Any good planet exploration games?

drawerboy

No, this one is not 3D. Yes it is old.

Yes it has one of the best music scores that ever made its way into a computer game.

Yes it has an incredible amount of worlds to explore. Yes, the exploration is tense and requires some some twitch reflexes and a lot of strategic thinking.

Yes you can spend half a year on this (playing an hour or two in the evening).

Yes it has a grand plot, of which you will be a key component, should you choose to be one. Otherwise you will watch the thing unfold around you.

Yes you have hundreds of places to explore/exploit.

Star Control. The first one.

Enough said.

No mans sky?(I know it isn't out yet but still...)

Another game that isn't out yet (beta this summer) is Destiny (by Bungie). It'll first be published for PS4 and PS3; its thought to later be available for Xbox 1 and still later for personal computers. Some game play takes place on other locations in our solar system.

Source: http://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Launch-Date/en/News/News?aid=11318

Here's a look:

(Edits in italics.)

Edited by Dispatcher

Kerbal Space Program lets you create custom rockets and jets, etc. and fly them into space :P

the first Mass Effect lets you explore some planets after the first few main missions.

thats about all i can think of at the moment.

Spore,it is a kind of evolution game.You first start as a small organism,that has to find food floating in water.Then you become an animal,and hunt for parts,like ears,claws and stuff.You can hunt,or be friend with other animals.Then you start as tribe.You can either kill or be friends with your neighbours.Same applies to city.And when you evolve to space age,here the fun begins...

Come on, Spore wasn't that bad, just hyped way too much to begin with. As a simple evolution game it's OK. Got some game flaws, but it's playable.

For planetary exploration try... well... Planet Explorers It's still in alpha, but it's progressing well. I've only played the free 0.53 version, but they're up to 0.7 in their $22 version. It's got three play styles in game at present. 'Build' where you can explore and build/mine etc without limit in a small zone. 'Adventure' where you're in a zone, but have to pay for upgrades/items with meat, and finally 'Story' which is similar to Adventure but has... well, a story, and a much bigger environment to explore. The version I played runs out in story after a while, but it's looking very impressive so far.

(EDIT: I should note Planet Explorers allows you to explore ONE planet, their own creation, not journey between many worlds and explore each of them... unfortunately. On the flip side they've put a lot of work making the world seem realistic)

Edited by Patupi

I, too, would recommend Spore. It is a fantastic game of controlling an alien species from a eukaryotic cell to a spacefaring civilization. The ONLY downside is that, once you reach the Space Stage, you cannot actually land on alien worlds. You may, however, visit the planet inside it's atmosphere (close enough to see the alien wildlife, as a matter of fact), not to mention forming alliances and trade routes with a sentient species. Also, you could fight other empires for control of the galaxy!

You should definitely check it out.

Spoire surely is an interesting game.

The only gripe I had about it was, that most options you could change about your species were purely cosmetic.

For example ...

it doesn´t matter how many legs you put on your creature, or how long you make them ... it doesn´t affect the speed, as the only thing that affects the speed is the foot you use for the legs ...

so, a tiny 6 legged lizard with thin legs has the same speed as a 2 legges giant with muscular legs, as long as they use the same foot type ...

same about arms ...

no matter how many arms you give your creature, as long as they have the same hands, they are exactly equal ...

not even the multiplicity of eyes makes a diference ... a cyclops can see as well as a creature which has eyes all around his body ... as long as both creature use the same type of eyes

Spoire surely is an interesting game.

The only gripe I had about it was, that most options you could change about your species were purely cosmetic.

For example ...

it doesn´t matter how many legs you put on your creature, or how long you make them ... it doesn´t affect the speed, as the only thing that affects the speed is the foot you use for the legs ...

so, a tiny 6 legged lizard with thin legs has the same speed as a 2 legges giant with muscular legs, as long as they use the same foot type ...

same about arms ...

no matter how many arms you give your creature, as long as they have the same hands, they are exactly equal ...

not even the multiplicity of eyes makes a diference ... a cyclops can see as well as a creature which has eyes all around his body ... as long as both creature use the same type of eyes

I agree, I love spore but hate little things like that. Also the part limit on vehicles in both civ and space stage are a hindrance. Other then that though I think Space stage was done pretty decently.

I, too, would recommend Spore. It is a fantastic game of controlling an alien species from a eukaryotic cell to a spacefaring civilization. The ONLY downside is that, once you reach the Space Stage, you cannot actually land on alien worlds. You may, however, visit the planet inside it's atmosphere (close enough to see the alien wildlife, as a matter of fact), not to mention forming alliances and trade routes with a sentient species. Also, you could fight other empires for control of the galaxy!

You should definitely check it out.

You can land if you have Galactic Adventures. Only on a few planets though.

Too bad the game is owned by EA.

EDIT: Aaaaand I accidentally bump an old thread again.

• 3 weeks later...

My good buddy and I had given up on space gaming, after Elite on the Commodore, and MS Space Simulator on DOS / WIN98, there really wasn't much that fired the imagination till KSP, and what KSP might become.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.