Lag?

.23 has been very frustrating for me....Things that I've had a reasonable amount, but not insurmountable, difficulties with are now unworkable. With comparable graphics settings between .21, .22 and .23 I'm now saddled 1:4 game versus real-time lag. It is frustrating to find that others have cleared the tech tree with three missions, while I'm still trying to get my lander into orbit. Any time I use SRBs, large or small, as boosters around the central craft, the rocket starts keeling over before I reach 1000m, and on some flights I even get a roll that I can't seem to control. The WASD controls don't seem to respond at all, but that could be due to the lag.

I've even tried to launch some of my designs from .22 and I'm still having problems.

I haven't modded .23 yet, and I had just picked up the batteries and landing gear on my .23 career.

Boosters have no Gimballing, and have such a high thrust it only go one directions, and that they go they are pointed at..

What means, they need to be perfectly aligned, radially and horizontally..

Also it means if your rocket it top heavy, the weight of the top is pulling onto the rocket and can make it turn, this happens alot at the first stages when you dont have reactions wheels to counter this available..

Spinning around its axis, can mean your rocket isnt symmetrical, and without wheels to hold it in place, the rocket can start to turn around it axis.

Due the fact riding on boosters without wheels, you have no control for the duration of the boosters, since the torque of the MK1 cockpit is not strong enough to push the boosters into an direction..

But keeping things Radially and Horizontally aligned and symmetrical should solve the issue, later on when you have acces to wheels, this comes a tat more foregiving.

A couple of things come to mind: Are you using ASAS, control surfaces, or asparagus staging? I have found with asparagus staging as tanks get low the craft will have a tendency to want to rotate, but when the tank is almost dry it should balance back out. Control surfaces will sometimes reduce this effect, though not always from what I have experienced. Also ASAS is helpful to keep the bigger rockets steady. Pictures of the rocket in question would be helpful to see if there is an imbalance in the center of mass. As for lag issues it might just be a lack of control opposed to actual lag, especially if you are relying on just capsule torque to turn the rocket in the atmosphere.

I've tried thrust limiting on both types of SRBs to 75%, 67%, 50%, 33% and 25% and at 25% the rocket sits on the pad. I don't have pictures available but the central vehicle is a simple lander on top of 4 or 5 LFO tanks and a '45 gimbaled engine and 4 winglets . I have tried both small and large SRBs radially attached, with either one or two decouplers (as needed), and even tried four '45s with fuel tanks as the boosters. The core flies okay by itself and I've tried various throttling schemes, and if I make orbit, I don't have enough fuel to head towards the Mun, so that's why I started adding SRBs. Everything in the VAB looks symmetrical, and I patiently made sure that the SRB's were attached to the decouplers correctly. I checked and rechecked the staging, and I'm just running out of things to try.

I may have to go back to .22, and hope that .24 works out for me when it is released.

What's your box stats? I play KSP on an ultra-low end machine, and I too have found the lag to be horrific with 0.23. What I've found, though, is that if you zoom way out for launches and position the camera below the rocket (so that NO terrain is in view once you're in flight), the game's performance is back up to an acceptable level; you have to keep all terrain out of view, though - and that includes once you're in orbit. You can safely look at planets without lag once they're a fair distance away (about 200,000 for Kerbin so far).

Does make unnecessarily landing problematic. And for the record, I'm playing on bare minimum settings at this point.

Thanks Peppe; I would appreciate some instructions from anyone with know how in case Peppe can't get back to it first. #hint-hint

Does that bug fix also apply to other worlds? Had the same thing happen over Moho the other day.

Edited by capi3101

Thanks Peppe; I would appreciate some instructions from anyone with know how in case Peppe can't get back to it first. #hint-hint

Does that bug fix also apply to other worlds? Had the same thing happen over Moho the other day.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51042-Looking-to-the-horizon-FPS-Drop?p=667684&viewfull=1#post667684

Don't think moho has any water, so not sure what your issue would be on that one.

It'll have to be later, as I'm away from the computer KSP is on. Mostly curious what changed between .22 and .23 that is affecting my performance.

No worries, we can wait : ) As for the changes, I personally didn't notice anything drastic, nothing like you describe. My rig is dual 2.77MHz, 2Gb RAM, and an Nvidia GT630. I did notice a slight improvement in the FPS when upgrading from 22 to 23, but that was about it.

I think the lag is due to the new optimizations that Squad has done to 0.23. I think that when you are looking at space the game completely ignres the ground textures, and hence when you are staring into space it runs fast; but I found that looking at the ground in both 0.22 and 0.23 have the same frame rate, at least on my machine.

So here's my system, and I realize that I need to get a better graphics card, but it didn't seem to have any big issues until I recently purchased Bioshock Infinite and started with .23.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 5450

Gaming graphics 2303 MB Total available graphics memory

Primary hard disk 532GB Free (931GB Total)

Windows 7 Home Premium

Manufacturer System manufacturer

Model System Product Name

Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM

System type 64-bit operating system

Number of processor cores 4

Total size of hard disk(s) 1229 GB

Disk partition (C: ) 532 GB Free (931 GB Total)

Media drive (D: ) CD/DVD

Disk partition (E: ) 5 MB Free (291 GB Total)

Disk partition (F: ) 539 MB Free (7 GB Total)

Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 5450

Total available graphics memory 2303 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 1791 MB

Display adapter driver version 13.152.1.8000

Primary monitor resolution 1600x900

DirectX version DirectX 10

After a bit of fiddling with everything, I did finally get this past the boost stage.

screenshot4_zps79fec8a8.png

screenshot5_zps04bfd750.png

But also after several launches till I got one with a boost profile that was workable. I think I had the SRBs on 75% thrust and the lifted me to over 10k.

A lot of the fiddling was getting the SRBs placed, as just a smidge of vertical movement is the difference between clipping and proper attachment to the decouplers.

screenshot1_zps99a15763.png

screenshot2_zpscdc359aa.png

I did try the looking up camera trick, and it did bring game time up to normal, but I'm a bit leery of fiddling with the configuration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.