[0.23] Beastly Science - Scoop-O-Matic and more! (JAN0214)

BeastofChicken

Beastly Science Industries

DOWNLOAD FROM SPACEPORT

Please delete the Scoop-O-Matic folder in your KSP install from previous versions. I've changed my folder structure for the install.

Don't want to risk a kerbal when all you're trying to do is collect some dirt? Don't want to weigh down your rocket with life support or a capsule? Do your science with robots! Beastly Science Industries introduces the Scoop-O-Matic! Do all your digging without hands, and use the Scoop-O-Matic to do all the digging and sciencing for you!

How to Use:

The Scoop-O-Matic works just like any other science part, following a few simple rules. In order to work, you must be on the ground, and the part must be cleaned before reuse. The part is located in the Science Tech slot in the tech tree. You will have to unlock it if you're using the part in an already existing saved game.

The Scoop-O-Matic Jr. can be found under the Landing tech slot. This part brings in less science than its larger cousin, but is much, much smaller and lighter.

Kerbal Kam can be found in the Field Science tech slot. This part generates Crew Reports, and uses the same science from the manned reports. However, this part can only be used once before cleaning, and delivers a reduced amount of science per use.

How to Install: Copy GameData folder in the .zip file into your KSP directory.

Changelog:

JAN0214 - Fixed incorrect reports from Kerbal Kam

JAN0214 - Added Kerbal Kam (Generates crew reports) and the Scoop-O-Matic Jr. (smaller version for rovers)

DEC2913 - Reduced size by 25% and changed weight to .15

Future plans:

Indicator light on the scooper to show when it's been used.

Separate model for the Scoop-O-Matic Jr.

Collision detection to make sure you are hitting the ground. (right now, you can actually put the part anywhere)

License: All Rights Reserved. If you would like to modify and redistribute this part, please just ask.

New Scoop-O-Matic Jr. and the Kerbal Kam

mvxhICR.jpg

Careful when using on the launchpad! The part collides with the metal pad. (I'm not even sure why it does this, but consider it a happy accident)

xhNUmHJ.jpg

Ready to dig!

0CtYzoA.jpg

Digging for SCIENCE!

Enm8Iv5.jpg

Ahhhh yeaaah.

pnlwV1T.jpg

Edited by BeastofChicken
added download link to spaceport

I've got an idea - what about dedicated liquid sampler?

- Scoop-O-Matic work only on solid ground,

- "Slurp-O-Matic" works only in ocean biomes

- idea for model: Same as Scoop-o-Matic, but "mouth" is always closed and holds a pink bendy straw

What if some guy uses submarine to lurk down to the sea bed and tries to get some mud? :P

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments! The Slurp-O-Matic idea sounds hilarious, I'm going to have to look into what it takes to make unique science ID's and see if I pull something like that off. I have a few more science parts I'm cooking up, so stay tuned.

I've been getting feedback stating that it's made some crafts wobble and turn when they're landing, and sometimes the part itself moves around oddly. Anyone else seeing that as well? I'm probably going to need to drop it's weight down a bit I'm thinking.

Part idea: Thud!-o-meter

1 You tell it to be prepared for a touchdown, and when you do touch down, it notes the speed and biome/planet.

2. Based on speed and biome/planet you get some amount of SCIENCE!

3. 75% transmit value

4. Mediocre amount of SCIENCE!

EDIR: You might want to make Scoop-o-matic yield 0% transmit value, with science lab bringing it up to surface sample, lab-ed because the probe can't actually tell what it's like.

Edited by KvickFlygarn87

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments! The Slurp-O-Matic idea sounds hilarious, I'm going to have to look into what it takes to make unique science ID's and see if I pull something like that off. I have a few more science parts I'm cooking up, so stay tuned.

I've been getting feedback stating that it's made some crafts wobble and turn when they're landing, and sometimes the part itself moves around oddly. Anyone else seeing that as well? I'm probably going to need to drop it's weight down a bit I'm thinking.

New parts? Whoah, soon I'll run out of space on my standard probe :D

Never saw wobbling and\or abnormal craft behavior. But:

- my probes are rather heavy (about 2,5-3 tons)

- usually Scoop-O-Matic is counterweighed with Goo canister

- I'm using Jount Reinforcement plugin

Great part, but it's too light. Needs to be quite a bit heavier to be realistic imho.

this

I personally would shrink the model by 50% so it fits better on smaller rovers and STILL multiply the weight by 5

you could also have two versions. one the size and weight I just listed that does what the current one does, and another one the current size with some camera looking thing attached to the arm that weighs 10 times as much as the current one (it really is too light for it's size) but can use the camera to also collect EVA reports

Edited by Tripod27

10 times as much?! The current scoop is maybe a couple dozen centimeters wide, and weighs 20 kilograms! You think it should weigh 200kg?! That's insane... that'd be nearly a quarter ton for a glorified shovel smaller than the one I use to shovel my sidewalk. I recognize there's a robotic arm involved, but come on. It's already unrealistically heavy for what it is. Realistically, and more usefully for small probes, it should be maybe half it's size and about a quarter of its current weight.

Edited by Gaius

I'm not sure on the weight issue right now. I'm contemplating making it weigh the same as the Mystery Goo container, mostly for gameplay purposes of being able to balance the two parts with each other on opposite sides of a craft. Not the most realistic weight imo, but it might make the most sense for the game.

With the size, yeah I'm going to be making it smaller, at least for now until I get a second digger. I'd like to make a smaller Scoop-O-Matic Jr. that would fit well on small rovers.

10 times as much?! The current scoop is maybe a couple dozen centimeters wide, and weighs 20 kilograms! You think it should weigh 200kg?! That's insane... that'd be nearly a quarter ton for a glorified shovel smaller than the one I use to shovel my sidewalk. I recognize there's a robotic arm involved, but come on. It's already unrealistically heavy for what it is. Realistically, and more usefully for small probes, it should be maybe half it's size and about a quarter of its current weight.

Right now it weighs less than the small comms dish in game... Don't blame me for the messed up weight values

I just want a big version that counterweights the goo canister, which it would hav to weigh a lot more to do, and a small version to use on mars size rovers/landers

Edited by Tripod27

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.