[v0.24] Tarsier Space Technology (v4.5c Now with GALAXIES!!!)

tobyb121

Question about the ChemCam... Is there a reason why it seems to like exploding when I launch from Kerbin carrying it on a probe? The problem seems to happen at about 5,000 meters and about 200 m/s. The Cam explodes, then the game focuses on the spot where it exploded, but keeps following the carrying rocket as it goes up, and I can actually control that rocket to an extent even if it isn't in view.

KSP 0.24 with Mechjeb as the only other mod running.

Question about the ChemCam... Is there a reason why it seems to like exploding when I launch from Kerbin carrying it on a probe? The problem seems to happen at about 5,000 meters and about 200 m/s. The Cam explodes, then the game focuses on the spot where it exploded, but keeps following the carrying rocket as it goes up, and I can actually control that rocket to an extent even if it isn't in view.

exactly what i asked but you explained it better is there a fix for it?

OK, I've had a look and I am also getting this problem now, it seems that there may be a piece of geometry on the ChemCam model that has a bad rotation value, I'll try and hunt it down and fix it, thanks for reporting the problem :)

I have been meaning to install this again, I used to have it and then lost track of it. Now I've got this thread subscribed so I can always find it again. Thanks for all the work you've put into this mod. I am at work right now but when I get home I'll install it and get you some feedback and pictures. I hear mod makers love pictures of their mod in action, heh.

Looks like I've encountered a bug.

So, I've got a contract: analyze the surface composition of the Runway. Okay, easy Science - HECS probe + Chemcam in SPH, launch, and... nothing. I can't analyze runway - Chemcam analyzes Shores instead, no matter where I'm firing it. I've tried to target any zone on the runway, tried to drive around - no result. That was the first contract I've aborted.

Looks like I've encountered a bug.

So, I've got a contract: analyze the surface composition of the Runway. Okay, easy Science - HECS probe + Chemcam in SPH, launch, and... nothing. I can't analyze runway - Chemcam analyzes Shores instead, no matter where I'm firing it. I've tried to target any zone on the runway, tried to drive around - no result. That was the first contract I've aborted.

Same here. No runway or launchpad readings. Also, the contracts offered are almost nothing but chemcam offers and they seem to be crowding out other types of contracts available. Great mod, btw. One of my favorites. :)

Edited by Moby

Also, it would be nice if "Analyze surface of planet" contracts would follow your exploration progress. I didn't even flew to the Mun yet (yes, I'm slow. But what the hell, one carefully engineered testing flight yields about 1000 Science!), but I'm getting contracts to analyze surface of Tylo.

Same here. No runway or launchpad readings. Also, the contracts offered are almost nothing but chemcam offers and they seem to be crowding out other types of contracts available. Great mod, btw. One of my favorites. :)

I'll look into the runway and Launchpad stuff, there may be some specific checks that need to be done for these biomes. I'm not sure why so many contracts get generated for the ChemCam, the contracts are not actually spawned by TST, they get generated by KSP internally so I haven't got much control over it, you basically just supply a true/false as to whether a generated contract should be offered and currently this is based off whether the ChemCam has been unlocked, so I might need to do something a bit more sophisticated.

Also, it would be nice if "Analyze surface of planet" contracts would follow your exploration progress. I didn't even flew to the Mun yet (yes, I'm slow. But what the hell, one carefully engineered testing flight yields about 1000 Science!), but I'm getting contracts to analyze surface of Tylo.

Currently the ChemCam contracts do not have any progress implemented, the space telescope goes through a specific order of planets that need to be photographed, but for the ChemCam I didn't think this was a good idea as it doesn't work very well with biomes (it's hard to make it decide if going to Duna is harder than going to a specific biome on the Mun for example) and keeping a list of all biomes is not very easy to manage when Squad update the game. I'll look at and making some use of the built in KSP progress tracker to limit the range of planets it will try and generate contracts for.

Thanks for the reply. I have another bug as well. I removed the ChemCam folder from the gamedata to stop the contract spam, and now I have noticed I am not getting the 'contract completed' signal in the top right (the flashing green with the number one under it). I did a clean install, added just this mod (the whole thing) and it works fine. But again, when I remove the chemcam folder it stops working. not sure why.

I confirm contract spam issue, that made me to remove the mod until it's fixed.

Also, there is a balance problem with "Take picture" contracts: after you took photos of all planets, these contracts can spawn again, basically giving you free science.

Thanks for the reply. I have another bug as well. I removed the ChemCam folder from the gamedata to stop the contract spam, and now I have noticed I am not getting the 'contract completed' signal in the top right (the flashing green with the number one under it). I did a clean install, added just this mod (the whole thing) and it works fine. But again, when I remove the chemcam folder it stops working. not sure why.

Removing the ChemCam folder will not disable ChemCam contracts. The TST parts all share a single dll file which does all of the contracts stuff, if you delete the part you'll get lots of errors because it is looking for a part called ChemCam but it can't find it.

I confirm contract spam issue, that made me to remove the mod until it's fixed.

Also, there is a balance problem with "Take picture" contracts: after you took photos of all planets, these contracts can spawn again, basically giving you free science.

I'll do a quick release when I get home tonight to disable ChemCam contracts until I can fix this properly.

As for the balance issue, I'm not sure why this gives you "free science", the telescope can take pictures of planets regardless of contracts and get science that way? Are you saying that the science that is awarded for contract completion is too high?

I'll do a quick release when I get home tonight to disable ChemCam contracts until I can fix this properly.

As for the balance issue, I'm not sure why this gives you "free science", the telescope can take pictures of planets regardless of contracts and get science that way? Are you saying that the science that is awarded for contract completion is too high?

Science that you get from transmission\recovery data from telescope is "one-shot", which means you won't get any more science when you take another picture of that planet. Contracts currently can be repeated, and they will give you the same amount of science every time you complete them (and in case of distant planets, that's a big science). My thoughts is:

- Lower the science gain from the contracts and from the experiment. Maybe contracts should give more money (will help if you plan something big late in game)

- Lower the zoom value on "basic" telescope, so it could be used only for Duna or Eve observations when these planets in nearest position to Kerbin. That will put some value in advanced telescope (it's pretty useless now)

Ok, 4.3 Beta is awaiting approval on Curse, the contract generation for the ChemCam is now much better and certainly shouldn't spam your folder (if you have a save that has been spammed just use alt+f12 select contracts then tools and clear the current contracts). I've also fixed the biome detection so it should detect if you're at the Launchpad/runway.

Sorry that the contracts stuff has so many bugs at the moment, I only have a short period of time every day when I'm able to work on this and testing these features takes time. Many thanks to all those who have tested and given feedback. Hopefully I can get these few bugs ironed out and start working on the next big feature I have planned :)

I'm having a different ChemCam issue (think it's chemcam, anyway-seems to be the common thing among vessels having the problem): my vessles seem to float out of the correct POV, like the center of mass is leaving the ship. Very annoying, and it screws Mechjeb up. Anyone else had this problem? I had the same problem awhile back with Lionhead Aerospace vessels.

EDIT: Definitely ChemCam. Every time the issue occurs, the ChemCam parts vanishes off the vessel, and everything doesn't go back to normal until it's in warp.

Edited by physicsnerd

I'm having a different ChemCam issue (think it's chemcam, anyway-seems to be the common thing among vessels having the problem): my vessles seem to float out of the correct POV, like the center of mass is leaving the ship. Very annoying, and it screws Mechjeb up. Anyone else had this problem? I had the same problem awhile back with Lionhead Aerospace vessels.

EDIT: Definitely ChemCam. Every time the issue occurs, the ChemCam parts vanishes off the vessel, and everything doesn't go back to normal until it's in warp.

I definitly have the same issue. After sending up a bunch of rockets, it turns out the ChemCam was responsible. I however never made it to orbit, the camera floated about 1km behind the rocket at 60km. Mechjeb never had a chance to circularize my orbit ;).

Had something strange happen as I tested out the regular Tarsier Space Telescope. I was taking a bunch of pictures of various planets and then transmitting the science data, and each time I would click transmit it would attempt to transmit every picture I had collected so far. So, when I clicked transmit for Kerbin, it sent that; when I clicked send for the Eve picture I took next, it re-sent the original Kerbin picture (for the remaining 2 or 8 or however little science before the transmit cap), then the Eve, etc. This seemed to go on indefinitely - I wound up killing my batteries as I tried to send 6 pictures in a row. I didn't notice anything strange in my logs other than a ton of "Parsing string" "Parsing bool" "Parsing rect", but let me know if that would be helpful for you. I'm running 32bit KSP with a pile of other mods.

I have a different problem. The fine controls I,k,j,l don't work on the telescopes or the chem cam. Tried turning rcs on, off. Various other things... Nothing in the log anywhere that I can find.

Ok I did some more testing... seems to be something to do with having two craft joined and detaching.

So I have a lifter - delivery vehicle with rover attached below it using a decoupler.

When the vehicle loads I see this in the log:

[LOG 07:08:30.660] [TST]: Starting ChemCam

[LOG 07:08:30.663] [TST]: Adding Lazer

[LOG 07:08:30.664] [TST]: Finding Camera Transforms

[LOG 07:08:30.667] [TST]: Finding Animation Object

[LOG 07:08:30.668] [TST]: Adding Input Callback

[LOG 07:08:30.669] [TST]: Added Input Callback

[LOG 07:08:30.744] [TST]: Setting up cameras

[LOG 07:08:30.745] [TST]: Setting Up Render Texture

[LOG 07:08:30.747] [TST]: Finish Setting Up Render Texture

[LOG 07:08:30.749] [TST]: Camera setup complete

If I use the chemcam and controls before detaching all works...

soon as I detach the rover and switch to it.. nothing...

Noticed the above does not appear in the log again after I detach or switch vehicles.

Edited by JPLRepo

I have a different problem. The fine controls I,k,j,l don't work on the telescopes or the chem cam. Tried turning rcs on, off. Various other things... Nothing in the log anywhere that I can find.

Ok I did some more testing... seems to be something to do with having two craft joined and detaching.

So I have a lifter - delivery vehicle with rover attached below it using a decoupler.

When the vehicle loads I see this in the log:

[LOG 07:08:30.660] [TST]: Starting ChemCam

[LOG 07:08:30.663] [TST]: Adding Lazer

[LOG 07:08:30.664] [TST]: Finding Camera Transforms

[LOG 07:08:30.667] [TST]: Finding Animation Object

[LOG 07:08:30.668] [TST]: Adding Input Callback

[LOG 07:08:30.669] [TST]: Added Input Callback

[LOG 07:08:30.744] [TST]: Setting up cameras

[LOG 07:08:30.745] [TST]: Setting Up Render Texture

[LOG 07:08:30.747] [TST]: Finish Setting Up Render Texture

[LOG 07:08:30.749] [TST]: Camera setup complete

If I use the chemcam and controls before detaching all works...

soon as I detach the rover and switch to it.. nothing...

Noticed the above does not appear in the log again after I detach or switch vehicles.

Ah I see, it looks as though the event listener for i,j,k,l is bound to the vessel, I should be able to fix that pretty easily. I'm away from my PC for the weekend but will try and fix it soon.

@Wiseman,

I don't see why that should be happening if there is no error, I would need to see the log, (all of the parsing rect/bool stuff is just some other mod) if you upload it just send me a PM and I'll have a look.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.