Shuttle thread

kola2DONO

I'll re-post here for some more coverage, why not?

The New Space Shuttle 4.0 Cargo

Javascript is disabled. View full album

http://www./download/t6awt645dlyri9c/Space+Shuttle+4_0+Cargo.craft

The Old Space Shuttle 2.0 (crew only)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

http://www./download/s0fexh2q7bzphio/Space+Shuttle+2_0.craft

MANUAL; A MUST READ!

FLY IT LIKE YOU SAW ON TV/YOUTUBE.

DO NOT TINKER WITH THE DESIGN, YOU WILL MAKE A MESS.

ALWAYS USE SUBASSEMBLY TO PAYLOAD, DO NOT BUILD A PAYLOAD WHICH IS LARGER THAN THE BAY.

PAYLOADS GO IN UPSIDE DOWN ON THE DOCKING PORT JR.

USE THE ACTION GROUPS AND DO NOT BE DISAPPOINTED IF YOU FAIL TO USE THEM!

THERE IS SOME EXTRA FUEL IN THE TANK UNDER THE DOCKING PORT (Shuttle 4.0)/ON THE NOSE(2.0)

ACTION GROUPS:

PRESS 1: TO DETACH THE LIQUID ROCKET BOOSTERS BEFORE THEY OVERPOWER THE SHUTTLE ENGINES

*This is unavoidable, I wish I could fix it

PRESS 2: TO TURN OFF THE SHUTTLE MAIN ENGINES BEFORE ORBITAL MANOEUVRES

*The shuttle main engines are designed to be used only when the external tank is attached, if you use them when you have staged the external tank you will spin in space at high speeds

NOTE: VAB folder, not SPH

I'm not sure if this counts, as it doesn't mimic the real shuttle, but here's my experimental shuttle from 0.21/0.22.

9HgKk0Rh.png

one of the first versions of the shuttle

It was meant to be the big brother to the the LCLS.But when tweakables were announced for 0.23, I lost my motivation on the project. It needed a major wing redesign anyway.

The furthest I was able to push it was on a Munar free return trajectory.

pwYNfg5h.png

Most of my screenshots were too dark so I only have a couple more decent pics.

Engine arrangement

Orbital insertion

I am not sure if this thread is limited to stock, but I am going to submit anyway

Behold! The K.S.S Zephyr!

http://imgur.com/a/1RxWu

With this shuttle I decided to flip the normal placement of the engines and have the angled engines on the orange fuel tank. This lets the shuttle fly with more control during re-entry if it has any fuel left. I am also planning on replacing the docking node inside the bay with a hinged one that will allow it to rotate out of the bay and dock to my space station (as soon as damned robotics or a similar mod is updated).

I used the B9 pack to make the shuttle and have Ferram Aerospace and Deadly Re-entry installed. It handles exceptionally well when the bay is empty, but has some trouble with too much mass on board. During re-entry it needs to slow down high up in the atmosphere before becoming descending or else the RCS tanks and the landing gear will burn off.

I think shuttles don't have to be inspired by the actual Space Shuttle but can be small ships used to shuttle Kerbals to orbit and space stations and back again.

Yeah, i'm thinking the same.

All my shuttles don't look anything like the real one.

I made a pretty good 1.25 meter NASA/Buran style shuttle in .21. Might have to look for those screenshots...

Nope.;.; I geuss i didnt know better than to take a screenshot or save the .craft file before I deleted the savegame. might have to remake it someday.

You know, I did sort of create a shuttle, albeit an SSTO shuttle...

Going the completely opposite direction of what I usually build, I present the "Endeavour" Class Cargo SSTO Spaceplane Mk. V.

1520642_10152105638281815_655673493_n.jpg

Affectionately dubbed "Fat Bertha", she was designed to transfer crew between the space centre and orbiting stations in a single stage, and thanks to her new cargo bay, can carry station parts and payloads up to orbit.

1546043_10152105634966815_886140454_n.jpg

1511158_10152105640716815_856716692_n.jpg

This shot shows it's final orbital delta-v statistics at an 80 km orbit more or less.

If anyone's interested, I'll put up a craft file.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.