Mid-Air Refueling Challange

Ok, ok I know, this is pretty impossible, but I feel like this is Possible. I have already tried with the KAS mod but I will also try with stock docking ports.

The challenge is to pretty much dock in mid-air and transfer fuel to the other craft...

Successful Contestants:

-sploden

The planes: WAS A FAIL

F54bkNh.png

Ready to release plane, line dropped:

LU9B7jN.png

Released:

6F7TM5U.png

Approaching:

G2z3Sth.png

Close...:

f7WJgnX.png

... Let's just say I tried this twice and it both failed.

Edited by xoknight

Interesting challenge. The only problem is that electromagnets don't allow transfer of fuels. To do that, you have to have a kerbal insert the winch end point into a winch end receptacle in docked mode - Which then treats the aircarft as one (Same applies to KAS pipes). THAT could cause some fun with aerodynamics.

Still, it's an interesting concept. Docking ports might be the best way to go, though.

Okay, I tried it with stock planes. No crazy inventions, just a docking port in the back. The plane I used as tanker was not extremely stable, it was flying in circles and a bit up and down but could keep in the air for quite a while. But trying to dock to it was insane. I collided with it twice, on second "success" I sent it to the sea. I could have made it, but only by chance.

However, selecting the other plane's docking port as target definitely helps, as similar approach as in docking in space can be used. It's just all ... really, really fast.

Not officially, so, await accidental explosions, supply plane teleporting around a fair bit, plane mirror images becoming true vessels, hell breaking through and big KER-BOOM in the end.

Are you in? ;)

(And do not forget to call your friend to pilot the supply plane for you, as well)

P.S. Video requested if ever performed. It will be the kerbalest air refuel ever... %)

I wanted to try this a couple of times with KAS when I first got it but never tried it.

My idea was to have a kerbal on a Command chair attached to the refueling probe. I think this would be both easier and harder then doing it with docking ports Easier in that the Kerbal has some reach so he can connect the port if it isn't exactly lined up. Harder in that you have to switch around more and designing a refueling probe that doesn't flop round with a Kerbal attached will be a challenge.

This seems like a good use for a simple KOS script to keep the uncontrolled plane steady.

And very well done sploden, this is one of those things that is obviously technically possible but also obviously way too hard to actually succeed at. Yet you managed it!

I would think Mechjeb could do that without much difficulty. KOS might be useful for the refueling drogue to keep it steady if it is bumped without docking

I would think Mechjeb could do that without much difficulty. KOS might be useful for the refueling drogue to keep it steady if it is bumped without docking

I've never used MechJeb, does it work on a ship that's not the current ship? Can you tell it "Fly at 5km altitude at 150m/s forever"? If so, then by all means it's perfect for this :)

I've never used MechJeb, does it work on a ship that's not the current ship? Can you tell it "Fly at 5km altitude at 150m/s forever"? If so, then by all means it's perfect for this :)

You can use Space guidance to hold a heading and altitude yes but even just SAS should be able to do that for a while. I have never used it in exactly that way but I have used it to Autoland at my base while I switch to a rover in mid flight. I started moving the rover to it well before the autoland program was done.

• 4 months later...

Admittedly, no fuel was transferred as yet, but the probe/drogue system i've built here is proven to function. The album below shows two attempts, with a successful grapple and docked KAS link established. Even though I had enabled fuel crossfeed in the grapple cfg it still didnt work so oh well. Relevant mods include FAR, DR, KAS, Pwings, Procedural Parts, Coffee Industries, B9, Firespitter, several of InfiniteDice parts and a whole lot more im sure i've forgotten. Craft were hand flown and switched between to maintain, though both were well behaved.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

• 1 year later...

Looks like this challenge has been around a while, with not a whole lot of takers..... The docking port is a custom cfg for the squad docking port. Heavier, stronger and grabs farther away. But it's still the size of a postage stamp.

Edited by V8jester

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.