Famous Last Words..

Hephcestus

Hello, I've been playing KSP since early .22 (bit of a newbie :P ) but I've already picked up the basic skills needed for rocket design.

However, over the launches, things have gone wrong...to produce some great debris around my launch center. Just before the fireworks begin, I've always caught myself muttering some famous last words. So I thought we could, for comedic purposes, compile our great last words for our kerbals.

"That engine is shaking quite a bit..." -I said, as the mainsail that was connected to the smallest 2.5m fuel tank began to shake and wobble and finally explode

"Weird...I deployed the parachute stage but we're not slowing down..." -Before I learned not to warp through the altitude at which chutes deploy

"Not enough electric charge.." -I read, as the probe to the Mun was landing on the dark side

What are some of yours?

What?!..... okay this is not a lifter but atleast its a sub-orbital mid range Satellite-based Missile. (I was launching a mapping satellite whit a underpowered rocket, Anyway i decided to keep it as a low range Ground-Ground missile)

AEROBRAKE MORE! wait.... AEROBRAKE LESS!!! *Suddenly the entire ship that WAS NOT meant to be captured is captured unable to escape from Laythe and explodes due to the lack of parachutes*

"Wait, WHAT?"

This is usually uttered when:

• The stack collapses in a glorious explosion at the launch pad
  • Wobble causes the engines to shear off horizontally
  • You see the bottom stage move through the upper stages. This is my favorite. The first time you're staring in disbelief but I've seen it so many times now that I no longer have to think about frantically tapping backspace

I tested out mechjeb for the first time, got into orbit easily. Used targeted landing. Decided to stage a rescue mission for them. Got a lander up, sent a refueler to dock with it and fuel it.

"I should time warp, it would speed it up."

It warped through the unmanned lander. I just recovered them.

:(

I generally avoid saying "So far so good" now, as it seems like every time I used to utter that, some part of my rocket would decide that this was the perfect time to disconnect from its neighbors. ProTip: don't exert 3 G's of force on Clamp-o-Tron Sr. ports. They won't like it, and neither will you.

"Ill just leave the Keyboard for a second..." My Mun Lander I had worked on for hours then smashed into a crater on the mun.

or my favorite

"Should I be pitching to one side?" I was coming in for my second attempt at the mun and I hadn't learned how to burn retrograde, for landings I just burned straight up. killed my vertical velocity but not my horizontal...

"OK, time to stage."

There is seriously no more dangerous moment than staging during a test flight. I've said this or heard it said right before:

The side boosters take out some engines on the central stack, causing the vehicle to immediately start spinning out of control.

The wrong side boosters are separated while still full of fuel, and rapidly accelerate, pinch in on the command module, and kill the crew.

The bare capsule decouples from the fuel and engines... in a 100 km circular orbit.

The top stage decouples instead of the boosters, while the central core pushes the rocket on uncontrolled until the top stage rolls lazily to one side and crashes into the lower stages.

And so many more...

"Bugger"

Usually just after finding out I've staged the launch clamps incorrectly and they've released when the mainsails start and not the SRBs start...

"But why should that matter?" you all ask

Because 1. the mainsails dont have quite enough power to get the ship going and 2. they start at 0% power and ramp up to 100% before the clamps release

Cue a brief bit of flying backwards followed by a ground/rocket interface incident.

Boris

"Less drinking while assembling!"

"What the hell just exploded?" During a landing on Mun my landing gear decided to blow up about 100m.

My favorite was my 8 year old when his rocket blew up during ascent "OMG I'M GOING TO DO THAT AGAIN!"

Edit

I forgot one " I put on enough parachute to keep my science equipment safe..... I think" about four seconds before everything but the crew capsule exploded

Edited by Stilgar2300

"At least the Command Pod survived...."

It was the first flight of a new career mode game. I had a parachute on the Mk 1, and slapped that onto the solid fuel booster. In my excitement I forgot to fix the staging. The engine ignited and the parachute deployed. The parachute ripped the Mk 1 off of the booster and the booster kept going. The Mk 1 was floating back down to the launch pad. *INSERT LAST WORDS HERE* The parachute put the rocket on a circular path which made it slam into the Mk 1 which was still in the air.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.