[0.23] Alternis Kerbol - Release thread - [v0.1, Jan. 3] (development halted)

NovaSilisko

Please notice, Alternis is no longer under development by me. I will not preclude the possibility of another author taking it over, but for now it is in stasis, and not updated for recent versions.

8sqha97.png

Alternis, God of Change and Difference decided to smite the hell out of the Kerbals' home solar system, and this is what happened.

Alternis Kerbol is a mod that grabs and re-arranges the existing solar system bodies to create something new. Most bodies have been changed in some way, large or small. Also, comets. Current list of changes:

• Jool: Moved to Kerbin's original orbital position, blu-ified, ships overheat before they can reach the "surface"
  • Kerbin: Now orbits Jool at the same point Tylo used to
  • Laythe: Redone entirely, now a jungle moon with varied terrain, more land, and, eventually, alien trees (panspermia's a hell of a thing)
  • Minmus: Orbits Jool beneath Laythe, now 29km in radius (from 60), and deep reddish orange
  • Tylo: orbits the sun a bit past Duna's original orbit, radius increased to 1103 km and surface gravity is 4g, plus an atmosphere 50% the density of Kerbin's.
  • Duna: Orbits Tylo, completely new terrain
  • Eve: Atmospheric density reduced a little, but scale height increased
  • Moho: Orbit moved inward and made more eccentric
  • Gilly: Small comet, shrunk to 8.5km radius
  • Ike: Fat comet, shrunk to 17.5km radius
  • Mun: Relocated to Jool orbit, replacing Vall, enlaged to 253km radius
  • Vall: Now orbits Eeloo, shrunk to 99.8 km radius
  • Eeloo: Moved outward, increased to ~500 km radius, less eccentric and inclined orbit
  • Dres: First moon of Tylo
  • Sun: Mesh scaled up to actually match its radius, shrunken to be less crazy huge
  • Lighting: Ambient light now nonexistent in space, dimmer on planet surfaces. Sun is slightly reddish-yellow. Atmosphere colors tweaked to simulate the effect of a slightly redder sun.
  • General: Most orbits have at least some inclination and eccentricity now, as opposed to being perfect circles like the Kerbin system
  • Timewarp: All body timewarp limits now follow one universal rule: everything up to 10,000x is allowed below 200 km, 100,000x allowed above

Proooobably missing a few changes. There are quite a few, especially if you count minor ones...

Bonus: First person to perform a manned landing and return from the new Tylo, with Deadly Reentry installed (important!), receives not one but THREE gold stars - just have to prove you've done so. Manned landing/returns without DR are still impressive, but you only get two gold stars.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Changelog:

>>> v0.1:

-Added settings screen at the main menu, requires game restart to take effect:

- -Enable/Disable mod

- -Enable "Hyperwarp" (removes 5x warp, scoots the other settings to the left, and sticks 1,000,000x warp at the end)

- -Comet brightness

- -Relocate and shrink Bop to make it a moon of Kerbin

-Bop and Pol swapped(unless Bop's relocated)

-Laythe terrain tweaks

-Fixed vessels being thrown into solar orbit (hopefully)

-Fixed Laplace resonance of Joolian moons

-Reduced RAM usage(actually lower than the stock game now I think)

-Moho orbit tweaked

-Sun reduced in size to ~75,000 km radius, surface gravity increased to keep planet orbits the same speed

-Science value tweaks

-Code made somewhat more efficient, avoids the bug of stuff starting on the main menu running twice

-Multiple undocumented changes that I forgot

>>> v0.0:

-Initial release

Todo for the future:

• Finalize new terrains, make them not look horrible
  • Change sun surface color somehow, to match new reddish color (maybe)
  • Delete all easter eggs and replace them with new ones (maybe)
  • Change up Eve in some way (maybe, considering making it red)
  • Return Moho's burning atmosphere (not to the same extreme as before though)
  • Redo all science multipliers to suit the new layout
  • Rewrite science reports to better suit the system (maybe)
  • Biomes for altered bodies (maybe)

IMPORTANT NOTES

First and foremost, this mod WILL mess up your saves. Either create a new install of the game, or a new save specific to this mod!

This mod still has a lot of glaring bugs, with no clear solutions, so keep that in mind, and also keep in mind they may never be fixed! Getting this to its current state has been just shy of a nightmare...

Also keep in mind, any mod that also changes the solar system (Planet Factory, RealSolarSystem to name two one - edit Dec 29: PF apparently works), will most likely NOT be compatible with Alternis. I cannot say at all what might happen if you mix them, but probably awful, awful things. Please report any mod compatibility issues you find.

Current list of bugs/issues (will grow exponentially soon enough)

• Scaled space and local space don't always match up
  • Bop is grey up close when it's shrunken
  • Bop's terrain is buggy when it's made a moon of Kerbin, there are places where you can go below 0 altitude (which is bad, very)
  • Hyperwarp doesn't work
  • MAJOR: Upon launching, sometimes the ship decides to suddenly exist in solar orbit instead of on the pad, if this happens, revert the flight return to space center immediately and try again. Also check the tracking station to see if your ghost ship is still out there. If anyone has any clues to help fix this, please let me know. <- possibly fixed for v0.1!
  • Strange speckles in lowlands of Duna, unknown cause
  • The space center view is occasionally (read: always) inaccurate in its depiction of Kerbin's new home.
  • Sun shines through Jool (inherited from stock game)
  • Can timewarp through terrain, with varying results (require min altitude for limits that's not zero)
  • Slight seam on Tylo's textures
  • Very high timewarps in the Jool system can cause orbits to go totally insane (also inherited from the stock game I believe)

Please report any you find. I'm sure there will be plenty...

DOWNLOAD (mirror1, thanks N3X1S - mirror 2, thanks r4m0n) - 36.8mb, extracts to 50.8 mb

DOWNLOAD SOURCE - 17 kb

Installs like any other mod - the AlternisKerbol folder simply has to end up in GameData. If upgrading from a previous version, delete the old AlternisKerbol

Alternis Clouds

A texture and config package for rbray89's wonderful Visual Enhancements mod. To install:

1. Download and install the aforementioned Visual Enhancements mod if you don't have it already: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905
  2. Find the KSP/GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds folder and delete it
  3. Place the Clouds folder from AlternisClouds.zip in KSP/GameData/BoulderCo/

Alternis Clouds (mirror)

Plugin source license:

The source code to Alternis Kerbol is licensed under a CC BY-ND 4.0 license. This is primarily because the code of the mod is quite messy and not a good thing to base anything off of. If you really want to, though, contact me and we can try to work something out.

P25awjB.png

Art license:

The art assets to Alternis Kerbol are licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

gyjRskb.png

Edited by NovaSilisko

Where do I go to post a bug report?

EDIT: Ignore this, it is just a flaw with the ship design

EDIT: here are the screenshots and log of what happened.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Log from the flight.

I would have stuck it in the code brackets but it was too long :P

I think this might be one of the first major bugs in this mod, still can't to help more!

Edited by team.leit

Awesome mod!

First (small) bug spotted: when you focus on a planet in a map view (by double-click) when zoomed out to "all Kerbol system" view, you still focused on an "original" planet: Kerbin instead of Jool, Duna instead of Tylo.

Also, in same circumstances, when you're trying to focus on Eeloo, you get Vall instead.

It's not a serious nor annoying bug (just zoom in and click on desired planet).

@team.leit, pt1: Right, changed recommended advice in original post to be "return to space center" instead of "revert flight". Sorry, brainfart by me there.

@biohazard15: Yeah, it's some weirdness to do with the selection code. Have to fiddle with it.

@entaran, pt1: Date put in thread title!

@entaran, pt2: I think stock KSP does that to an extent. How much of a gap are we talking?

@team.leit, pt2: Did that same ship work in stock KSP?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.