When is it OK to use Hyperedit?

NASAFanboy

Do you ever use Hyperedit?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you ever use Hyperedit?

• Yes, but only for bugs and glitches
    • Hyperedit? Always.
    • I made Duna orbit Kerbin to make space travel easier

Because opening an old (version 0.21) save file in version 0.24 results in the updated landing legs appearing in folded state (rather than bothering to check the existing state of the legs), several of my bases and landers will crash to the ground and fall over when I update to 0.23. To prevent this, I'll have to use various tricks…and one of them will involve using HyperEdit to temporarily hold one or more of the ships in orbit during the update, then put them back in place on the surface.

I use hyperedit to "test" my designs' modules(in example, to see if my Duna lander can land and orbit around Duna) without having to bring them at the test site.

I also use it when I feel kerbal and place ridiculous contraptions(in example, a cockpit with a lot of mainsails radially attached to make it spin very fast) when I know I couldn't send it in orbit with regulars rocket, even if I wanted to.

I never used Hyperedit myself but I think it is fine to fix bugs such as when your landed ship explodes after you have returned to it. And I also think it is fine for testing, because transporting the module all the way to Jool just to find out you have some basic design flaw is waste.

Personally, I only use Hyper edit when I'm sending many payloads of similar type to a planetary body, such as transporting several fuel tanks to the Mun for a kethane base. I do have to make the first trip manually, though, to prove that I can do it. The Hyper Edit-ing from then on is simply a time-saving measure on my side, so I can get on with more important things.

I also use Hyper Edit to transport things that could realistically be built on other bodies, such as a Rover parking lot, provided they had the materials on hand. Obviously, the materials are sent there first, then they're destroyed and the "newly built" structure is HE'd into place.

I sometimes use HyperEdit to test very specific functions or procedures of my craft before launching them. In the real world you can run simulations, do wind tunnel or vacuum chamber tests and eliminate other variables. These things are not available in KSP - there is not even a rocky test track for rovers - so I feel it is only fair to substitute those in some way. They are always subsystem tests though, as elaborate dry runs are less trivial to emulate. When the real mission starts there is no going back or cheating or conveniently changing the environment though. If things go awry then, they go awry.

In 0.23 I will probably run two installs next to each other. One is simulated space where pretty much anything goes (even though I make a point of not doing things that could not be reasonably done somehow in the real world), the other is the 'real' world. In the first nothing counts as real, in the second nothing gets reloaded or reverted. Any damage or death is permanent in the real install.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.