Why do you play KSP?

Aireglin

Yep.That may be the reason :D

I FOUND YOUR GAME!!!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/233720/?snr=1_7_15__13

:D

...anyway, I play KSP because I'm a massive nerd who loves math, physics, space exploration, engineering, mission planning and execution...

I also may have been dropped on my head as a child... actually my mother can verify that yes, I was dropped on my head as a child :wink:

Edited by WafflesToo

I got the demo because KurtJMac played it on YouTube and it looked interesting.

I got the game because I played the demo and had lots of fun with it until I ran out of stuff to do.

I continue to play with it because the core gameplay is fun and the mods keep things interesting.

I had seen it on Steam and was considering it, but figured it wasn't really something that would be that interesting to me. I tried out the demo, found it was nothing like what I expected, and after a few hours of crashing rockets into the ground I bought it. I have nearly 120 hours of gameplay according to steam, yet have barely scratched the surface of what's available in just the stock game, not to mention what gets added with mods. I love it so much I even started recording my gameplay, which I was always too afraid to do with other games.

Love space, after the massive disappointment of the USA failing to follow up on the moon missions KSP allows you to dream up fantastic designs and make stuff work.

Hopefully games like this will help push a new generation of manned space exploration.

Because I believe from now on our greatest human achievements will be in space. If we'd stayed on the same trajectory as Apollo life would be more than a bunch of rich guys trying to figure out how to coax that last 1% out of the poor guys. I believe we've lost our way as a species where consuming has become more important than creating.

In KSP you get to dream all the things that should be possible but aren't.

That was a little more flowery than I was intending but you get the gist. In short; space is cool.

I enjoy KSP because it engages all of the reasons I game to begin with. First, it's fun. The happy little cartoon green guys add an element of levity to what could otherwise be a bit of a dry slog. Second, it has a learning curve that's challenging without being frustrating. From getting to orbit, to docking, to Duna returns, all of the skills that I've mastered led very organically to a fresh set of challenges. Third, KSP piques my curiosity. I've been led to do further research on space because of my play in KSP. Fourth and finally, KSP allows me to reach goals in a variety of ways. I can totally over-engineer a Mun landing and return, or use up the last of my monopropellant just as I get my periapsis down to 40k. I can tweak designs to my heart's content. Getting all this for $23 is one of the best values I've ever encountered.

I love this game for many reasons. 1st I am a PC gamer and build my own computers. I have a hot rod of a machine and play many, many PC games. As a game I love that it is akin to old games I used to play on my Commadore 64. I remember using huge guides/manuals, graph paper to draw maps, and generally having to use my brain to figure out how to do most anything. To me games are getting too easy and this is a welcome challenge. Finally, I love rockets and space because when I was young my father worked at John C. Stennis space center during the glory days of the Saturn V. He witnessed all the engine tests and brought me home tons of pictures and official NASA release photos of the whole thing. To this day, in my game room, I have black and white photos blown into posters of the Saturn V on the launch pad. I am fascinated by all things space and this game has hit the nail on the head for me. I hope that there are many improvements, and to encourage further development I am willing to pay for any quality DLC at full price in the future. Hell I want a KSP 2 already!

I'm a IT professional who retired early due to health problems. Grew up in the 60s reading Heinlein and obsessing over NASA. I don't get out of the house that often anymore, so have time for long, complex games.

I first heard of KSP when it got mentioned on XKCD a year back, and was downloading a copy a few minutes later.

I took a chance on it on boxing day in the steam sales. I have played many hours of Lunar Lander and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of flying in zero gravity.

I don't buy early release games as I don't have the patience with bugs, but I made an exception this time and am so glad I did.

Why do I play it, well as others have said I too love anything to do with space, and seeing the solar system in the game just makes me want to go and visit each planet. I have only just mastered getting into orbit but have yet to make it to Mun. Can't wait to land there. Then on to the other planets. Its the feeling of achievement I like, and this game delivers that. Watching videos on youtube people make it look easy, but, for a total novice like me playing career mode, its anything but.

I'm a IT professional who retired early due to health problems. Grew up in the 60s reading Heinlein and obsessing over NASA. I don't get out of the house that often anymore, so have time for long, complex games.

I first heard of KSP when it got mentioned on XKCD a year back, and was downloading a copy a few minutes later.

This, but add Asimov and all the golden age sci-fi writers.

Sorry to hear of your health problems(I can relate).

KSP lets loose the child that watched the Moon landing in awe (in a way no other game has).

• 1 month later...

I usually abused games to do things that were not meant to be done really: Star Trek: A Final Unity - fooled around with the engineering menu and just flew around the galaxy ignoring the hails leading to the next story mission.

I was very frustrated about Battle Cruiser 3000, as it had such a promising premise to travel around in your own ship and be able to land on other planets in a shuttle etc. - but it was killed by the publisher and released half-dead.

In KSP I get to fly around and land on other planets, do not have to worry about hostile creatures getting in the way of my fooling around (apart from the Kraken!), it (at least in my casual project way playstyle) challenges my ability to plan ahead, concentrate, pay attention to details, it gets my 34,75 years old brain to fantasize.

It is a §$/&%( load of Fun! (cap for emp)

Easy: I love space, scifi and sandbox games. This narrows it down to really only 2 games: Eve Online and KSP.

All the others aren't "complex enough" to keep me entertained for more than a few days. GTA 5 was great fun for example...but I got bored after less than a month. I like "spreadsheet games"...Eve players will know what I mean :P

Like a lot of people on here, I've been interested in spaceflight for many, many years. Recently, that interest started to wane along with NASA's budget. Even though there were still many exciting missions coming up, the gutting of the Science Mission Directorate and the underfunding of Manned Spaceflight got me down.

I picked up the demo of KSP with admitedly mild interest, and very quickly it got me hooked - not just in the game, but spaceflight in general again. I've been devouring Von Karman lectures and documentaries, so I guess you could say I play KSP because it keeps me passionate about exploration.

Also, the way I play is generally using small spacecraft, so the feeling I get when on the surface of some far off planet is one of isolation, like the world's longest solo camping trip! That's perfect for when a bit of escapism is in order :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.