[v0.24] Tarsier Space Technology (v4.5c Now with GALAXIES!!!)

tobyb121

Folder layout needs to be cleaned up a bit. Currently when uncompressed it puts the Parts folder and the .dll directly into the GameData folder. I changed this for myself because its a pet peev of mine.

Sorry about that, it should have gone into a separate folder but I made a small mistake when preparing the zip. I've re-uploaded with the correct folder structure :)

I think, from memory, that objects get unloaded at 2 km, you should be able to see anything within this range but any further and you are right they will be unloaded (plus trying to focus on them from any further will be tricky).

darn, i was kind of hoping to read that it would be able to resolve crafts... it would be awesome if this was a possibility!

and yeah, i think it's around 2.1km, to be slightly more precise. discovered this when i built a positively huge (~900m) orbiting power station, only to be confused about where it was when i was going to dock with it, until suddenly BAM it was looming over me.

tobyb121 can you make some small like pistons in the telescope so it won't be so hard to make it look on Duna or even Eeloo?

The most recent version has fine control if you use the servos, turn off RCS and then use i,j,k,l, this should allow you to have much better control of the telescope at high zoom

Lots of love for this mod both the scope and the HDDs.

Edit:

Nope. No bugs. Just me being silly. Figured out how it works and am now like 300% more in love with this mod. It's super awesome!

Thanks again!

Edited by 4KbShort
Non-issue

Hi there..

Loving the telescope, but I'm at a loss as what the hard drive is for? How do you use it? When would you use the hard drive as opposed to storing the experiment in your command pod? Thanks..

The command pods couldn't store science in the previous KSP version, so the hard drives were needed then. In this version they are certainly less useful, but they have the advantage that you don't need to EVA your kerbal, saving time, and can also be used for un-manned missions

Does the science defines file from this conflict with the large public science defines project?

No, the ScienceDefs for the telescope is stored in the TarsierSpaceTech folder, the main ScienceDefs file is left untouched and both get loaded in when the game starts.

Hi there..

Loving the telescope, but I'm at a loss as what the hard drive is for? How do you use it? When would you use the hard drive as opposed to storing the experiment in your command pod? Thanks..

Reasons for me:

1) Unmanned missions during which I can left spare science part and return only the core of the probe, saving dV that way.

2) Most of experiments won't give full science with one measurement, I take 1 Maned pod and hard drive for storing two measurements.

But for my the second point was good except the mass of the hard drivers, so I went to config and decreased it to the level I think It would be profitable to take hard drive instead of another material bay.

The command pods couldn't store science in the previous KSP version, so the hard drives were needed then. In this version they are certainly less useful, but they have the advantage that you don't need to EVA your kerbal, saving time, and can also be used for un-manned missions

Ahh, this makes sense.. I actually haven't done many unmanned missions, which is why it didn't occur to me! (I enjoy the thrill of danger to my Kerbins! :)

Reasons for me:

1) Unmanned missions during which I can left spare science part and return only the core of the probe, saving dV that way.

2) Most of experiments won't give full science with one measurement, I take 1 Maned pod and hard drive for storing two measurements.

But for my the second point was good except the mass of the hard drivers, so I went to config and decreased it to the level I think It would be profitable to take hard drive instead of another material bay.

Huh.. some more great uses! I like the idea of saving dV.. and hard drives to take multiple measurements instead of multiple bays. Thanks to you both for some excellent suggestions!

One thing.. how does the data corruption play in? is it just a flat percentage loss? ie. 0.1 is 10% loss of data value?

i think it makes no sense why the telescope not has 100% science transmission. i never heard about missions to hubble for bringing photos back home :D

space telescopes are made to transmit full data to the surface, so please set the transmission value up to 100%

i think it makes no sense why the telescope not has 100% science transmission. i never heard about missions to hubble for bringing photos back home :D

space telescopes are made to transmit full data to the surface, so please set the transmission value up to 100%

It's a game, reward needs to relate to effort. It is harder to do a rendezvouz and return mission than a data transmission so the science return needs to be bigger else nobody will bother.

Say we made transmissions 100%. People would launch their telescope, snap a picture of every body and they would never use the telescope ever again outside aesthetic purposes.

One thing I'd like to see is a much larger telescope that can only unfold while landed. With different bodies giving different science multipliers. Kerbin, Laythe and Eve have an atmosphere, so a telescope on those would give little science because the atmosphere degrades image quality. The mun is baked in rather extreme temperature differences so the constant thermal stress would ruin your images, they'd still be better than Kerbin though.

Cold objects without atmosphere and a stable surface would be the best for such a telescope. So Eeloo and Tylo would be good candidates to give the best science. This should give the scope a much longer shelf life.

yeah, sure, but then lets make another difficulty. maybe every use generates random damage and with damage increases the loss. so you need EVAs for maintain or repair, if the damage gets to high.

i think damage by use is a more logical way than mysteryous data losses :D

from my point: a space telescope that can't transmit full data of it's observation is for me technically broken.

Edited by acc

One thing.. how does the data corruption play in? is it just a flat percentage loss? ie. 0.1 is 10% loss of data value?

That's it exactly

@acc, the idea of the data transmission losing science is to try and keep some balance in the game. Most of the squad parts have similar penalties for transmitting data. It's not a realism thing it's a game thing, making it more of a challenge. If you want to turn off data loss feel free to change the part.cfg, just change

xmitDataScalar = 0.5

to 1

That's it exactly

@acc, the idea of the data transmission losing science is to try and keep some balance in the game. Most of the squad parts have similar penalties for transmitting data. It's not a realism thing it's a game thing, making it more of a challenge. If you want to turn off data loss feel free to change the part.cfg, just change

xmitDataScalar = 0.5

to 1

Thanks, i know. For my personally use i already changed it :)

Was just a suggestion to keep the balance, but on a more logical way, because realism (to a degree) is fun too.

Maybe it's just me, but i get really fast boring on unlogical stuff.

I don't actually want any part of this mod (though the telescope looks excellent!) except the "collect all" option the drives have. Is there a way to modify all pods to have this capability but keep their infinite storage?

I'm trying to simplify my current process of:

1. Hit my action group to take science readings on all science instruments.
  2. EVA my Kerbal
  3. Right click on each instrument and take the data.*
  4. Get back in the pod

To:

1. Hit my action group to take science readings on all science instruments.
  2. Right click the pod and "store all experiments."

I already have ModManager installed and have assigned Kerbal Engineer to all pods, could that work with this too and what do I need, and what can I leave out? I don't want any option of data corruption nor do I want any "extra" science or anything. I just want to circumvent the need to EVA my guy and right click a half dozen times in each biome.

*There's an optional substep here: Accidentally "grab" it because all the parts are attachable when you have KAS installed, and then put it back.

Looks like you would just have to add

MODULE

{

name = ScienceHardDrive

Capacity = 80

corruption = 0.1

powerUsage = 1.0

}

}

for the hard drive and if you wanted looks like you could add the Telescope to a pod to by adding

MODULE

{

name = SpaceTelescope

maxZoom = 5

xmitDataScalar = 0.5

}

just edit the 1 you for adding Kerbal Engineer to all pods.

I tried it, and while it "worked" in that it added a drive to my pod it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. It lets me store goo and Jr data (I was trying it in a new save and didn't bother getting all the way up to other stuff but I assume it would work for that as well) but it wouldn't grab crew reports or other things stored in the pod (possibly because it won't take from itself?). Granted, you generally transmit crew and eva reports anyway but still. It was slightly clunky. I may give it a try in my actual career mode.

Amusingly, the default capacity is 50 (I left it off) and I was able to fill the drive up to 120%. I set corruption and powerusage to 0 like so:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]] {
MODULE {
name = ScienceHardDrive
corruption = 0.0
powerUsage = 0.0
}
}

I think I'll add a huge capacity just in case that freaks out. Maybe:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]] {
MODULE {
name = ScienceHardDrive
Capacity = 1000000
corruption = 0.0
powerUsage = 0.0
}
}

What MeCripp suggested was correct, but it won't take data from the same part that it is stored in, if you really want this functionality why not just add the small hard drive and bump the capacity up.

The drive being overfilled was a small bug that will be fixed for the next release.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.