[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

12 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Soon. I've been inactive for awhile due to holidays, cat sanctuary matters and PC hard drive problems prompting an emergency (and sloppily done) data migration. I've just this week gotten things back together again with GitHub and Visual Studios. I already have a functioning Real Fuels for KSP 1.8 and now I just have to get it packaged up. I've had it for awhile actually but I wanted to make sure it was free of certain issues that came to light over a month ago and then just today it was brought to my attention that there was a UI issue that can pop up with slider UIs. (where if the min and max values are the same for UI_FloatRange it can lock up multiple PAW elements - basically everything after the first afflicted element)

So, expect it soon.

That's really great to hear! I'll happily wait for the release then. Thanks!

BTW, @Starwaster, I know this really has nothing to do with RF, but you've been around a long time and I trust your opinion, so I'm going to ask it anyway. A couple of sources have mentioned that 1.8.x is one of the most unstable builds they'd seen and recommended using 1.7.3 even if all my desired mods supported 1.8.x since my goal is to run a very long career mode playthrough (the goal is to have an MKS colony or research base on every planet not only in the stock system, but also OPM and Extrasolar... so something like 30+ colonies or bases). Their experiences were that you're rarely able to play for more than an hour before the game CTDs without warning, causing lots of lost progress, and as such, the recommendation is to use 1.7.3 because its far more stable, even if it doesn't have the performance improvements that came with 1.8.x. Anyway, I'd really like to know what your thoughts would be about this topic.

Thanks

Edited by SpacedInvader

On 2/5/2020 at 2:33 AM, SpacedInvader said:

BTW, @Starwaster, I know this really has nothing to do with RF, but you've been around a long time and I trust your opinion, so I'm going to ask it anyway. A couple of sources have mentioned that 1.8.x is one of the most unstable builds they'd seen and recommended using 1.7.3 even if all my desired mods supported 1.8.x since my goal is to run a very long career mode playthrough (the goal is to have an MKS colony or research base on every planet not only in the stock system, but also OPM and Extrasolar... so something like 30+ colonies or bases). Their experiences were that you're rarely able to play for more than an hour before the game CTDs without warning, causing lots of lost progress, and as such, the recommendation is to use 1.7.3 because its far more stable, even if it doesn't have the performance improvements that came with 1.8.x. Anyway, I'd really like to know what your thoughts would be about this topic.

Thanks

I haven't found it to be particularly crash prone but there is something that can cause it to freeze, and it doesn't seem to happen to everyone, and not necessarily all of the time. (although for some it seems to be consistent)

And what causes that seems to be calling MonoBehaviour constructors before they've been initialized in Unity. The current release of Deadly Reentry seems to have that issue so there's going to be another release of that with the offending code reworked. Real Fuels had a few places that could potentially have triggered it (though I didn't experience that myself). LGG apparently had to go through quite a bit of code given the large number of mods he administers/maintains.

Maybe the same thing was what caused your sources problems. But again, I only know of it causing the game to hang, not to crash outright.

On 2/6/2020 at 5:58 PM, Starwaster said:

I haven't found it to be particularly crash prone but there is something that can cause it to freeze, and it doesn't seem to happen to everyone, and not necessarily all of the time. (although for some it seems to be consistent)

And what causes that seems to be calling MonoBehaviour constructors before they've been initialized in Unity. The current release of Deadly Reentry seems to have that issue so there's going to be another release of that with the offending code reworked. Real Fuels had a few places that could potentially have triggered it (though I didn't experience that myself). LGG apparently had to go through quite a bit of code given the large number of mods he administers/maintains.

Maybe the same thing was what caused your sources problems. But again, I only know of it causing the game to hang, not to crash outright.

Hmm, ok, I can see how that might be an issue, though I'm by no means experienced with Unity. My limited programming experience would tell me that calling something before its been initialized would lead to problems, though. I'll keep an eye out for the new version of Deadly Reentry since that's also on my "must have" list. I can imagine LGG would have had a lot of work on his hands... he's taken on such a critical role in maintaining so many really great mods, I don't know what this community would have done without him. As for my sources, it was just a couple of people who responded on Reddit when I'd asked about which version of KSP I should take, so I can't really be sure what they actually experienced, but my guess is that this is the culprit as it sounds like a respectable collection of commonly used mods suffered from it.

Whatever the case, thanks for the detailed info and I'll look forward to the updated RF when you release it.

On 2/16/2020 at 4:54 PM, Starwaster said:

Real Fuels Update for KSP 1.8

Updated and some bug fixes dealing with procedural part handling and PAW and window handling. 

https://github.com/NathanKell/ModularFuelSystem/releases/tag/rf-v12.8.4.1

There's a minor syntax error in the version file, fix submitted here:

• 3 weeks later...
[EXC 21:59:55.861] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ModelMultiShurikenPersistFX.UpdateEmitters (Single power)
	ModelMultiShurikenPersistFX.OnEvent (Single power)
	ModelMultiShurikenPersistFX.OnEvent (Single power, Int32 transformIdx)
	EffectList.Event (System.String eventName, Single power, Int32 transformIdx)
	Part.Effect (System.String effectName, Single effectPower, Int32 transformIdx)
	SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.FXUpdate ()
	SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.FixedUpdate ()
	RealFuels.ModuleEnginesRF.FixedUpdate ()

Spammed every FixedUpdate while running certain engines (encountered with RealismOverhaul's RD-108)... This causes the game to run at about two seconds per frame, but aside from particle issues nothing seems to be going wrong. What's going on here? Is there any way to just suppress this error, if all else fails?

Edited by Ithirahad

1 hour ago, Ithirahad said:

[EXC 21:59:55.861] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ModelMultiShurikenPersistFX.UpdateEmitters (Single power)
	ModelMultiShurikenPersistFX.OnEvent (Single power)
	ModelMultiShurikenPersistFX.OnEvent (Single power, Int32 transformIdx)
	EffectList.Event (System.String eventName, Single power, Int32 transformIdx)
	Part.Effect (System.String effectName, Single effectPower, Int32 transformIdx)
	SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.FXUpdate ()
	SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.FixedUpdate ()
	RealFuels.ModuleEnginesRF.FixedUpdate ()

Spammed every FixedUpdate while running certain engines (encountered with RealismOverhaul's RD-108)... This causes the game to run at about two seconds per frame, but aside from particle issues nothing seems to be going wrong. What's going on here? Is there any way to just suppress this error, if all else fails?

It’s not a Real Fuels issue. It’s probably an RO config

Edited by Starwaster

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, acr_8133 said:

no compatibility with RLA_Reborn and Restock+?

You're probably looking for the RF Stockalike thread (RF doesn't configure anything by yourself).  But even there you're better off learning how to do the configuration and submitting it rather than just ask-complaining about it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SO I quickly read through here so i'm sorry if this has been asked before. I haven't played ksp in years and I just now got back into Real fuels with RSS on ksp 1.8.1 And I love RSS but I don't like the RO so I was wondering if I downloaded REal engines and theres missing options in game to right click on the engines and configure the tech levels it's because i'm missing RO? What does one have to download to get the engines to work properly in RSS using realfuels but with out using RO? do I just get the default config by raptor posted in the RF post? but then won't that under perform the engines for the Real solar system? Thanks for the help in advance i'm sure for you veteran players out there it's an easy question to answer but I've been out of the game so long I can't remember what I had to get to make it work properly! and yes I did read the post on RF forum but also a lot of the links are dead.

20 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Are there plans for 1.9.1 compatibility? 

I'm currently using it in a heavily modified 1.9.x game (no RSS/RO, just stock-alike configs, with BDB, KWRocketry, NovaPunch, and Procedural Parts) and have not run into any issues so far. I haven't checked my debug log while playing, but I haven't had any crashes.

Edited by shoe7ess
syntax

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 12:28 PM, New Horizons said:

Is there an description about engine types. What does enginetype = U stands for exactly? Is this for some kind of upper stage engines?

The readme contains information about the different types under Tech Level

On 5/11/2020 at 8:31 AM, tinygrox said:

Can you use the resource's displayName instead of name? Or can you show me how?

I want to do localization of Real Fuels.

But I was failed to get the resource's displayName. :/

Resources are handled by Community Resource Pack which has localization for a number of languages already.

https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/tree/master/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/CommunityResourcePack/Localization

See how they handle it there and consider doing a pull request to CRP for the language you want to add support for.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:35 AM, Starwaster said:

Resources are handled by Community Resource Pack which has localization for a number of languages already.

nah, that is not what I meant. My point is that its CODE is using the resource's field which is "name" to display the resource in the window instead of field "displayName".

Edited by tinygrox

On 5/23/2020 at 10:49 AM, tinygrox said:

nah, that is not what I meant. My point is that its CODE is using the resource's field which is "name" to display the resource in the window instead of field "displayName".

Can you give a specific example of that happening?

• 2 weeks later...

I use engine configs to change engine values in AJE-Extended. Everything works fine but every engine has the following errors spammed to the log:

Module ModuleEngineConfigs threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.SetConfiguration (System.String newConfiguration, System.Boolean resetTechLevels) [0x000a8] in <8f51b17657a546bc9d737ed47d61667b>:0 
  at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.OnLoad (ConfigNode node) [0x001a7] in <8f51b17657a546bc9d737ed47d61667b>:0 
  at PartModule.Load (ConfigNode node) [0x001ab] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 

Presumably I'm not setting something correctly, but I'm not sure what. It seems to reference techlevels, but setting those prevents the game from loading (they're also not relevant to my use case). I suspect there's some issues trying to get ModuleEngineConfigs to work with AJE engine modules, not really sure it's designed for it.

Am I just trying to beat ModuleEngineConfigs into a square hole? Is there some way around this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 11:57 AM, Citizen247 said:

I use engine configs to change engine values in AJE-Extended. Everything works fine but every engine has the following errors spammed to the log:

Module ModuleEngineConfigs threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.SetConfiguration (System.String newConfiguration, System.Boolean resetTechLevels) [0x000a8] in <8f51b17657a546bc9d737ed47d61667b>:0 
  at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.OnLoad (ConfigNode node) [0x001a7] in <8f51b17657a546bc9d737ed47d61667b>:0 
  at PartModule.Load (ConfigNode node) [0x001ab] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 

Presumably I'm not setting something correctly, but I'm not sure what. It seems to reference techlevels, but setting those prevents the game from loading (they're also not relevant to my use case). I suspect there's some issues trying to get ModuleEngineConfigs to work with AJE engine modules, not really sure it's designed for it.

Am I just trying to beat ModuleEngineConfigs into a square hole? Is there some way around this?

You're not the only one.  It's ALWAYS associated with AJE or AJEE

My KSP.log has same errors (66):

(Search: Module ModuleEngineConfigs threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object)

This is the typical section of the log for one of the repeating errors.   

[LOG 20:14:15.390] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AirplanePlus/Parts/Engine/Early/51/part/AJEE_NapierLion_Prop'
[WRN 20:14:15.393] PartLoader Warning: Variable base_diameter not found in Part
[WRN 20:14:15.393] PartLoader Warning: Variable AJEE_thrustTransformName not found in Part
[WRN 20:14:15.393] PartLoader Warning: Variable oldMaxTemp not found in Part
[WRN 20:14:15.393] PartLoader Warning: Variable tempMult not found in Part
[LOG 20:14:15.411] *AJE* Setting boost params. MaxMP = 204853, boosts = 1/0, switch 0 from 0@0, 0@0
[LOG 20:14:15.412] *AJE* Setting volumetric efficiency. At SL with MAP 101325, power = 480HP, BSFC = 1.26E-07, mda/f = 0.478665009148917/0.0484408950970561, VE = 0.889458382328912. Orig a/f: 0.538153351138931/0.0544611148306017
[LOG 20:14:15.416] *AJE* Constructed prop of type 10ftFP, RPM 0, pitch 30/30, RPMs 763.2/1049.4, Diam 3.048m, Ixx 33.8954487275J. CS? 0
[LOG 20:14:15.423] *RF* Loading RFSETTINGS global settings
[ERR 20:14:15.427] Module ModuleEngineConfigs threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModule.Load (ConfigNode node) [0x001ab] in <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0 

[LOG 20:14:15.450] PartLoader: Part 'AirplanePlus/Parts/Engine/Early/51/part/AJEE_NapierLion_Prop' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 20:14:15.463] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'AJEE.NapierLion.Prop'
[LOG 20:14:15.467] [Telemachus Debug] Flight globals was null during start up; skipping update of vessel change.
[LOG 20:14:15.498] [Telemachus Debug] Flight globals was null during start up; skipping update of vessel change.
[LOG 20:14:15.502] *AJE* Setting boost params. MaxMP = 204853, boosts = 1/0, switch 0 from 0@0, 0@0
[LOG 20:14:15.502] *AJE* Setting volumetric efficiency. At SL with MAP 101325, power = 480HP, BSFC = 1.26E-07, mda/f = 0.478665009148917/0.0484408950970561, VE = 0.889458382328912. Orig a/f: 0.538153351138931/0.0544611148306017
[LOG 20:14:15.505] *AJE* Constructed prop of type 10ftFP, RPM 0, pitch 30/30, RPMs 763.2/1049.4, Diam 3.048m, Ixx 33.8954487275J. CS? 0
[LOG 20:14:15.511] [Telemachus Debug] Flight globals was null during start up; skipping update of vessel change.
[LOG 20:14:15.511] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AirplanePlus/Parts/Engine/Early/51/part/AJEE_BMWVI_Prop'

base_diameter & AJEE_thrustTransformName are AJEExtended.

oldMaxTemp & tempMult are DeadlyReentry.

AJE does it's thing and then RF trips down the stairs.

But, it's def an unholy interaction between AJEE & RF because these are only AJEE cfgs that are affected.  Now, I have some configs that are not processed because of unmet :NEEDS (SXT, KAX); so, I'm kinda guessing it'd end-up being the same story with those.

I wonder if it's because there is no techLevel in those configs?  no techLevel and RF errors when trying to resetTechLevel.