Stop timewarp when entering new SOI (or when 10 min from a maneuver node)

Interplanetary travel takes weeks, and it would be nice to avoid overshooting certain destinations accidentally. I know Kerbal alarm clock exists, and implementing that into the stock game would be great, but if not then this might be a good addition. maybe also auto stop time warp 10 or so minutes prior to a set maneuver node.

Dropping out of warp for SoI changes and maneuver nodes makes a lot of sense. In both situations you'll want to drop out of warp more often than not. Ten minutes for maneuver node is a bit long though. You have to timewarp a while after that, to get to the maneuver node, and that might make you overshoot. One minute or thirty seconds should be enough for most ships to get into position for the maneuver node (if you haven't done so already).

i made a suggestion here for the stock game. i only play stock myself.

I'm aware that you were suggesting it for stock, I was just giving you a way to have the functionality today, instead of at some indeterminate time long into the future.

Contrary to some rumours out there, using MechJeb doesn't give you cooties, and there's no pentagram-bound contract in a long dead and arcane language before you get to use it. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
+1

This functionality already exists as the warp rate changes based on your altitude.

Having it drop to X1 in another condition should be fairly simple.

Not when you're using maximum time warp. You tend to go through planets and objects.

i made a suggestion here for the stock game. i only play stock myself.

Before discarding this comment, hear me out.

I suggest trying Mechjeb for 3 reasons.

1: Mechjeb is only active on vessels which you put a Mechjeb module on, so the game is still vanilla unless you tell it to be otherwise.

2: Mechjeb won't do anything to your ship unless you tell it to, and it won't display any extra information unless you ask for it.

Most important:

3: Letting Mechjeb put a rocket into orbit or transfer a ship to anther planetary plane once or twice is a great way to learn how to make more efficient burns when you are piloting your ships manually.

Disclaimer: If you have an addictive personality, there is some risk of becoming dependent on Mechjeb. Don't let yourself use it for more than tutorials until you've first learned how to do everything by hand.

*snip*

I agree with you that Mechjeb is a great way to learn. But surely as this is in the Suggestions and Development thread, the OP is suggesting this as an avenue for the development of stock KSP?

KAC is really helpful, and I recommend it. I don't think anyone will call you out as "cheating" for using an autopilot, since all KAC does is allow you to set alarms, allowing for better handling of multiple missions. It doesn't automatically set "perfect" maneuver nodes at the transfer windows, nor does it autowarp. It doesn't alter any of the physical parameters of any of your vessels, so any craft can benefit from it while still being completely made of ONLY stock parts.

I think the impression that a lot of us either use MechJeb for this or that others want it is a good reason to include something like it in the stock game.

Personally, I'd like to see a "1 step" or "2 steps" backwards on the time warp rather than a full stop - both to give someone who accidentally warped too fast a chance to recover before finding themselves in deep space (or on another unnecessary orbit), but also those people who aren't really paying attention and just went AFK at time warp. So if you're approaching an SOI at warp6, it steps down to warp4 - giving you time to do something if you need to, but still allowing you to completely ***k it up.

Maybe another one of those things to add to the options menu, so players can use it or not use depending on their preferences.

• 2 weeks later...

*snippity snip*

The problem I've noticed with Mechjeb's warp helper, is that it's slow. I've missed my Moho encounter after I warped at max speed with MJ's "Stop warp at SOI change". I was pretty much shocked to see Moho zip by while MJ was trying to reduce timewarp.

I'd suggest putting non-physical warp to 1x when pressing X. Yes, this also kills the engines but they are supposed to be off when warping anyway. I've found myself pressing X to exit warp (and, from what I've read in an earlier thread, many other people also do)

There are issues in the game engine with stopping warp all at once, IIRC. You can already do it. The time warp arrows in the top left panel are clickable. If you double-click a specific arrow, it should jump directly to that warp level, unless that was removed. I do recall there were issues dropping out of high warp quickly, though; anything over 100x had issues with spontaneous ship disassembly, so be careful with it :)

KAC is really helpful, and I recommend it. I don't think anyone will call you out as "cheating" for using an autopilot, since all KAC does is allow you to set alarms, allowing for better handling of multiple missions. It doesn't automatically set "perfect" maneuver nodes at the transfer windows, nor does it autowarp. It doesn't alter any of the physical parameters of any of your vessels, so any craft can benefit from it while still being completely made of ONLY stock parts.

Second this. My save game became paralysis before KAC, as I tended to make use of launch windows as they came up, I began to owe track of my missions, especially when multiple ones needed attention within a short timespan.

KAC saved my space programme! Something like it definitely needs to be in the stock game.

back on topic:

Ten minutes for maneuver node is a bit long though.
...at such high warp, you're already past the dewarp boundary before the game notices.

Exactly. So depending on timewarp factor and speed of the craft, dropping out of timewarp 10 minutes before SOI change or node might not be enough.

Just dropping out of timewarp 10 minutes before might work if the timewarp factor is low to begin with, but will overshoot at high timewarp. So the solution would be to reduce timewarp in steps, just as it does with altitude/distance. However i think that needs a little work first, because with the current implementation it is entirely possible to overshoot the target (which as far as i know it is supposed to prevent).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.