[1.1.2] WernherChecker v0.4.1 - Customizable Editor Pre-Flight Checklist ; (May 18)

Magion

I'm running into a similar problem with any launch vehicle using unmanned probes. Manned flights will work fine, but upon trying to Launch an unmanned vehicle from the VAB I run into a similar problem.

For the first few seconds everything seems and looks fine, then the ground and ship disappear leaving only the skybox visible. The game appears to freeze here for a moment. But, shortly afterwards the normal image is restored, unfortunately at the same time as the audio to freezes and all menu buttons become unresponsive.

I'm running quite a few mods as well, but I've isolated the problem to WernherChecker. And it only happens with unmanned probe controlled vehicles. Manned vehicles work. Quite strange!

Love this mod to death, hope there's a simple fix for this very wonky bug! :)

He says he just fixed it, try downloading the latest and try again.

This mod is highly useful, but sometimes a bit limited in terms of compatibility with other mods.

For example, in many cases it would be highly useful to not check for the presence of a certain code-module in a ship, but rather a specific part. Sometimes the same kind of module is used in different parts, but configured differently, causing the part to behave very differently. Some other really useful features to have would be automatic checking that the storage capacity and/or default quantities of certain resources are at least as high as required.

Also, how about adding a type of manual item, with no automated checking whatsoever? It would be up to the player to check off these items, but the mod would give a warning if a launch is attempted while any items are still unchecked. The lights of these manual check-items might be a different color from the others maybe, say, purple, or blue?

An example of how these might look in the CFG file:

// specific checking for a certain part
CHECKLIST_ITEM
{
name = Polymer refinery
parts = MK3_Refinery
}

// check for minimum level of a resource at launch
CHECKLIST_ITEM
{
name = Bootstrap machinery
minResourceLevel = Machinery,10
}

// check for minimum storage capacity of a resource
CHECKLIST_ITEM
{
name = Compost storage
minResourceCapacity = Compost,1
}

// a manual check-item
CHECKLIST_ITEM
{
name = Connected living space
}

Finally, might it be possible to implement compatibility with the Kerbal Construction Time mod? That mod, like this one, overrides the standard behaviour of the editor Launch button, to ask if you want to begin construction of the ship or perform an instantaneous simulation with a virtual version of it. In both cases, it would be highly useful to have WernherChecker warn you beforehand about missing elements in the design.

Edited by Anbalsilfer

I'm also unhappy with the limitation only to the PartModules and have been thinking about it a longer time. In the end I decided to do it in a way similar to one you described. I plan to implement it in the next version, but I really don't know when that is.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this is still in development, but if it is can I make a feature request. I really don't need the crew reminder when I click Launch, if the Crew window is actually open at the time. Any way of checking to see which window is open before asking if I've checked my crew?

I intended to do that in the latest release, but I somehow managed to forget it :/

Anyway, I started developing v0.4, where I want to implement feature requested above. Now you can suggest stuffs which WernherChecker could check for.

Edited by Magion

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I use this mod for final component check, and therefore don't need the window most of the time. Could the option to disable window showing up at VAB (so you can open it when you want) be implemented please? It's quite annoying to close it every time

As you wish. I added minimization persistence. I think it will serve equally well.

Aaaaand now, a short status update: About 65% of work's been done on v0.4. As I said, this version is gonna extend the checks beyond the PartModule limitation, so I want to ask you again about the things you would like to check for. I'll greatly appreciate your help.

BTW, Yey, 100th post!!!

As you wish. I added minimization persistence. I think it will serve equally well.

Great, thank you! Looking forward to update!

I don't know if it's within possibilities, but it'd be useful if WernherChecker could tell you if you have enough power generation for the things on your ship. Like, comparing full power use of stuff like ion engine(s), wheels, RemoteTech antennas, etc. vs maximum output of solar panels (assuming they are always on 100% output) and RTGs (and maybe other power generators from mods).

Great, thank you! Looking forward to update!

I don't know if it's within possibilities, but it'd be useful if WernherChecker could tell you if you have enough power generation for the things on your ship. Like, comparing full power use of stuff like ion engine(s), wheels, RemoteTech antennas, etc. vs maximum output of solar panels (assuming they are always on 100% output) and RTGs (and maybe other power generators from mods).

Fusebox already has that covered.

Fusebox already has that covered.

Well look at that, thanks for letting know!

I have another idea, but once again I don't know limitations. Basically you select a contract from active ones, and WernherChecker compares its craft requirements (like from base or satellite contracts) and tells what you miss on the current design.

Hopefully it's not implemented by another mod...

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! A v0.4 status update here!

In the last month the development was going at a snail's pace mainly due to my 3-week sickness (still don't know the origin) and school, but now I try to code as much as possible.

I estimate the v0.4 to roll out at the beginning of the next week as it's nearly finished. Thus, you now have the last chance to suggest what should WernherChecker check for in the new update. Implemented currently are: PartModule, Min. resource capacity, Resource amount and Contract requirements checks. Any other suggestions welcome.

I apologise for the delay.

Edited by Magion

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

you either don't want anything more or you're just really good at ignoring.

Also, I'm sorry, that I didn't release v0.4 as I promised, but I somehow didn't found enough time to finish it and make sure everything is running properly. I was mainly busy with supporting Czech team at #IIHFWorlds, which is taking place in my city! :)

Anyway, because of the several major issues found after the v0.3.2 release, I decided to do pre-releases.

Now I think the next update came to a point, where it can be released, so v0.4 pre-release is now available for download at GitHub! You can find what all is new at the GitHub as well.

I will greatly appreciate, if you help me to polish the update, so it's ready for an official release. Mainly look for a red lines in the debug log. If you see any, then, please, contact me, so I can fix the issue ASAP.

Thanks!

Hey guys! A v0.4 status update here!

In the last month the development was going at a snail's pace mainly due to my 3-week sickness (still don't know the origin) and school, but now I try to code as much as possible.

I estimate the v0.4 to roll out at the beginning of the next week as it's nearly finished. Thus, you now have the last chance to suggest what should WernherChecker check for in the new update. Implemented currently are: PartModule, Min. resource capacity, Resource amount and Contract requirements checks. Any other suggestions welcome.

I apologise for the delay.

I wonder if there's a way to pull the Engineer Report results into the list -- not necessarily any specific warnings, but an item that says "No Engineer warnings" (and maybe one for each level of warning) would be nice. I suppose a manual checklist item to "Check the Engineer's Report" would do in a pinch, but it would be nice to have a light in the same list that I'm already checking, and the Engineer's Report icon doesn't change colors to show problems (except for exceeding mass, size, and part number constraints, but it already won't let me launch in that case, so nothing's really gained) the way that your mod will show a light turned off.

EDIT

Something else that would be cool: a check that a vehicle has Kerbal Engineer capability (either a chip, or an Engineer on board, or a level 3 tracking station) or SAS capability (an SAS module or a pilot on board). It would be easy enough to add the PartModule checks (actually, the KER check would make for a nice NEEDS[KerbalEngineer] patch), but the either/or with the crew and KSC checks would be the icing on the cake.

EDIT ONCE AGAIN

Also, "ModuleLandingGearFixed" is a new landing gear module that isn't caught in the default checklist config.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

Those are pretty good ideas, but unfortunately there is no way accessing the needed variables - Engineer's report doesn't have the members public and KER has no interface :( Only the SAS check could be possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to try this. I'm terrible with forgetting things. I just landed a behemoth 2 lab rover on the Mun with... no crew... except Jeb. I'll try the pre-release version and give feedback.

Had a crash while in the VAB. Never had one before. Is there some debug report I can give from somewhere?

EDIT: I think the crash happens when you get the crew check reminder, open the crew assignment without closing the reminder, and then launch.

Edited by cephalo

Hi,

I'm extremly greatful for your feedback. It's very important for me, as the pre-release would be useless without it.

I'm glad, that everything is running smoothly, except that one small bug, which I'm unfortunately unable to reproduce. I will need you, cephalo, to send me a Debug Log of KSP located at "KSP_Root\KSP_Data\output_log.txt" so i can trace the bug down.

This week I had to and still have to finish several school stuffs (one of them being a paper work in german making me wanting to commit suicide) until the end of the month, so don't expect any advances in v0.4 until then.

Once more, thanks.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I'm extremly greatful for your feedback. It's very important for me, as the pre-release would be useless without it.

I'm glad, that everything is running smoothly, except that one small bug, which I'm unfortunately unable to reproduce. I will need you, cephalo, to send me a Debug Log of KSP located at "KSP_Root\KSP_Data\output_log.txt" so i can trace the bug down.

This week I had to and still have to finish several school stuffs (one of them being a paper work in german making me wanting to commit suicide) until the end of the month, so don't expect any advances in v0.4 until then.

Once more, thanks.

Is this still being worked on?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.