Deadly Reentry recommended heights?

O Nerd

Well, i want to do several missions to places that have any atmosphere, and i want some tips not to make the reentry deadly. So, if anyone have any experience with the mods, could you say me good speeds/heights for reentries on other planets/moons?

Edited by O Nerd

Try to get your Apoapsis as low as possible (the higher your Apoapsis, the higher your speed at Periapsis [and the hotter your vehicle gets]).

Also try to enter at a rather shallow angle (I for my part usually make my final reentry at Apo < 1.000 km and Peri ~30-40km)

and often have such low temperatures, that even parts without shields survive

why not do it in the Kerbal way?

Send a Victim to a test reentry on eve or Laythe and just take records of where and at what Height the atmo of which one of these planets begin...

(is the rule: temperature = atp * (s/t)^g true??)

On the wiki you can see the height of the atmosphere. So do like this:

1. Set a circular orbit just above the atmosphere.

2. Lower the Pe into the atmosphere just a little.

I don't have the exact heights, but if you lower the Pe too much, you burn. Too little and you won't air break enough. So start small and see what happens. If you exit the atmosphere again, lower the Pe more on the second run.

why not do it in the Kerbal way?

Send a Victim to a test reentry on eve or Laythe and just take records of where and at what Height the atmo of which one of these planets begin...

(is the rule: temperature = atp * (s/t)^g true??)

É uma boa ideia... Mas pobres Kerbais.... :(

The problem is that it takes a ot of Delta-v to make an orbit around anywhere, so, i want to make a direct descent into the atmosphere.

You can air break. Save your game and set your Pe a little inside the atmosphere and make a fly-by. You will air break and your escape trajectory will become an orbit, with no fuel used. Do it several times and eventually you will land. For Kerbin the safe height is 40km. It is enough to air break and not enough to burn.

Save first, because if you set your Pe too low you will burn.

The optimal height where you can do it directly in one shot depends on how fast you are and how high you are. So it's safer to go in and out a couple of times to lose speed.

Kerbal science is not an exact science. It is trial and error, with lots of errors.

I use both Deadly reentry, FAR and RealChute so my numbers are a tad off, but I just did a mun free return, PE about 20km up, orbital speed about 3.1km/s. Popped drouge chute at 45km up mains popped at 40km up max temp 875 degrees on the heat shield, nothing broke. For Laythe it is about the same as Kerbin. Eve, anything less thatn about 95km should be good (Assuming you pop chutes early). Duna: Might as well treat it like an airless world the atmo is so thin.

I use both Deadly reentry, FAR and RealChute so my numbers are a tad off, but I just did a mun free return, PE about 20km up, orbital speed about 3.1km/s. Popped drouge chute at 45km up mains popped at 40km up max temp 875 degrees on the heat shield, nothing broke. For Laythe it is about the same as Kerbin. Eve, anything less thatn about 95km should be good (Assuming you pop chutes early). Duna: Might as well treat it like an airless world the atmo is so thin.

You opened parachutes BEFORE you hit the thicker atmosphere, and they didn't burn up? I'd be suspicious about that...

É uma boa ideia... Mas pobres Kerbais.... :(

FAR and Deadly Reentry truely are great mods wen put thoguether.

and about the Pobres Kerbais ("Poor Kerbals" in kerbaguese), just don't send Bill, Bob or Jeb... Is for this kind of task that you had the "estagiários" (A.K.A. Cannon Fodder)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.