[v0.24] Tarsier Space Technology (v4.5c Now with GALAXIES!!!)

tobyb121

Will you some capability to move telescope around without moving whole craft?

Also, images from telescope woudl look better with skybox background.

Moving the telescope independently is something I may try, though I'm not convinced it will work very well.

The backgrounds of the images do have the skybox behind them, the skybox just isn't a high enough resolution to be able to see anything. You might get a slightly better effect if you used one of the 8k (I think) Universe Replacer skyboxes, but really it would need to be procedurally generated to get the required detail at such high zoom.

As an aside I would really appreciate if a mac and/or Linux user wouldn't mind testing the latest version. I've embedded some images directly into the dll (for cleanliness) and I wanted to check that this works on those OSes.

I've just uploaded a build that has compatibility with the Visual Enhancements Mod (city lights and clouds). I'll try and keep it updated, but it won't be a priority to maintain compatibility.

Thanks alot for that compatibility version. The VisualEnhancements dev is updating fairly often. There's been an update in the last 48hrs !

I play ksp on debina tesing with this mod ervything seems to be okay.

I have to sugestions:

a fine control to rotate the telekop it self would be very nice

why get i less sciencepoints when transmitting the picture?

I play ksp on debina tesing with this mod ervything seems to be okay.

I have to sugestions:

a fine control to rotate the telekop it self would be very nice

why get i less sciencepoints when transmitting the picture?

Fine control is on its way, I've got a few ideas on how it could be implemented.

You get less points for transmitting with all science experiments, it helps keep the game balanced, if you don't like it you can turn it off in the part.cfg under xmitdatascalar (set it to 1).

Awesome mod, but i can't seem to use the science lab with it (i can't make the experiments get processed)

I haven't enabled any science lab functionality for 2 reasons:

1. I don't think it makes much sense for a kerbal to be able to improve the amount of science in the pictures by processing them in a lab.

2. I don't get how Squad have implemented the science labs, it seems quite complicated.

an idea for transmitting the pictures and the amount of science you get from them.

Rather then giving less for sending a picture how about giving more science for higher resolution images and less for low resolution?

High resolution would require more energy and time to transmit but gives the scientists on the ground more information. however if you send a low res image you get less science for less use of resources and time.

For me it makes no sense that you would get less science for the same image if you send it from space or you copy it from the drive after the craft lands.

I'm loving this mod so far and I'll keep my eye on it :)

Keep up the good work and thank you!

How do you get the science? When taking a picture, nothing happens. I'm not sure if there is any prerequisite I might be missing.

I have launched the telescope to orbit and have been testing with the moon. I didn't add a hard drive though...

By the way. Loving where this is going!

Ok thank you. I'll try reinstalling then, as I'm not getting anything. The telescope view shows, and I can zoom in and out without problems, but the take picture button plainly does nothing.

:) federicoaa's post was a suggestion on what should happen, not what currently is implemented. When you take a picture and science data is collected you can access it by right clicking on the part and clicking Review Data, if that button isn't there first try closing and opening the right click menu (it doesn't seem to refresh properly on its own) otherwise there could be some other issues, in which case please could you send me your ksp.log file.

I'll have it give some feedback in the next version as to what it has actually collected science for

Edited by tobyb121

:) federicoaa's post was a suggestion on what should happen, not what currently is implemented. When you take a picture and science data is collected you can access it by right clicking on the part and clicking Review Data, if that button isn't there first try closing and opening the right click menu (it doesn't seem to refresh properly on its own) otherwise there could be some other issues, in which case please could you send me your ksp.log file.

I'll have it give some feedback in the next version as to what it has actually collected science for

Thanks tobyb,

I'm not getting the science window nor the review data button on the telescope at all. I did find this in the log:

[LOG 13:12:45.838] [CHATR] GUI styles set
[LOG 13:12:46.251] Unpacking DL Scope I
[ERR 13:13:20.730] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id TarsierSpaceTech.SpaceTelescope
[EXC 13:13:20.731] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 13:13:38.825] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id TarsierSpaceTech.SpaceTelescope
[EXC 13:13:38.826] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 13:13:56.110] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id TarsierSpaceTech.SpaceTelescope
[EXC 13:13:56.112] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

In this case I didn't have anything targeted, but in other tries I did, and didn't work either. Maybe you can get something out of this.

That seems to show that the science definitions are missing, can you check in the GameData/TarsierSpaceTech/Parts/SpaceTelescope folder that there is a file called ScienceDefs.cfg.

If not you can download it directly from here: https://raw.github.com/tobyb121/TarsierSpaceTechnology/master/PartCfgs/SpaceTelescope/ScienceDefs.cfg

That seems to show that the science definitions are missing, can you check in the GameData/TarsierSpaceTech/Parts/SpaceTelescope folder that there is a file called ScienceDefs.cfg.

If not you can download it directly from here: https://raw.github.com/tobyb121/TarsierSpaceTechnology/master/PartCfgs/SpaceTelescope/ScienceDefs.cfg

Yes, the file is there. It also seems as if all it's content is there too (exactly the same as the file you just posted). Don't want to post the contents as not to spoil the science results... The ID is also exactly the same as the one in the log. Strange...

Yes, the file is there. It also seems as if all it's content is there too (exactly the same as the file you just posted). Don't want to post the contents as not to spoil the science results... The ID is also exactly the same as the one in the log. Strange...

That is indeed quite strange. Which OS do you use? I am wondering if the Mac/Linux build are a bit more picky about where the science defs are stored.

Can you see a line like this in your log:

Config(EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION) TarsierSpaceTech/Parts/SpaceTelescope/ScienceDefs/EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION

That is indeed quite strange. Which OS do you use? I am wondering if the Mac/Linux build are a bit more picky about where the science defs are stored.

Can you see a line like this in your log:

Config(EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION) TarsierSpaceTech/Parts/SpaceTelescope/ScienceDefs/EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION

Yes, the line is there and exactly as you write it. I'm on Windows 7.

I'm not sure if it could be a conflict with another mod. I have so many that I had to use texture reductions and reduce the texture quality to 1/4th. It might actually have nothing to do with your mod, as everything seems correctly in place...

I'm going to launch the game with only your mod installed, and see what happens.

[EDIT]:

Nope. Removed all mods and started a sandbox mode. Still the same problem. Tried with a crewed pod and without.

I didn't find the error from before in the log now, but I found this:

[LOG 15:48:50.521] [Orbit Targeter]: Target is Mun
[LOG 15:48:51.248] Camera Mode: AUTO
[LOG 15:49:06.580] [Orbit Targeter]: Target is null

I tried targeting the moon, as I get a message "No target" if I spam the "Take Picture" button. But this last tests I have done them on the launch pad.

Edited by Dielos

I didn't find the error from before in the log now, but I found this:

[LOG 15:48:50.521] [Orbit Targeter]: Target is Mun
[LOG 15:48:51.248] Camera Mode: AUTO
[LOG 15:49:06.580] [Orbit Targeter]: Target is null

I tried targeting the moon, as I get a message "No target" if I spam the "Take Picture" button. But this last tests I have done them on the launch pad.

The log message is just showing that you targeted the Mun, switched back to normal view and then when you double click it un targets the mun (KSP doesn't differentiate between double clicking on empty sky and double clicking on a button in the GUI).

I'll have a look through some stuff, but I'm not sure what would be causing the problem and I can't recreate the problem myself. If I can't get anything working I'll send you a special debug build of the plugin that spits out loads of extra info into the log.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.