minimuffin

Do you make youtube videos?  

1. 1. Do you make youtube videos?

• Yes, all the time
    • Fairly often
    • Sometimes
    • No, not at all.
    • I plan to

Hello, minimuffin here, I wanted to ask who here post youtube videos, (Of ksp)

I am wondering as I plan to post KSP videos on my youtube channel, (I actually have one I am going to upload very soon) and I started to wonder who else posts KSP videos.

The question is: Do you post KSP videos? If you do, how do you do it, and what do you like about it? Also, what do you recommend I do?

Thank you, minimuffin. P.S: Here is a link to my channel, but I am going to post the video in the fanworks forums once it is uploaded http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9VZkPoGtvj-VdadHfq7yMg

P.P.S: I think I could do a "channel promotion" thing, where I read out any of your channels out to any viewers I may have, so PM me with the link to your channel if you want me to do that!

Edited by minimuffin

I do post some KSP video. As to how do I do it, I just sit down and babble about what I am doing and sometimes other things. Right now I am doing a story of sorts with my current mission to Duna, and what all is going on at KSC. Just be yourself would be the best advice I feel, do not try to be just like someone else just because they are popular.

I have 2 or 3 KSP videos on my -for now- inactive channel. I was planning on making a 0.23 related video but the electric company and their quality service made my computer go boom so I'm left with my notebook which can't really run KSP and even less run and record it at the same time.

Sorry I forgot to include the channel, though I do a lot of other things besides KSP videos (TellTale games The Walking Dead is something I am doing without commentary currently). I am also going to,try anyways, record my first tutorial on how to get to Mun and back for beginners. I might over engineer the rocket, but for a new player I feel it would not be a bad thing since they will make mistake.....we all did when we first started out :wink:

Here is the channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Liowen

I have a channel that I don't update much with, since my mic died and the stock one is not very good. Also, that my computer decided to go on a vacation so I have far less processor power to run both recording and playing the game.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pvtnum11/videos

Some of that stuff is fairly old and looks really... amateurish now. I did like the Semitruck to the Mun thing, though.

I have recorded for both Minecraft and FTL and now record (almost) daily for KSP. Here's my thread and here's my YouTube page. I just posted my 50th KSP video today and I'm 1/3 of the way to 1000 total videos.

As to how I do it, it's a bit of a rigamarole but it allows me to control the sound quality better. If you don't do this, you will eventually be drowned out by your rockets. :)

I use 4 pieces of software: FRAPS to record video. Audacity to record me talking, Virtualdub to compress the video down to something not disgustingly large, and finally VideoPad to edit it all together.

I start KSP from the launcher to run it in a fullscreen window, and once it's all loaded and I'm where I want to start recording, I hit the Windows key to bring up my start bar, then switch to Audacity and hit "r" to record. Then I alt-tab back to KSP and hit F12 (Not the default, but I set it up that way) to start recording FRAPS. I then point at various things on the screen and name them so later, I can match the audio and video together. I then do my let's play. NOTE: Fraps chews up hard drive space, about a gig a minute. If you have less than 100 gig free I'd suggest recording for an hour or less at a time.

I then run VirtualDub, compressing with xvid which I downloaded as well. This creates a high quality compressed video. I also, in Audacity, run 2 Components off the menu: Noise Filter and Compressor, to make my audio sound even better.

I then load the compressed video and the audio into VideoPad and line them up using the a/v cues I did at the start up there, balance the audio so you can hear me over the rocket sounds, chop out the stuff I don't want, do some trickery with subtitles to name the episode and put little asides in where I want them, slap in my intro and whatnot, and then create the final episode which eventually gets uploaded to YouTube.

It sounds a lot harder than it is, though I had to learn each step as I went and did not do the extra Audacity step until a ways into the process.

I have a variety channel (that's just verging on 270 subscribers) that's centered around KSP. My most popular series is a kerbal military series, in which I protect kethane colonies, while my other series is one in which I produce a cinematic every few weeks. I suppose it's exclusive to my cinematic thread at the moment but I thought I'd share a work in progress that I'm filming right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSJmUMwyU5E

Right.. youtubers found themselves a nice little thread to hang around...

Well, I do it too. I have a musician/shamanistic dance friend. We've hung out together for about twenty years - I got married eventually, so we hang out less nowadays... I film him at his concerts and post the flicks. I happily opted out of the monetization program on youtube and just keep the videos there for those who appreciate him.

I have been adding new KSP videos every week since 0.22 launched. As of 0.23, I now have a regular schedule (a new Let's Play every Friday) for KSP 0.23 career mod. I just started my other channel for gaming in general, and have a new Let's Play each week posted there, plus an extra every week (usually from KSP).

I have a whole bunch of subscribers from a couple of FSX guides I made years ago, but for KSP so far I've only made the remotetech guide in my sig. I'm planning out a guide to launching rockets with FAR installed, mostly with the intent of un-teaching all the bad habits and misconceptions the stock aero model gives you.

I been doing videos (daily) for over a year now. I honestly just go with the flow and think of stuff that I have either, A. Never Seen, B. Seen but can do better or C. Want to do. Its been fun but some things like 8 orange tank refuel stations get a bit daunting as I would say about 30-40% of the stuff I do is either edited out or not recorded.

MY Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/goose79335

I've made a few videos explaining my mods, as well as a few "from scratch" videos, where I record a whole (short) mission, from initial build to landing, and speed it up 5x.

Not sure if it's just ego stroking or helping anyone, but it's a nice symbol.

I've just started doing it. Why? Because really I wanted to do something for the community. Whether or not its a good gift is yet to be seen, but I like seeing all the creative stuff people do and Kerbal Space Program is just a neat way to tie it all together. Also, because it's another way to enjoy the game. I can just amuse myself, but if I have a project I want to do, that's a mission in and of itself. It uses the same game but suddenly there are a whole different set of tools. It's like screwing around.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.