[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

RFstockalike has its own realplume configs are you using those?

hmm, you may be right, it's whatever CKAN last stuck in there so I'll have to take a look.

I updated the Stock Revamp .cfg to include ignitions and require ullage since the last RFStockalike release. It's based on the development version of Stock Revamp. Let me know if any of the engines don't have effects with Real Plume. I think the small 1.25 meter engine (LV-900?) might be missing Hydrolox effects, but that might have been the stock LV-909 (or both).

https://github.com/lurkoholic/RFStockalike/blob/master/GameData/RealFuels/StockAlike_StockRevamp.cfg

thanx, I'll give it a try this weekend and see how it works (and hope none of my ullageless vessels are now stranded lol)

Don't know if this is the right place to ask. Is there a way to add fuel to wings somehow ?

On a forum like this there's probably no truly "wrong" place, though this one ain't exactly right either.

I'm not aware of any mod that does this, however, a few of the big stock wings can hold fuel. I suggest you have a look at their config files (e.g. GameData/Squad/Parts/Aero/shuttleWings/delta.cfg) and compare it to that of any other wing. It's pretty straightforward, really.

If you're not afraid of writing your own ModuleManager patches: get Modular Fuel Tanks and see how it works, then apply this knowledge to wings.

hmm, you may be right, it's whatever CKAN last stuck in there so I'll have to take a look.

thanx, I'll give it a try this weekend and see how it works (and hope none of my ullageless vessels are now stranded lol)

The RealPlume configs aren't included yet, you can download them from this post: LINK (Svm420 created them!) Sometime you can rotate you ship end over end to get the fuel to settle...I'd be more worried about vessels with engines that only have 1 ignition :D! Of course you can also disable ullage and limited ignitions in the RealSettings.cfg.

Sorry if this is covered somewhere, but I'm having a hard time getting engines I'm creating to appear in the tech nodes I want them.

I've tried a number of things, but long story short is, I put "techRequired = start" in both the part and its CONFIGs, and it appears in the propulsionSystems or heavierRocketry node depending on how big it is. I assume this is RealFuels being judgemental about my engines, but I'd like to be able to reliably override it and put engines where I want them. Any tips?

Ugh, seriously?

Y'all need Jesus to completely remove case sensitivity from config files.

If I had my druthers, the whole ass-ugly format would go the way of the dodo, be replaced by something that actually follows the laws of God and Nature. Like JSON, which is about 3 steps away, anyway.

The RealPlume configs aren't included yet, you can download them from this post: LINK (Svm420 created them!) Sometime you can rotate you ship end over end to get the fuel to settle...I'd be more worried about vessels with engines that only have 1 ignition :D! Of course you can also disable ullage and limited ignitions in the RealSettings.cfg.

That's the ironic thing, the "easy" stuff like the actual fuel bits seems to work fine, my problem is the hard annoying stuff isn't working :D. Put that CFG you posted into the stock revamp folder, didn't seem to do anything. Specifically, the Reliant and Swivel don't seem to need ullage or have ignitions, but the Coxswain does. I do have a pretty boated /gamedata folder at this point, to be fair.

That's the ironic thing, the "easy" stuff like the actual fuel bits seems to work fine, my problem is the hard annoying stuff isn't working :D. Put that CFG you posted into the stock revamp folder, didn't seem to do anything. Specifically, the Reliant and Swivel don't seem to need ullage or have ignitions, but the Coxswain does. I do have a pretty boated /gamedata folder at this point, to be fair.

It should replace an existing file in the RealFuels folder:wink:, but it will only affect the engines that are added by Ven's Stock Revamp. Having two configs for an engine is bad, like crossing the streams bad (ok, not quite that bad), and can cause weird stuff like multiple activate engine buttons (so... dogs and cats living together bad?).

The Reliant and Swivel engines would be in the Stockalike_Squad.cfg, and both of those show up in my game with only 1 ignition. Maybe you don't have the latest Stockalike RF Configs (v2.1.8)? If you look in the Stockalike_Squad.cfg file it should have this under the LV-T45 config:

ModuleEngineIgnitor
{
ignitionsAvailable = 1
useUllageSimulation = true
autoIgnitionTemperature = 800
ignitorType = Electric
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 2

Hmm, nope something's not right. Put the config in /RealFuels. Also verified the numbers in the squad cfg are correct. I'm guessing it's RealPlume maybe?

I don't think RealPlume could affect ullage or ignitions. I'm guessing your RealSettings.cfg have simulateUllage=true and limited ignitions=true. It's probably not this, but an older config could have the same numbers, but it won't have limited ignitions or require ullage ff it looks like this ('MODULE' instead of 'ModuleEngineIgnitor' before the curly bracket)

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngineIgnitor
ignitionsAvailable = 2
autoIgnitionTemperature = 800
ignitorType = Electric
useUllageSimulation = true
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 2
}

Does the "Swivel" show "Ignitions=1" or "Not subject to ullage" when you hover over it it the VAB?

i might just be stupid but how do you get real fuels to work with procedural parts and how do you get the new fuels to work the kw engines

Right click the procedural tank and you'll have options for changing tank type. If engines are attached then you'll have additional buttons for fuel configurations for each engine. Or use the Action Group editor to add fuels to it

You'll need a set of engine configs from the second post in this thread.

Nope, I get nothing at all, VAB or in flight:

http://i.imgur.com/N6QHfby.png

http://i.imgur.com/i1JFXyA.png

You could try removing Real Fuels and the RF Stockalike engine pack, and then deleting the RealFuels folder before reinstalling. Or maybe you have some extra engine configs in some other folder?

You could also try deleting the module manager cache files? Maybe someone with more knowledge about that could chime in?

Hello I have a question regarding procedural parts. I have Real fuels and the RF stockalike mod installed with the 6.4 kerbin solar system mod installed. B4 I installed RF i used to have a Procedural RCS fuel tank .... now i can't find it anywhere is that normal? because now when i put a Procedural fuel tank and itry to put RCS fuel in it i don't have all the Fuel options for it.... P.S I'm in sandbox mode

Edited by Dermeister

Hello I have a question regarding procedural parts. I have Real fuels and the RF stockalike mod installed with the 6.4 kerbin solar system mod installed. B4 I installed RF i used to have a Procedural RCS fuel tank .... now i can't find it anywhere is that normal? because now when i put a Procedural fuel tank and itry to put RCS fuel in it i don't have all the Fuel options for it....

Change the tank type to service module.

Thank you. So I'm not alone with this? it's not a miss installation on my end? Also i switched to Service module and now i can put monoprop but i did a quick test on the launch pad and the rcs ports don't fire... is there anything else i need to do? I switched the Port To use Monoprop at tech level 1 and i filled up a fuel tank in Service module mode with monoprop and it won't use the monoprop and it wont fire.

Edited by Dermeister

Thank you. So I'm not alone with this? it's not a miss installation on my end? Also i switched to Service module and now i can put monoprop but i did a quick test on the launch pad and the rcs ports don't fire... is there anything else i need to do? I switched the Port To use Monoprop at tech level 1 and i filled up a fuel tank in Service module mode with monoprop and it won't use the monoprop and it wont fire.

For some reason editing on my phone deletes my message..

Try hydrazine. With the Stockalike engine pack, the RCS should default to hydrazine. You also should be able to change them to other propellant/bi-propellants.

- - - Updated - - -

If your RCS thrusters aren't attached to your tank, you might need Crossfeed enabler. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76499-1-0-CrossFeedEnabler-v3-3-May-11

I will try and report back. P.S installed RF and this http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81239-Stockalike-RF-Engine-Configs-v2-1-8-7-22-15 but i just noticed in the first post of Realfuels it says i need to install one of the engine configs... wich i did not do i simply installed RF and then the mod from the link i posted... is that a correct install? because i assumed that the mod from the link i posted was an engine config on it's own.

Ok Reporting back... Still no effects i used hydrazine and I'm not burning the resource when i activate RCS nor am i seeing visual effects. of it turning on.

I just saw your update NO the ports aren't on the tank so i might need crossfeed enabler... but usually in ksp for rcs they din't need to be on the tank.. is this new for RF?

Update... i tried to attack them to the tank..... it still doesn't work something is weird...Tried different rcs ports different rcs fuel,technologies ect so it's either I'm stomped :(

Edited by Dermeister

That's an engine pack. Yes, I'm pretty sure Real Fuels changes how the fuel flow works for RCS.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you install ModuleRCSFX when you downloaded the Stockalike engine pack? Did you check you fuel level? Maybe the effects just aren't visible, but they are working.

I'm going to try crossfeed enabler.. if this doesn't work then i have a feeling there's either a bug or i did not install something correctly.

NO i did not install MOduleRCSFX because it said it was optional in the readme if were referring to the same thing.. but i can try to install it see if it fixes my issue. But! if that only does effects i can confirm even though i see no effects, I also don't burn the resource and it's not affecting my ship. so it's not firing at all. but ill BRB ill install the MOduleRCSFX and see if it fixes it.

update The RCSFX fixed it :) i was missing that so it was probably causing the issue... Thanks for the help :) Also quick question Since I'm using the Stock alike config but I'm using the 6.4X solar system will my engines be efficient enough?

Edited by Dermeister

Yes, Real Fuels defaults to realistic mass for the engines and tanks, so they are quite a bit lighter than stock (~1/4 dry mass for tanks). You will still need fairly large rockets to get a significant mass to orbit. I usually use hydrolox upper stages with kerolox or solid (or both) 1st stages in 6.4 scale. My biggest mistake was having too low TWR for my upper stage, or having it burn too long before it reached a significant TWR. This led me to burning at a 45° angle, or higher, sometimes. :)