[0.23][WIP] RandomSolarSystem Alpha 0.2

Galantir

I am proud to present my first addon: RandomSolarSystem 0.2

This addon will randomize your solar system every time you start a new game in either career or sandbox mode and saves it along with your save file.

Sharing the solar system save file enables you to share solar systems with friends.

25qdtdx.png

30lnod0.png

2ujjpxe.png

This is very much a work in progress so do expect bugs to happen.

Download

Source code

Credits also go to the creators and contributers of both:

remotetech 2 and Alternis Kerbol and TreeLoader

Please do share comments and suggestions.

License:

You can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you credit the credited mods and me in your mod or readme file.

TODO:

Change more features on planets and moons.

Changes:

v0.2
-Added basic GUI giving users control over parameters.
-Added an initial Configuration with more realistic values.
-Fixed a problem with moons not orbiting their planets correctly.
-Fixed a bug when saving the solarsystem file.

Edited by Galantir
Version update

Wow, good job!

Does it randomise the values of the planets too or just where they are?

Some pics would be awesome too, I'll try it out now and post some here.

Edit: Ok so we're looking at some pretty amazing stuff here, have a look:

First new game planet spawn.

http://imgur.com/iccUdR3,bBq7fjF#0

Second new game spawn.

http://imgur.com/iccUdR3,bBq7fjF#1

I love the orbit that Duna has here, even if it is a little over the top.

Edited by Mr_Magpie

I don't usually comment on mods except for bug reports and saying thank you. I don't always think it's appropriate for non-contributors to try to change the shape or direction of a hard-working modders efforts and vision.

However, in this case, I'd like to suggest constraining orbital bodies to a similar distribution of inclinations to what is seem IRL or at least in KSP. A weighted average that places 90% of bodies on an inclination under 5 degrees (96% under 10 degrees, 99% under 15 degrees, etc.) off of the ecliptic might be appropriate.

This seems rather interesting. May I suggest you have options like this:

1. Default solar system

2. Realistic but random (similar to Flex's idea)

3. Crazy and completely random

Another option set would be similar to the first but for the moons of the Krebol system. Other wise an impressive mod. Curious why it has not been done before.

I don't usually comment on mods except for bug reports and saying thank you. I don't always think it's appropriate for non-contributors to try to change the shape or direction of a hard-working modders efforts and vision.

However, in this case, I'd like to suggest constraining orbital bodies to a similar distribution of inclinations to what is seem IRL or at least in KSP. A weighted average that places 90% of bodies on an inclination under 5 degrees (96% under 10 degrees, 99% under 15 degrees, etc.) off of the ecliptic might be appropriate.

I'm actually working on giving the user more control over things such as inclination, eccentricity.

I'm also working on randimizing the planets and moons stats a bit more, maybe even textures.

So don't worry there's more on the way.

Any screenshots or videos of this working?

One of the posts in this thread has some screenshots.

I'll provide screenshots on the next build myself, since it will include a raw GUI for users to use to control parameters(testing this atm).

Massive bugs.

First I went to the tracking center after loading in a new career mode game to check out my new system. when I went back to the space center I came back to nothing but a black screen. So I restarted the game to try to fix this. Then I found that the whole thing had disappeared on me. New game and black screen for the space center again.

I Hope you can work these bugs out it seems very fascinating. Best of luck to you.

Seemed buggy when I tried it. Some of the planets were not on their orbits! That is, their current positions at the start of the game were way off their orbit ellipses. They were just hanging out in space.

Noticed that myself and also seems i found the problem.

Massive bugs.

First I went to the tracking center after loading in a new career mode game to check out my new system. when I went back to the space center I came back to nothing but a black screen. So I restarted the game to try to fix this. Then I found that the whole thing had disappeared on me. New game and black screen for the space center again.

I Hope you can work these bugs out it seems very fascinating. Best of luck to you.

Yeah there was a huge bug in it should be fixed now though.

You definitely sanity checks on your orbit positions. You have SOIs potentially intersecting (especially anything near Jool), and things just going generally haywire... pure randomness is not what you want to do for things like this, as FlexGunship said you need to have the mod control how far things are taken. Planets need to be spaced incrementally outward so that their SOIs never touch (or never can touch), since that's tremendously bad news with how the orbit system works.

Edit: Also, I think I worded it a little poorly in the Alternis license, but I would've liked if you had asked permission before releasing this mod...

Edited by NovaSilisko

You NEED sanity checks on your orbit positions. You have SOIs potentially intersecting (especially anything near Jool), and things just going generally haywire... pure randomness is NOT what you want to do for things like this, as FlexGunship said you need to have the mod control how far things are taken. Planets need to be spaced incrementally outward so that their SOIs never touch (or never can touch), since that's tremendously bad news with how the orbit system works.

Edit: Also, I think I worded it a little poorly in the Alternis license, but I would've liked if you had asked permission before releasing this mod...

My appologies, english is not my first language and although i'm not extremely bad i do sometimes seem to mis part of the context.

I would still like to ask your permission and will act accordingly with your reply.

As far as the sanity checks go, there's a lot more that needs to be checked atm which i still didn't do and which potentially might cause problems.

It is still a work in progress and i released it this quick since i need information like yours and also more ideas(i'm not the best at that).

Math also isn't my strongest side so things like that can take me a while to implement or fix.

My appologies, english is not my first language and although i'm not extremely bad i do sometimes seem to mis part of the context.

I would still like to ask your permission and will act accordingly with your reply.

As far as the sanity checks go, there's a lot more that needs to be checked atm which i still didn't do and which potentially might cause problems.

It is still a work in progress and i released it this quick since i need information like yours and also more ideas(i'm not the best at that).

Math also isn't my strongest side so things like that can take me a while to implement or fix.

It's alright, you can continue making it! Your English is fine, it's just me being dumb with my wording of the license and not making it clear that I want permission asked before releasing.

I look forward to seeing this finished up and polished. It's a shame we can't make separate solar systems outside of the base one, though.

It's alright, you can continue making it! Your English is fine, it's just me being dumb with my wording of the license and not making it clear that I want permission asked before releasing.

I look forward to seeing this finished up and polished. It's a shame we can't make separate solar systems outside of the base one, though.

Thank you very much. BTW, it's not derivative, it gave me the idea and i only used like 12 lines of code from it. The rest is completely custom code.

I'm working hard on getting this polished but that should not be too much of a problem with the help of the kerbal community.

Edited by Galantir

Great mod idea!

It's a shame we can't make separate solar systems outside of the base one, though.

What about:

- Replace Sun with black hole-like object - pretty small, maybe invisible on map (if this can be done at all), huge gravity

- Kerbol and other stars (4-5 in total) orbit it on a highly-inclined, far-away orbits

- Every star have its own planets (less than original Kerbol system - 4-5 max, due to memory constrains)

For example:

- Kerbol (Moho, Kerbin\Mun\Minmus, Eeloo)

- Jool (a brown dwarf) - Bop, Pol, 2-3 Gilly-like objects

- System #3 - Eve\Gilly, Vall, 2-3 Minmus-like large asteroids

- System #4 - Duna\Ike, 1-2 Minmus-like asteroids

- System #5 - Laythe\small moon, Tylo\2 small moons

- Some independent objects (orphan planets)

Technically, it can be done, right? The only things that concern me is Kraken and solar panels functionality.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.