[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

so i have to mod a soviet engine part  to work as desired? And how can you change the isp of the engines beacuse i made a LOX/LH² engine and the isp is stil 337 instead of 450.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw904_cO3bhvRVhrb2ljWmNUaXM?usp=sharing 

the isp is atmosphere curve i gues based on the nubers that are in it? (i just tested it and is turned out to be correct)

Edited by kerboman25

@Phineas Freak +1 Thanks a lot for your help and yea al my engines are based on real life engines. The engines are not OP by any means. Like i searched for the highest isp UDMH/NTO engine and it turns out to be 340s so i made that engine now (RD-0256). 

it was important to have this engine to make my TSTO that is fully recoverable.

Edited by kerboman25

I have a rocket with a LV-T45 and two RT-10 mounted on the side.  I launch the rocket wirh all three engines burning but when the RT-10 burn out the LT-45 flames out because vapor in line.  How would I get vapor in a fuel line when I am at 100% throttle?

Edited by mcstalker2

@Phineas Freak Well i didn't find any error in the ksp log and so i made a new engine with the same specs and that one showed up in the VAB, so that problem is solved. the only thing that is missing now are the exhaust flames both on the methalox engine and the udmh engine is it a realfuels issue or a realplume issue?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw904_cO3bhvWkw0dkRucWZCaXc?usp=sharing

Edited by kerboman25

If you go on the Cryo engine thread I made a post there. I din't repost it here not to spam so I figured i'd just redirect you to that thread because they are signs that there might be a bug with either Real fuels or Real plumes that has to do with effect for the Cyo engines. More details in the cryo thread. I hope that I have done this as politely as possible! I don't mean to be annoying ect!

EDIT Never mind ifound out what the problem was! it was Real plumes! I think it was user error because when you download an engine config it says it comes with real plumes effects! but it recommends also installing the original Real plumes for the engines that are missing effects. That original Real plumes was causing the plume bug. When I removed it the Cryo engines worked as they should.

Edited by Dermeister

On 1/23/2017 at 11:16 AM, Cratzz said:

Is there a config for RF to use Kerosene for Firespitter engines?

Engine fuel settings are handled by the engine configs. Basically, either the RO configs or by the Stockalike configs. If you're using Stockalike, all engines using just LiquidFuel should switch to Kerosene (for better or worse).

20 hours ago, Cratzz said:

Craft is glued to the ground when tweakscaling C7 Brand Adapter Slanted tank. Anyone else getting this? And no, iv'e checked and it's not Tweakscale.

As pellinor mentioned in the Tweakscale thread, logs would be nice here. Check out this thread for details: 

Anecdotally, I've gotten stuff "stuck" in the launchpad if I don't use launch clamps to move it just off the ground. I suspect physics loading in has something to do with it, but I couldn't say for sure.

Hi everyone.

Wondering if anyone has run into recent issues with engines exploding upon staging in flight.
I can't pinpoint where the problem is, but if I remove RealFuels and the Stockalike Configs, I don't have the issue.

However, I'm finding nothing in the logs to point me toward the problem. The logs simply show that the engine exploded. No exceptions or errors to go with it. The in-flight log says that the engine internals have melted.

I've tried rolling back to the previous version of RealFuels and found no difference. I've tested with a couple different types of engines and builds, Kerbal X included. No matter what, when I stage during a flight, the first stage engines all explode. Some SRB's don't seem to be affected by this, but others are. For what I've seen, all non-solid engines are.

It's not a game-breaker, but something annoying that I can't seem to figure out how to fix.

My next step is a clean reinstall. I've already corrupted my save from trying to troubleshoot this, so not much else to lose at this point.

Was just curious if anyone else has run into an issue like this recently.

In my current career, I've used a MM patch to reduce engine ISP (both atmo and vac) to ~1/3 to account for using this mod in a normal scale Kerbol system, but I'm running into a problem where this seems to result in my craft needing an inordinate amount of fuel for their vacuum stages. For example, I'm working on my first Mun lander probe and my ~800kg payload is requiring ~12,000kg of fuel to get the 2,000m/s dV needed to capture, land, and return. I remember at some point years ago discussing in some thread (might have been this one, but I can't find the interaction through searching) that the reduction in ISP should really only be done for the atmo key and not the vac key, but I can't remember for the life of me in what context that fit so that discussion may be entirely unrelated to this issue.

So I guess the question is, if I'm using a 1/3 ISP multiplier to account for system scale, should that multiplier be applied to all ISPs or just atmo ISPs? I guess the flip side question would be whether or not the fuel quantities I'm experiencing are correct and I'm just being thrown off by having played most careers recently with a more KSP feel by using RF with realistic masses set to false?

Thanks.

@SpaceInvader There's a setting somewhere to increase tank and engine masses to be more in-line with stock.  I think that's more consistent than decreasing Isp (especially since stock engines have pretty realistic Isp values, at least for hypergolic fuels).  I forget where the setting is though.

44 minutes ago, blowfish said:

@SpaceInvader There's a setting somewhere to increase tank and engine masses to be more in-line with stock.  I think that's more consistent than decreasing Isp (especially since stock engines have pretty realistic Isp values, at least for hypergolic fuels).  I forget where the setting is though.

That would be the "userealisticmass = false" in realsettings.cfg. That results in a much more stockalike experience which is what I'm trying to avoid by adjusting the ISPs since I do want larger / more realistic rockets still, I'm just being thrown off by the sudden need for many tons of fuel for the upper stages of my craft.

Edited by SpacedInvader

Also, the issue is not how accurate the stock ISP values are, but rather the amount of dV required to get into orbit on the stock system vs a realistic scale system. Since it takes about 1/3 the dV to get into orbit on a stock Kerbin, that is why I went with a ~1/3 ISP value.

Ah sorry, didn't see the last part of your first post.  Reducing the Isp might have the effect you want.  A Kerbin-Mun transfer burn is somewhere around 800 m/s in stock, wereas a real life Earth-Moon burn is more like 3700 m/s (might be a bit off, I don't remember exactly, and of course it depends on some things).  So needing a lot of fuel for vacuum maneuvers isn't unreasonable.  Hard to say where it will be reasonable and where it won't.  You may run into issues with burn times though, as the Kerbin system's (generally) shorter orbital periods mean that long burns are much less viable than in real life.

Just now, blowfish said:

Ah sorry, didn't see the last part of your first post.  Reducing the Isp might have the effect you want.  A Kerbin-Mun transfer burn is somewhere around 800 m/s in stock, wereas a real life Earth-Moon burn is more like 3700 m/s (might be a bit off, I don't remember exactly, and of course it depends on some things).  So needing a lot of fuel for vacuum maneuvers isn't unreasonable.  Hard to say where it will be reasonable and where it won't.  You may run into issues with burn times though, as the Kerbin system's (generally) shorter orbital periods mean that long burns are much less viable than in real life.

I hadn't even thought about burn times, though I haven't had a problem as of yet within the kerbin soi. That could be because I have yet to use propulsion that requires more than ~60s of burn time though.

After doing some testing, I'm really feeling that reducing ISP in this fashion is not a viable way to get the desired outcome, at least with Kerbin-Scale parts. For example, trying to do an Apollo-style crewed Mun mission results in a need for ~75 tons of fuel in the service module, leading to a tank that is 14m long if you want to keep the same diameter as the Mk1-2 pod. What has me confused though is how much more fuel mass seems to be required for this reduced ISP system than for real values... unless I'm reading the stats wrong, Apollo 11 launched with a mass of ~45 tons, which means a similar mission with scaled ISP in the Kerbin system should have similar values, but instead the mass of the command module + lander is approximately double.

EDIT: Does ISP scale in a linear fashion?

Edited by SpacedInvader

Hi :) 

I'm having trouble with real fuel and the stockalike config, I don't have spoolup time when igniting engines, anyone have the link to the other configs for real fuels ? since RO isn't updated yet, I don't know if there is one.. 

also Can I just installed Real fuel without any other configs?  (like RF stockalike ) 

edit: I tested with just real fuel and it doesn't work..

I don't know why i just have this instant power response, i think i may have to wait until RO is updated ..

Edited by Alex38

5 hours ago, Alex38 said:

Hi :) 

I'm having trouble with real fuel and the stockalike config, I don't have spoolup time when igniting engines, anyone have the link to the other configs for real fuels ? since RO isn't updated yet, I don't know if there is one.. 

also Can I just installed Real fuel without any other configs?  (like RF stockalike ) 

edit: I tested with just real fuel and it doesn't work..

I don't know why i just have this instant power response, i think i may have to wait until RO is updated ..

As it says on the front page, a separate set of engine configs is necessary. You cannot use RF without engine configs.

Spoolup is something that has to be configured. Engines are instant on by default.