Space kraken thread: Post your kraken encounters here!

InterCity

Did the space kraken ever attack you?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Did the space kraken ever attack you?

• Yes.
    • I don't know if it was the space kraken or just a bad craft :blush:
    • What kraken?

Yeah, once. At least I think so.

In 0.19, I was playing around, went back to space center, switched to a kerbal on the runaway, and the screen goes black, then the altimeter goes 111111111, 222222222, etc. I ended flight seconds later. Here's proof:

1vOZc3e.png

I think the kerbal was in ragdoll mode before I switched to it.

R.I.P Whoever that was

Edited by Agent30632

I experienced the Deep Space Kraken back in .16 solar orbit... The ASAS lost that fight, and Jeb wasn't there to fix it.:P

And then there was the Space Cthulhu in 0.17.0... *shudder*

RIP all of the atomic engines, spacecraft, and Kerbals who became victims of the Time Warp Cthulhu.

Even today I exit 100000x Warp with great caution.;.;

Edited by RocketPilot573

It was just a fine day. I was cleaning up some debris, old ships and probes in peace.

I looked at a little stock probe (a z-map satellite or so) i threw in space some time ago, but it unfortunately reached escape velocity too soon, and i was too noob to fix it. Both satellite and probe were orbiting Kerbol at a reasonably fast speed, and i left them there for... let's see... some in-game years, out of fuel and electricity.

Nothing bad until here, but then Kerm only knows what happened, the game froze and the screen turned black. I could only see the interface, the altimeter swiched between 111111,222222,333333,444444,555555,666666,777777,888888,999999,111111, 222222, and so on.

This wasn't the weirdest. instead of showing a number, the speed meter was showing "NaN m/s".

I went back to the space center and the screen was black too, with only the interface again.

My face showed a 'wat" expression, my brain had brain lag and at last i closed KSP.

I opened it again and the ship was still there. I terminated the vessel ASAP and did other things. End.

I took a probe up to a Jool slingshot, back down to Eve to reach Kerbol escape velocity. The probe grazed the atmosphere and dissasembled half the craft. As i aimed to find the kraken on this save i set the UT to a point where i would be far from the sun, the kraken found me and shot me at 9.73x lightspeed back to the system. I passed 5 km from my space station.

Eh...I'm starting to think wether half of the Kraken tales that are purely text aren't just stuff people made up or not...

And no, I've never had any Kraken attacks since 0.19, which was the first version of KSP I've played.

I feel like no one here has really met the Kraken, save perhaps Sal Verger Himself. I have a tale to tell you youngling though. Back in the days of .14, (persistance mind you.) there was a lonely planet, with a single moon, spinning round the single planet, orbiting a single star in the black void. A mission was embarked, to prove that the yellow sphere in the sky, was in fact, made of molten cheese. A 30 engine launcher was assembled. Three brave pilots flew into the black void. They burned for interplanetary space. The dove towards the sun.Then at about 40km/s the ship started spinning out, it disintegrated at 109km/s phantom forces ate the universe killing the three brave kerbals. That my friends, is the kraken. He's dead now by the way.

Yup. A few patches ago I was flying two identical landers to the Mun in formation to see if I could land them close to each other. Halfway to the Mun I switched crafts and the landing legs popped off. Both crafts aborted the encounter and burned for Kerbin. Upon hitting the top of the atmosphere, however, the landing legs popped off on the other craft! All crew survived. :)

Can confirm the NaN one, had a nasty string of them when trying to set my armada of Joolian moon orbiters/landers onto an intercept trajectory while in interplanetary space. They seem to only happen when travelling faster than ~10,000m/s, but using Kerbal Alarm Clock to switch craft seems to have solved it... *crosses fingers* :P

It is not dead. You can't kill a beast even greater than space itself. It still lurks over the darkest corners of the universe. God help those who cross him over.

yom6.png

Rest in peace, Bill "Bonecracker" Kerman. Hope you are now piloting rockets in the Kallahalla

Occurence: Landing at kerbin's badlands at approx. 1,3 m/s. Upon touchdown, the craft got torn apart, launching its debris all over the solar system. Poor Bill didn't survive it :(

Edited by InterCity

Once, great Astronaut, Frank "Flyer" Kerman, rookie, embarked on the first mission to leave Kerbin's SOI, and go to minmus. Round twenty minutes after landing, the camera feeds went black, and the altimiter read "666666", the mark of the Kraken

Note : I restarted the game after that and it was all okay.

OK here is an archive bug report video for the original torque inducing Space Kraken bug long since fixed by the Kraken'sbane update. Note this is at high speed in Kerbolar orbit before the other planets were added. After the SAS is disengaged at 0:25 the pitch and roll indicators are static during these clips, all torque is induced by the Kraken.

Edited by boolybooly

one day i was making a christmas three to land it on the mun, everything went normal until i separated the last stage, it started shaking and some of the parts flew away, increasing its speed by thousands of m/s shot out into intarplanetary space the three kept shaking like crazy and i did my best but i couldn't control it, i finally managed to crash it onto the mun and we swear that we'll never speak of it, ever again

I once had a probe that was moving towards Jool, when suddenly it started moving out of the solar system with a considerable fraction of light speed. The movement vector was a perfectly straight line. It was awesome! :)

I was loading up a flying bus with Kerbals when the Kraken plucked my craft from the runway and flung it, and its 24 passengers, with such force into space that it left the Kerbal system completely.

All 24 Kerbals were lost.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44582-The-no-engined-flyer-challenge!?p=572277#post572277

plane:

snip

After MET clock hits 30 seconds exactly:

snip

Flies stable and then boom. Parts would go flying at mach speed away from the explosion. .craft is still bugged to this day. I have felt the kraken.

...how comes the first image shows 30 seconds and no kablamification?

Kraken just destroyed my career mode I started in v0.22 and continued in v0.23.

I've installed KSPX and went to Gilly Apollo style, visiting an old probe that got down. Exiting the lander (the only KSPX items were those radial fuel and oxidizer tanks) was weird because both Jebediah and Bill were impacting their heads on the light installed above, so they would fling away from the lander at perhaps less than 15 m/s. All of the sudden the screen gets dark and the altimeter starts counting 000000, 111111, 222222, 333333, ...

Time counter went to 00:00:46.

KSC is gone. All is gone. Crap.

I had an interesting Kraken attack with KAS...

I had a station (500km circular) connected to a craft via winch. (was refueling the station-mover engine) Had a bug occur that required me to bail out and load from the prior save... and on flying the craft again, it exploded into many pieces, the pod itself flinging off so violently it had a negative periapsis.

I tried again, this time choosing to fly the station "proper" - and it was just fine. Unplugged the winch and safely switched over to the other craft to carry on normally.

I was testing an SSTO and when the game loaded i guess it forgot about air, i had no lift or drag from the atomsphere but my jets still worked so I thought 0.0 time for science! I made an orbit and then flew all the way to Laythe but i guess the game forgot about about that to becouse it wasn't there. Later I loaded in and every craft in orbit or landed was gone!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.