[Poll] How to fight SOPA and similar things

koberko

What do you think about this suggestion?  

1,708 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about this suggestion?

• Nice idea, and I will support it and spreed it around, and I believe other people will to.
    • Nice idea, and I will support it and spreed it around, but I don't think other people will do the same.
    • Nice idea, but I don't think it will work, so I won't support it.
    • I don't think this will make any difference.
    • I don't think this is good idea.
    • I don't care.

Here is one idea...

Latest events regarding SOPA, Megaupload and Anonymous, made me think a bit... Is there actually anything that can be done against those giant corporations and organizations? I admire and support enthusiasm and passion of Anonymous, but I can\'t fight a feeling that all of their actions are in vain... Crashing down couple websites won\'t do anything serious....

In mine opinion, only thing they (entertainment industry) will ever understand, is money... So, to make them realize some things, they have to feel it through money.

How to fight entertainment corporations, SOPA and similar things:

- switch your focus to indie music, movies and games

- if you decide to buy something, try finding something interesting in indie market

- don\'t even download pirated versions of 'mainstream' media

- if you really want something that\'s 'mainstream', wait till it\'s on discount

What\'s point of this?

- to show them that internet are not websites, blogs and facebook; internet are people! Internet are all of us!

- to show them that we, people/internet have power to decide for us and to act for us

- to make them realize that we are their customers and buyers of their goods, and that if they want us to buy that, they are ones who have to adopt to our needs and wishes, and not other way around.

- to make them realize that we won\'t allow censure of entire internet, just because some music company director can buy just one yacht instead of two.

If you agree with this, please share (just copy those two paragraphs)...

Although SOPA affects us all, it is AMERICAN legislation.

This means that if you want to fight it, your options are limited unless you are an American citizen (who has the right to work through their congressman). A non American can do one of two things as I see it:

1) They can work through their own government representative. I\'d question the value of this, but it may help.

2) They can discuss the issue with their American friends, hoping to convice them to go against it.

There is no reason why a non-American can\'t lobby the American government directly; however, the American government has no legal reason to listen to outsiders\' views, so I would suggest that one is not terribly useful.

How to fight entertainment corporations, SOPA and similar things:

- switch your focus to indie music, movies and games

- if you decide to buy something, try finding something interesting in indie market

- don\'t even download pirated versions of 'mainstream' media

- if you really want something that\'s 'mainstream', wait till it\'s on discount

To make this idea work and really take some (probably negligible) amount of money away from bill\'s lobbyists one should convince the vast majority of Internet users to do so. Including those who don\'t know, don\'t care or don\'t speak one\'s language... with these three groups making more than 99,9% of Internet users :(

So it\'s a nice idea, but even spreading a word by all the forum\'s visitors hardly will make a difference. For example, most of my readers belong to the second group, i.e. do not care even slightly. Because they all are those fucking pirates whom that SOPA\'s addressed to fight -- and they\'re already ain\'t buying anything 8). And won\'t stop downloading.

Well, one good thing we can hope to extract from this is that the movie, music and tv industries are painting a very dark picture of themselves to the world.

IDK about you, but I couldn\'t bring myself to watch tv this week without getting angry at it, so I stopped watching. Similarly, I haven\'t watched any movies either... So the irony of the whole thing is that while they keep this idiocy up, even more people will be pirating them, out of spite.

Not that I\'ve pirated anything, but I didn\'t have any of their spew either... I\'ve mostly been playing non-mainstream games ;)

Cheers

I\'ve mostly been playing non-mainstream games ;)

Hey Harv, did you see this new game that just got released as a demo? It\'s called \'Kerbal Space Program\' and you get to build awesome rockets and watch them blow up and stuff. It\'s pretty sweet, you should check it out. =P

IDK about you, but I couldn\'t bring myself to watch tv this week without getting angry at it, so I stopped watching. Similarly, I haven\'t watched any movies either... So the irony of the whole thing is that while they keep this idiocy up, even more people will be pirating them, out of spite.

Whoa. Thumbs up lad! I\'ve quit watching fifteen years ago :thumbup:

A quite ironic observation on Russian book market: the more new book is advertised the greater the chances for it to turn out a complete bullshit while some authors writing under CC and distributing their works for free easily overcome this paid stuff.

BTW last three Hollywood films I\'ve, err, pirated :) haven\'t been worth even the time I\'ve spent watching. They indeed would not be worth a cinema ticket...

Ah, and here\'s another way to oppose copyright paranoia: if sued for piracy join Missionary Church of Kopimism and sue them in response for religious intolerance 8)

What pisses me off: If people would stop pirating prices for movies, games and so forth would start increasing. Why? No more competition.

And I\'m pretty sure they would try to fight those people that upload their stuff for free. In Germany they are already doing it. I\'m working with several major German bands and a lot of them material for free to Youtube, on their official channel. About 30-40% of the time youtube gets forced to block this content by the state(GEMA), without anyone asking the respective band first.

Trust me on this one, I know the numbers: Pirating is good for everyone. The producers, the creative people, the public, the executives. But most of the revenue generated by this is 'invisible revenue', which is usually contributed to 'our marketing campaign back from a year ago' or similar nonsense. You think the music industry allows their content on the radio because they get some money from the radio stations? That\'s small fries. It\'s all about making the product popular enough so people are willing to invest in the secondary offshoots(like concert tickets, physical copies of the product for collection, merchandise).

But what pirating has one big 'drawback': Only good content benefits from pirating. Bad content does not. And that\'s what they are really afraid of, the need to create good content and not profiting from the bad stuff.

I\'m sorry if I\'m explaining this badly, my English sucks today...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.