Scientician Kerbinauts

I have been watching the From Earth to the Moon series, and one of the great episodes covered the geological side of the Apollo missions. What struck me was how fascinating but so often overlooked it was, and just how important it was to have people on the surface who knew what they were doing from a geological sense.

So the thought struck me; why not have kerbinauts with different skill sets. For example a Kerb can do everything, but he can only be good at one thing. One may a good pilot and offer sas benefits (being able to more effectively pilot unbalanced craft). Another may be a skilled rover driver and engineer (less flipping and can do field repairs) and finally one is able to recover more science points but is essentially terrible at the other things.

At least this way there is a point to taking 3 kerb capsules rather than just self-imposed rules.

Certainly infinitely more interesting than just have stupidity and courage stats when deciding who to hire.

Also it wouldn't be a horrible idea to have multiple mission kerbs will grow skills in all three areas. Making them more valuable and worth bringing home rather than leaving them stranded.

Edited by FlamedSteak

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.