Sign in to follow this  
Tex

Kee-thane Keh-thane, or Kee-than-ay?

Kee-thane, Keh-thane, or Kee-than-ay?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Kee-thane, Keh-thane, or Kee-than-ay?

So, yes, this is a bit of a personal-business post. I've recently been discussing with one of my Kerbonaut friends, and he pronounces the namesake resource of the Kethane mod as Kee-thane. I pronounce the name as Keh-thane, as I believe the name is a derivative of the real-world gas methane.

From this, my natural curiosity pushed me to ask: How do you guys pronounce it? Kee-thane, keh-thane, or as the developer proffered, Keh-than-ay?

-EDIT- I forgot the comma between two options in the title. Please don't hound me for it :P

I've heard it's supposed to be pronounced "keh-than-ay" but I refuse. If they didn't want it to be pronounced like "methane", they should have done more to name it than remove the "m" from methane and slap on a "k."

In the country in which I live, it's pronounced "meh-thane" and so I pronounce this "keh-thane."

In other, more exotic lands I hear tell that they pronounce it "mee-thane" so for them to call it "kee-thane" is perfectly normal.

End of discussion.

Exactly what 5thHorseman says, it's all about the accent/region.

5thHorseman's analysis is correct. The name is derived from methane, so adapt it from however you would pronounce that. I have never advocated the "keh-than-ay" aberration.

If it is derived from methane/ethane, and nothing suggests otherwise, IPA for English states that the pronounciation is ˈmɛθeɪn, ˈmiËÂθeɪn or even ˈmÉ›tæn.

Therefore the derivatives would be ˈkɛθeɪn, ˈkiËÂθeɪn or ˈkÉ›tæn.

I use ˈmiËÂθeɪn, so I use ˈkiËÂθeɪn, too.

In other, more exotic lands I hear tell that they pronounce it "mee-thane" so for them to call it "kee-thane" is perfectly normal.

I completely agree, though I do want to point out that we live in the same town in Wyoming. I suppose it just irritates me that he pronounces it such, though at the same time I realize it's not a very big issue. I could live with him saying it (maybe).

Hmm, interestingly enough where I live we pronounce "methane" as "meh-thane", so you'd expect me to pronounce "kethane" as "keh-thane", right? Apparently not... I've always pronounced "kethane" as "kee-thane".

I used to say KEEthane but since methane is often pronounced MEHthane I tend to say KEHthane in that manner now.

I've heard it's supposed to be pronounced "keh-than-ay" but I refuse. If they didn't want it to be pronounced like "methane", they should have done more to name it than remove the "m" from methane and slap on a "k."

In the country in which I live, it's pronounced "meh-thane" and so I pronounce this "keh-thane."

End of discussion.

I pronounce it like that.

Hmm, interestingly enough where I live we pronounce "methane" as "meh-thane", so you'd expect me to pronounce "kethane" as "keh-thane", right? Apparently not... I've always pronounced "kethane" as "kee-thane".

I'm exactly the same way. I always say "meh-thane" but for some reason it doesn't sound right to say "keh-thane". I also pronounce ethane as "ee-thane" for some reason. Perhaps I'm just dumb.

I'm exactly the same way. I always say "meh-thane" but for some reason it doesn't sound right to say "keh-thane". I also pronounce ethane as "ee-thane" for some reason. Perhaps I'm just dumb.

As easy as it is to associate the two in our minds, pronunciation and intelligence are not actually connected. I think you're fine. Or at least, if you are dumb it's not because of how you pronounce methane, ethane and kethane. :)