[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

1. See post above yours. Would like input. :)

2. ServiceModule does indeed understate mass for RCS tanks, which is something to fix when PP really replaces Stretchy for use with RF (maybe we should up the tankmass for bladder tanks inside a ServiceModule part? Difficult because how do you distinguish bladdered HTP from just plain pressurized HTP-as-oxidizer?)

3. You need Realism Overhaul, which has the RCS configs. Monopropellants only. It's about to be updated (along with RF) to support ModuleRCSFX (which supports bipropellant RCS).

1. See post above yours. Would like input. :)

Looks consistent with everything else. I approve. :D

Note that I may not be an entirely representative sample as I play stockalike configs/normal sized kerbin, and have slightly mixed feelings about the low densities and masses of everything in realfuels. Getting some rockets up seems a bit on the easy side, but I also like the consistent/coherent masses/densities of things so I don't want to change it -- maybe I'll just lower the Isp another smidge.

This has probably been asked and addressed before, but I've installed RSS and the Realism Overhaul, and KW, along with stock tanks don't let me choose different propellants.

I've looked on both threads but I can't find a solution.

Hello. I've recently tried to give your mod a go however I've had little success so far. Originally I attempted to run it along with other mods such as Interstellar KSP, FAR, and Deadly Reentry, but the fuel selection GUI never appears in the VAB even when selecting whats listed as a compatible tank. I even went so far as dumping my entire KSP folder and doing a clean reinstall of 0.23.5 before installing RealFuel along with the StockEngine.cfg to eliminate possible conflicts with no success. Sadly I have had no better luck trying to search for a potential solution on these forums so I'm not sure what to try next.

Sounds like either an install issue or a UI issue. You are going into Action Group Editor mode and clicking on the tank, right? Does the GUI appear then? Can you use it?

After giving it a second try yes, I'm able to edit fuel type/quantity now. Somehow I had missed that the GUI was only accessible in the action group menu. >.> On a side note how compatable is this with Interstellar KSP?

Whoops, missed this. It should be totally compatible.

Changelog:

v5.2 \/

*Add support for Nazari's Mk3 expansion, add ECLSS fix, fix ARM patches.

*Fix launch clamps so they pump to all parts.

*ialdabaoth: add support for RF adjustments via tweakables.

*Fix RCS tank basemass

*Support ModuleRCSFX

*Fix some engine patches to play nicer with HotRockets

[LOG 15:16:56.923] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/RCS/KWrcsPod/part/KWrcsPod'

[WRN 15:16:56.926] PartLoader Warning: Variable model not found in Part

[ERR 15:16:56.928] Cannot find a Module of typename 'ModuleRCSFX'

[EXC 15:16:56.932] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 15:16:56.936] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

6118e28d6a.png

Edit: I'm guessing I need the RCSFX mod?

Edit2: Yep, installing it solved the problem. You should add it being a required mod to the OP.

Edited by MAKC

Just a further comment on nuclear engines. With the engine config file so that my engine masses, etc. were fixed now with the 3.75 m tanks I was testing with it was possible to make a NERVA get higher delta-v than a chemical rocket. But it would still take a somewhat ridiculous number of tanks because the full mass/dry mass ratio for the tanks (type=Cryogenic) was only about 7:1. So I went into the tank .cfg files for Real Fuels and changed one of the big KW tanks over to type=BalloonCryo. This gives a full mass/dry mass closer to 80. With a tank like this it is now possible to build a nuclear rocket stage using the NovaPunch 2.5 m NERVA which is quite comparable to the projected real world NERVA stage. The stage as a whole (engine + tanks) has a full mass/dry mass ratio of about 10 and will give a 100 tonne payload a delta-v of about 3500 m/s. This takes 21 tanks (!). This may seem like a lot but as far as I can tell from my reading it is fairly consistent with a real world NERVA which would have carried about 150 tonnes of liquid H2, would have been over 10 m in diameter and over 40 m long. A chemical rocket stage of the same gross mass gives this payload only 2500 m/s. To get the same delta-v with chemical takes about 20% more mass, although it results in a stage of much lower volume (only 6 tanks).

So, if you are using real fuels without stretchy tanks and you care about building nuclear rockets then you should go into the config files and give yourself a BalloonCryo tank. Of course you should probably just use stretchy tanks and I wish I could get it to go with the other mods I'm using without hitting memory issues.

Cheers!

Edit: I'm guessing I need the RCSFX mod?

Edit2: Yep, installing it solved the problem. You should add it being a required mod to the OP.

I....did. RCS configs come from RO (which you must have also updated, to need ModuleRCSFX), and here's the requireds list from its OP:

Requires:

Real Solar System (else why use this?)

Real Fuels v5.2+

Stretchy SRB v9+ OR Procedural Parts (or you won't have the right size tanks)

Deadly Reentry v4.6+ (for the heatshields)

Ferram Aerospace Research (made by the amazing ferram4)

RealChutes v1.1+ (by stupid_chris)

Engine Ignitor (by HoneyFox)

ModuleRCSFX by ialdabaoth

Advanced Jet Engine by camlost

dlrk:

Check how RealFuels/ECLSS_RF.cfg does it. Or check the first link in the FAQ in the third post of this thread.

dlrk, in the *very post* I respond to you in, I quote how ModuleRCSFX *is* listed as a dependency, for the mod that requires it. I don't know how I can be clearer.

You included the requirements in the readme but not in the OP, maybe that's what he means?

Actually it's in the RO readme not RF.

I....did. RCS configs come from RO (which you must have also updated, to need ModuleRCSFX), and here's the requireds list from its OP:

dlrk:

Check how RealFuels/ECLSS_RF.cfg does it. Or check the first link in the FAQ in the third post of this thread.

My bad. :)

Okay, so I'm a little confused here about how to install the stock engine.cfg's. Click the link but it takes me to the raw file. Call me a noob when it comes to installing mods (I'm too used to drag and drop where as this seems a bit more involved). I'm guessing that I need these .cfgs in order to get my engines to be interchangable between tech level and fuel type they can use (herp derp)

Okay, so I'm a little confused here about how to install the stock engine.cfg's. Click the link but it takes me to the raw file. Call me a noob when it comes to installing mods (I'm too used to drag and drop where as this seems a bit more involved). I'm guessing that I need these .cfgs in order to get my engines to be interchangable between tech level and fuel type they can use (herp derp)

I just selected the text from the browser window (select all from browser edit menu) copied it, pasted it into a text editor and saved as a new file in the RealFuels directory. Seems to work.

Cheers!

I just selected the text from the browser window (select all from browser edit menu) copied it, pasted it into a text editor and saved as a new file in the RealFuels directory. Seems to work. The file name shouldn't matter as long as it has a .cfg extension.

Cheers!

Is there a KW Rocketry config available that doesn't rescale the engines?

Edit: hang on, I think I got stock engines confused with real engines. Nothing more to see here, just move along.

Edited by White Owl

I made a very basic cfg to configure HGR parts for realfuels (so I can use them with real-sized kerbin/earth mods). This file makes them work under realfuels. They function, but I would not say that they are "balanced" just yet. Place the cfg in your realfuels directory.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zx5ljbm03cy7dgz/HGR_RealFuels.cfg

*I didn't include the radial tank or service modules as setting a single volume for them seemed wrong.