Unity3D
maxPlantSize = 0.09 //the max size the plant model should be scaled. Will not stop biomass production.

animationName = Deploy
animSwitch = true
sunTracking = true
raycastTransformName = glass
pivotName = glass
isBreakable = false
resourceName = Light

chargeRate = 1.0
powerCurve
{
key = 206000000000 0 0 0
key = 13599840256 1 0 0
key = 68773560320 0.5 0 0
key = 0 0 0 0
}

}

And that's it! The module then searches the part model for meshes that are names "PREFABplant" or just "plant", and then applies scaling to them as biomass increases/decreases.

Edited by Roboto

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.