Can a person having hieght phobia join space programme?

patriajase

I'd imagine that would depend on whether or not you could control it. I know a person who was a B-52 pilot for several years that was afraid of heights.

If you are afraid of heights and want to join a space program, I'd start working on getting over that now.

I wouldn't worry about it, your chances of being picked to fly into space are so small it would probably require scientific notation to express them in mathematical terms.

I always wanted to join the Hells Angels MC but that didn't happen either. Many are called, but few are chosen :D

Being afraid of heights is perfectly normal and varies in intensity for various people. You can modify that fear by building up confidence and you can even become a pilot.

Having a phobia, that's a completely different thing. Phobias and fears aren't the same thing, and people abuse such terms because everyone is an armchair physchiatrist these days and various instant TV shows seem to exploit it.

If you have a phobia, you will not be able to solve it on your own because it's a serious illness. You need pills and professional help to bring it under control.

If blood makes someone sick, he can become a doctor. Not all doctors deal with bloody stuff. In fact, most of them don't.

You need alot of other stuff to become an astronaut as well :D

I looked into it and my lack of education alone rules me out for space work (im not uneducated. I just dont have the stuff they are looking for and I'm not going back to university!) They also need you to be a specific height and age. Physically and mentally capable. (i expect the mental assessments are harder than the physical ones!)

Also. This is a bit of an odd first post.

Your best bet is to look at your regions space program (for me its ESA) website. It should tell you what you need to be and have

Hmm I am a little scared of falling when on high peaks(I'm scared on riding on someone's shoulders), but I am still in school and have a b in physics and maths and I already know a lot about space. I am also quite short but not incredibly short so I will fit into suits and pods. My IQ is higher than average so I might have good chances of being an astronaut someday. Just don't dream.Do. That is my advice.

Also they need good English, which might not be your strong side according to the name of the thread, so do practice English, it is the key to your future.

Fear of heights is not the same as the fear of flying. I believe you could actually pass the test, as long as you weren't afraid of flying.

I, for example, absolutely despise high places. There's no way I would go anywhere near the windows at the top floors of a skyscraper. But as for flying, I love it! Every time I strap myself to the seat of an airplane, I get this strange but very satisfying feeling of safety, almost like I've become one with the machine.

Do a ton of stuff that confronts your fear of heights. Rock climbing would be good because it makes you fitter and stronger.

This goes without saying: only do something to overcome your fear if it is safe to do so. For example, do not decide you are going to climb a 200ft cliff without a rope, instruction, or, at the very least, someone else to call for help if you get hurt.

Also, NEVER run away from a situation that frightens you unless you are in immanent danger. I made that mistake too many times trying to overcome a fear of spiders. Took me 8 years to get over it.

I have a fear of heights (though hardly a severe one), and I've been learning to fly ultralights. The first few time up were somewhat scary; but familiarity, and being busy learning something hard, took care of that pretty quick. I'm still usually a bit anxious when I first take off.

I'd say if it's the kind of fear you can control, then It wouldn't be a problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.