Wuff Pack, of parts

Wolfius

(Update: Working download link, symmetry, reversed multichutemount added)

Just a few things I\'ve thrown together. Someone asked for a part on another forum, so I figured I\'d upload what I had.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21490812/WuffMod02.rar

Here we have a canister panel sized for Sunday Punch\'s 3-meter adapters. And yes, that\'s a twin stack of radial decouplers on them, the second one being there as a spacer as I want to maximise internal volume.

r8as7a.jpg

This pic features the larget panels, which come in tall and short(not shown) sizes, as well as end caps sized to fit Sunday Brunch\'s 3-meter parts. Also shown is my first mod part, the multi-parachute adaptor.

jgh93p.jpg

The files are a bit sloppy and the textures are a sad joke, but they all work.

The panels are a pretty cool idea, but my favorite piece is the quad-parachute adapter. Very neat ideas!

:D

Thanks.

I actually made the multi-'chute adaptor as part of a series of rockets culminating in the Apogee I Heavy Lander

n4y42r.jpg

:D

...the less said about my attempts to land a rocket on it's side, to make use of a pair of ski parts I threw together*, the better. :D

*(the ski part isn't in the pack)

Thanks, this is a very nice package with some fresh ideas.

Questions, or perhaps suggestions:

Could you make the payload fairing more like an actual fairing - as in, tapered towards a point or atleast a 3 meter radius launcher, so that you can actually encapsulate something and arent left with a big white cone on top of what you hid that you cant get rid off?

Also, Perhaps make it in 2 pieces? Would greatly reduce the work needed and is more realistic as well.

This might make them fit better as well, less parts to fiddle around with.

The quad- parachutes are marvelous! A 2- version might have its uses aswell.

also, Since there are very small liquid engines around now, perhaps an even smaller fairing? for service stages, small booster stages, minisats etc.

Thanks again!

Would it be possible to turn the chute adapter upside down, could make that into a lander strut.

Probably just take a minute, and most of that swapping connection point values in notepad. Mesh work is crazy-simple compared to messing around with config settings and testing the results - here it'll mostly just be drag-select, combine, throw a minus into the Y value for the two meshes, and export.

I'll add it when I next work on this stuff.

Thanks, this is a very nice package with some fresh ideas.

Thanks!

It's feedback that provides alot of the incentive to continue with stuff like this.

Could you make the payload fairing more like an actual fairing - as in, tapered towards a point or atleast a 3 meter radius launcher, so that you can actually encapsulate something and arent left with a big white cone on top of what you hid that you cant get rid off?

I'm not exactly sure what you're after here. You can stick the cap on a decoupler and it'll eject fine. The little one just didn't clear in the screen shot because the sequence bugged and it fired at the same time as the lower one, which shoved the payload against the top.

...tho it means the small one can't fit a parachute normally, as my multi-chute adaptor won't fit inside.

Hurm, maybe if I...

(I could probably make one with an partial collision mesh to 'cheat' around it, tho, if you want)

Also, Perhaps make it in 2 pieces? Would greatly reduce the work needed and is more realistic as well.

This might make them fit better as well, less parts to fiddle around with.

That had been my original idea, but as Jack said, the way collision meshes work right now it's impossible. A more open interior could only be done by breaking it down further into more parts.

I have found a new use for your quad- parachute system!

Too bad the attachment points are taken then, so I cant add parachutes on top of them.

still makes a nice and stable platform!

Spiffy. Nice to see people enjoying my work.

I'm not exactly sure what you're after here. You can stick the cap on a decoupler and it'll eject fine. The little one just didn't clear in the screen shot because the sequence bugged and it fired at the same time as the lower one, which shoved the payload against the top.

...tho it means the small one can't fit a parachute normally, as my multi-chute adaptor won't fit inside.

Yes indeed, you can stick the cap on a decoupler and it'll be fine. The problem is however that what was below that decoupler ( and in the fairing ) is lost then. In your screenshot the command module is inside it. Say I want it above the fairing, with for example and upper stage inside it. I want to launch, pop open the fairing, ignite the upper stage and fly away. All of this, with the command module sticking above it all and with escape capabilities.

The attached picture tries to explain this.

I want to pop the seperator 1, have everything fall away except the blue and green stages.

Perhaps remove the hit detection for the sloped edges of the fairing, if such a thing is possible...

The blue stage could be a satellite, or a big fuel tank, or something else unaerodynamical, or perhaps even some added boosters inside the fairing...

That way, when the fairing falls away, you have a nice slim figure, and what was on top before will still say on top.

perhaps a version without the bottom slope as well, to make it fit nicely on the big stage.

note : I have not educated my self enough to know if any of this is possible ;D

Perhaps a better aproach is like the decoupler from

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=537.0

Just a bit wider, and of course, here, on a bigger 3 or 5 meter scale.

Basically the fairing is a decoupler with an oversized outer wall, without collosion detection. Then a slope, towards a nice point, if at all possible...

There would need to be fairings of diffirent heights, of course. Some for 3 modules, some for 4, etc etc.

boy, I sure give a nice request list for a few days work ;D

note : I have not educated my self enough to know if any of this is possible ;D

Readily possible. What you see and what the game uses for collision detection are two different meshes in the same file.

The trick is figuring out a sufficently neat way to pull it off. If I wanted to be cheap about it, it'd be crazy-simple.

I've got a few ideas, tho. Without cheating. :)

Anyway, just finished testing the reversed multi-chute adaptor.

Wolfius, could you make a few more versions of the multi-chute adapter? A 2, 3, 5, 6 and 8 version would be nice, as with ones with two attachment points (One on the bottom, one on the top.) and possibly a 'fat' diameter one (1m) to fit between stages.

I love being able to recover some of the heavy stages with the current one.

...and possibly a 'fat' diameter one (1m) to fit between stages.

I love being able to recover some of the heavy stages with the current one.

This! being able to put chutes between any given stage would be quite handy.

This! being able to put chutes between any given stage would be quite handy.

Rather, what about a decoupling parachute? Could it be made to decouple AND deploy a chute? Obviously, a traditional chute under a decoupler would still be under the decoupler and wouldn't deploy probably (rather, it probably would, though it shouldn't) and a chute above a decoupler wouldn't be detached. Combined into one, it would be amazing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.